CrazyBoards.org

I reacted to that doctors in Sweden use much lower doses of Lithium. 126 mg is considered an average/high dose. Then I noted that my PI sheet said Lithium Sulphate , not carbonate as is stated in CrazyMeds.

What is the deal with this?

Thank goodness we don't have to rub the pills into the skin anymore.  :)

A.M.

Strungout,  Do you have a pipeline wired to your house from some hidden biochemical-pharma-medico database?  Where do you get this stuff?  You are making my research attempt look feeble.  ;)

Something to keep in mind if I get that bursary to study in Helsinki, I suppose.  Thanks for bringing this up.  :)

As for your question... I haven't found any comprehensible information in my brief searches, so I'll leave this to the research masters.  What information I have found suggests both formulations are absorbed at similar rates, but I could be reading it wrong.  I'm a freshman of not-science. 

In most cases, though, intelligent pdocs tend to start patients at a low dose, then slowly move up based on some intuitive balancing act between patient response and serum level.  On lithium carbonate, what is effective for one person could be half of what another person takes.  I imagine similar principles would apply to lithium sulphate. 

If there's a study out there giving a better answer, I'm confident AM and SOOL can find it -- and highlight or even translate the money quote.  ;)

This study from 2000 says:

Subjects continued to receive the same antidepressant throughout the 6-week acute treatment phase (dose reductions of 20% or less were allowed only if side effects occurred) and received either lithium carbonate or lithium sulfate at an initial dose of 450 mg/day (carbonate) or 660 mg/day (sulfate). Lithium carbonate was increased to 675

Archived