CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Recluse

Compulsive Lying

Guest Recluse

[Deleted due to sensitive information about a family member.]

Edited by Recluse

Recluse,

thank you for this post. It is a really interesting concept, one that I can relate to on so many levels. From the difficulty I had with the fictions I spun as a child, that turned into lies, to make my life seem more 'interesting'; to even now, the urge to embellish, even slightly, on an account or story that requires no augmentation to hold peoples interest or attention. It is amazing how it takes root so deep, to becomes a substitute personality in many ways.

And sadly, like most substitutes - coke zero; equal; margarine - its just not the same as the real thing. Which is why the personality seems so unfulfilled, so incomplete. I hope a lot of people end up reading this.

dc

Guest Recluse

And sadly, like most substitutes - coke zero; equal; margarine - its just not the same as the real thing. Which is why the personality seems so unfulfilled, so incomplete.

That's a really accurate metaphor though, even after lying, it seems like there's this urge to grasp for more and more, as though the lies don't satisfy like the truth would. In my mothers case, there's a visible snowball effect in situations like that where she gets a small reward for the lie, then gains momentum and works harder and gets, frankly, weirder. I'm learning as we go that the less I acknowledge the embellishments in favor of what seems realistic in her stories, the less she feels inclined to do it...it's ham-handed negative reinforcement, but it works on some level.

On a totally unrelated note, coke zero isn't too bad, sweet n' low is my home-slice, but margarine I just can't stand.

Edited by Recluse

That was fascinating. I've always been a fantasy exaggerator and had to work on this really hard in Aa under my personality defects. I do a lot better.

there was a time in my life when i would say it was raining, when it was sunny, just because. and I have a really strong fantasy life.

I'm glad this is no longer as necesary for me, though i still somtemies catch myself in white lies and have to speak the truth, no fun, eh?

Lies are exhausting to keep track of, I have found. really take a hell of a lot of energy. so glad I can spend it elsewhere....

But, necessary... Anna

I don't know if I'm a compulsive liar but I definitely hide the truth. Meaning I Lie. I lie to protect myself. To not appear weak or pathetic. I hope someday I can be more honest. And okay with myself enough to tell the truth.

I was going to call myself a hyperbolic communicator, but Anna said it better. I max out everything that happens to me, it always is the WORST or the BEST, or the MOST or the LEAST.

I think I have already seen this posted on the boards, but just in case, I love the "cartoon" blog Hyperbole and a Half. If you haven't read it before, you must start with her Xmas post: The Year Kenny Loggins Ruined Christmas.

Thanks for this post. It was a very good read. I wouldn't say I was a compulsive liar, instead, I was more of an impulsive liar. I would do it as a way to manipulate and control whatever, usually, bad situation I dug myself into , in order to regain a sense of balance. This was something I was VERY good at. Anyway, very frequently, this revolved around report cards and stolen objects, within my household (occasionally in the outside world). Now, I think I have a very good grip on it. Aside from medication, I try to actually think before I blurt out something completely false and simply state the truth. There are times I slip up, but, they are almost nonexistent. :)

Edited by under_Reconstruction

I was going to call myself a hyperbolic communicator, but Anna said it better. I max out everything that happens to me, it always is the WORST or the BEST, or the MOST or the LEAST.

I think I have already seen this posted on the boards, but just in case, I love the "cartoon" blog Hyperbole and a Half. If you haven't read it before, you must start with her Xmas post: The Year Kenny Loggins Ruined Christmas.

So, this is definitely veering a little off topic, but I'm wondering, with maxing everything out - such a great way to put it - which I totally do too, is it more of a communicative thing, or a perceptive thing? Because not only do I tend to talk about things in terms of the best, or worst, most, or least, etc., that's also how I think about them. Which is quite possibly an artifact of the crazy, I'm thinking.

And that first sentence is so hideously constructed, I can't even begin to figure out how to fix it, Wow.