CrazyList and Crazylending

I couldn't figure out where to post this, so I guess it goes here? Anyway, I was in a bookstore today wandering and drooling over all the stuff I love when I came across a copy of a book I am dying to read by Lois Mcmaster Bujold. The problem is, I am totally broke and I can't afford to lay down the $25.00 plus tax to buy a brand new shiny hardback and the libraries around me won't have it for a while. Then inspiration dawned. Lots of the users of this site have financial problems and can't afford stuff they really want or need. So, could a board subset dedicated to listing things be set up here at the site for barter or exchange between members? This could be books, could be other things and the next stage approach evolution from the initial approach is to figure out a way to add in small micro-payments somewhere in that chain. Users would have to develop a degree of trust with other users of course and I'm sure their is a forest full of bugs I'm missing but I think the initial idea is a possible one.

I'd try paperspine.com. The problem I'd foresee with something like that here is that it could end up being like a post saying "I'm looking for Donna Tartt's Secret History" has a covert meaning of "I'll pay xxx for xxx xanax" or whatever. It could be really cool (not the drug soliciting part) or it could have the potential to open up the owners of this site to liability. Also, I like this site and I've met a lot of awesome people here but even still I'm wary of even giving my first name in chat. Call it self-preservation or call it paranoia, but I'd reckon some others feel the same. All that said, I hope you get your hands or that book!

May I suggest the library and CraigsList?

CB is based on anonymity for a few reasons. I doubt that we'd create a board for members to share personal info like names and addresses. We actually discourage sharing personal info. I'm also fairly sure that no mod wants to set up an outpost from which sundry articles can be mailed hither and yon. But I could be wrong.

It's a nice idea Outrider, just not so practical.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the idea. There are other places on the net dedicated to that purpose. If people want to disclose their personal information to others on crazyboards that's their choice but we really don't want to encourage it.

We also don't want to create the potential environment where crazyboards members can screw over other crazyboards members and then expect crazyboards staff to somehow rectify the situation.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the idea. There are other places on the net dedicated to that purpose. If people want to disclose their personal information to others on crazyboards that's their choice but we really don't want to encourage it.

We also don't want to create the potential environment where crazyboards members can screw over other crazyboards members and then expect crazyboards staff to somehow rectify the situation.

I was fairly sure it didn't hold together, but it seemed like an interesting set of concepts that didn't hold together. Le *sigh*

Archived