switching between almost everything

Hello,

I've been switching and switching anti-psychotics. I settled on seroquel regular and xr for over a year until my insurance wouldn't cover the 800mg dose I required however they were offering coverage for only 400mg. That was not enough so I switched back to risperdal which I have taken in the past. I had the same weight gain problem with both risperdal and seroquel. I tried geodon but it totally left me feeling too tired to walk. I did walk however it took an incredible amount of effort due to the drugs tiring side effects. I thought geodon would be the answer to my weight gain but infortunately was not. No use in battling weight gain with a diet plan. When your on a weight gain anti-psychotic. My question before I look into haldol is has anybody ever experienced a weight neutral, non energy sapping drug or are my options over with? I tried abilify also terrible insomnia problems three days no sleep and I continued for a month trying to get it to work with no luck. Well thank you people.

LWD

when i was in hospital they refused to give me typical antipsychotics coz they said the side effects were BAD. mainly parkinsons side effects and extrapyramidal symptoms also they said u have a high risk of developing tardive dyskinesia and they said atypicals have taken over coz there side effects are better. basically i live in aus and typical antipsychotics are hardly ever used anymore coz they are from the 1950's and 60's and their side effects are nasty so no wonder the atypicals have taken over!

when i asked my pdoc how many people does he have on typical aps he replied "NONE i have switched all my patients to atypical antipsychotics"

Hey there. I literally have tried all of the AAP's too. Saphris, Fanapt, risperdal, invega, geodon, abilify, seroquel, zyprexa zydis.......

So yeah. None really work fabulous to me so I finally just have to acknowledge that none of them will be the magic pill I'm looking for. My pdoc says the same thing. Sometimes meds just don't do much for certain cases. The rest has to be done with therapy to manage. My pdoc even said I have to pick one and not switch anymore. I wish I could take one of the weight neutral ones, but abilify is too activating and doesn't treat my psychosis well enough and geodon just flat out doesn't work for me even at 240mg.

I will tell you though that the second time I tried geodon the sedation was no longer there.

And abilify works great for some if you can get past the insomnia. Have you tried sleep aids (trazodone, ambien, rozerem, lunesta, remeron, etc.) to counteract the insomnia side effect of abilify.

Lastly, I'm on zyprexa zydis currently and it works ok, but I'm getting that overeating side effect that I got with seroquel and saphris. I'm really trying to work on this though because so far I sleep like a baby with 20mg zyprexa zydis and 200mg trazodone. But sometimes I even sleep during the day for hours at a time. This usually only occurs when I overeat however.

I've never been on the typical AP's like haldol or thorazine, etc.

But I'll list side effects from each AAP that I got (remember though YMMV big time!)

Saphris - got up and HAD to eat about an hour or two after taking it. But slept like a baby and it worked pretty well. It did give me restless leg symptoms if I stayed up too late after taking it. I would also consider trying it again if it came down to it even though I gained close to fifty lbs on it.

Fanapt - I kind of went crazy because you have to be slow at titrating up the dose. My body couldn't wait that long and I went even more psychotic. I was having psychosis, panic attacks, and insomnia. But I didn't really give it a fair try I guess you could say.

risperdal/invega - These worked pretty well for me. Invega better than risperdal. I was on 6mg risperdal then switched to 12mg of invega. The only real problem that freaked me the heck out was lactation. Ugh. And a small amount of weight gain. But this is one I will beg to go back on if it comes down to it.

geodon - This plain old jane old doesn't work for me at any dose (even up to 240mg!). I stay psychotic and panicky. I did sleep well though without a sleep aid even! And the day time sedation didn't occur the second time I tried it. I wouldn't go back on this one though simply because it just doesn't work for me!

abilify - Abilify I have a love hate relationship with. It gives me lots of energy and doesn't sedate me. I do need a sleep aid with it however. It just doesn't work that well on my mania or psychosis. In fact, it may have led to this nasty mixed episode that I'm currently in. I really wish I could stay on abilify though as I lost so much weight on it. I'm so mad that I had to stop it. I also don't get quality sleep on it either even with a sleep aid.

seroquel - I tried this for several months inpatient. It gave me restless leg symptoms. I slept good though. I did gain weight on it. But then again it wasn't like I was super active while inpatient and psychotically depressed.

zyprexa (zydis) - It's what I'm currently on. I overeat half the time during the day. (I really am trying to work on this) I sleep like a baby. Sometimes I sleep for many hours during the day as well. My head feels clearer than it was before. It's working well for my psychosis and even a tad for my anxiety to boot. I am terrified of gaining a ton of weight though and getting diabetes. So I'm not sure of the likelihood of me being med-compliant with this one is.

So basically I've tried all the AAP's like you and I feel fucked. I feel like I've got to settle on one and stick to it. I have given all these a fair try (with the exception of fanapt) of at least 3 months to 2 years. So no one can say that I didn't "try" them appropriately.

Like you I'm not sure if a typical AP is next on the list for me. I really am opposed to taking one though because I fear TD so badly.

That's a shame. Typical antipsychotics are good meds.

oh really if there so good why is it when someone is first given an antipsychotic its an atypical? why not try a typical first? and only after ALL the atypicals are tried then they only give a typical? why not give a typical when only 1 atypical fails? ITS coz typical antipsychotics are well known for their crap side effects. atypicals acutally treat the negative symptoms of schizophrenia better than the typicals who dont touch it. my pdoc says the atypicals are more effective than the typicals regardless of what someone on here says. id rather believe a doctor who has years of experience than what someone on here has said who has ZERO experience and only gets their information from the internet. CASE CLOSED.

That's a shame. Typical antipsychotics are good meds.

oh really if there so good why is it when someone is first given an antipsychotic its an atypical? why not try a typical first? and only after ALL the atypicals are tried then they only give a typical? why not give a typical when only 1 atypical fails? ITS coz typical antipsychotics are well known for their crap side effects. atypicals acutally treat the negative symptoms of schizophrenia better than the typicals who dont touch it. my pdoc says the atypicals are more effective than the typicals regardless of what someone on here says. id rather believe a doctor who has years of experience than what someone on here has said who has ZERO experience and only gets their information from the internet. CASE CLOSED.

Actually, Sylvan was speaking from her own experience. That of having taken the meds she mentioned. If you aren't interested in what people have to say about meds they've taken, I don't really understand what you're doing here. There are no doctors, or other mental health care providers, posting here in anything like a professional capacity. We're just a bunch of crazy people, talking about what our experiences with our disorders, and our meds, have been.

I can't speak for Sylvan, but, FWIW, when looking for info. about meds I haven't taken, or for more info. on those I have, I tend to go for studies published in peer reviewed journals. Granted, I do find those on the internet but I don't really see how that renders them invalid. While we're on the subject of peer reviewed studies, last I checked, about 5 minutes ago, the jury was still out as to whether or not the atypicals actually were any more effective than the typicals. Though they certainly have different side effect profiles, both groups carry the potential for some pretty crappy side effects.

Lastly, your hostility here is completely inappropriate and unwarranted. I don't know why it would upset you so for Sylvan to discuss her experiences with, and opinions of, meds. Whatever the reason, it's maybe something you should address in therapy instead.

i apologize its just my pdoc says something then someone on the net says the complete opposite. so who should i believe?

Hey there. I literally have tried all of the AAP's too. Saphris, Fanapt, risperdal, invega, geodon, abilify, seroquel, zyprexa zydis.......

So yeah. None really work fabulous to me so I finally just have to acknowledge that none of them will be the magic pill I'm looking for. My pdoc says the same thing.

u didnt mention clozapine. its used when other antipsychotics havent worked. a last resort coz ur white blood count can drop so u have to have constant blood tests to check for it. some of the doctors say its the "best" antipsychotic. even on the net it says its more effective than other antipsychotics.

i apologize its just my pdoc says something then someone on the net says the complete opposite. so who should i believe?

Honestly? Your doctor's approach sounds a little extreme to me, and makes me wonder how much time he spends with pharma reps. Generally, though, I wouldn't believe either one, I'd check it out for myself.

I take Geodon (known as Zeldox here in Canada) and the sedating effect only lasted two weeks at 40mg BID. When I went up to 120mg it feels like it gives me energy rather than taking it away.

I loved haloperidol when I was on it in the hospital, it worked 100% but I will warn you that the potential long-term effects can be serious. There are drugs to manage most of them if and when they happen but.. still.

And I thought I'd just throw in my $0.02 and say to stay away from Thorazine unless you really want diabetes.

I loved haloperidol when I was on it in the hospital, it worked 100% but I will warn you that the potential long-term effects can be serious. There are drugs to manage most of them if and when they happen but.. still.

And I thought I'd just throw in my $0.02 and say to stay away from Thorazine unless you really want diabetes.

when he talks about long term effects i guess hes talking about tardive dykinesia. it can be permanent and is more common with the typicals which is why im against them. its still possible to get it with the atypicals BUT anything is possbile like getting hit by lightning or winning the lottery. i mean HOW often does that happen to you?

when he talks about long term effects i guess hes talking about tardive dykinesia. it can be permanent and is more common with the typicals which is why im against them. its still possible to get it with the atypicals BUT anything is possbile like getting hit by lightning or winning the lottery. i mean HOW often does that happen to you?

Me? Seven times.

Right. With the atypicals the bigger risk is weight gain, and all of the health problems that can accompany that, including diabetes.

Right. With the atypicals the bigger risk is weight gain, and all of the health problems that can accompany that, including diabetes.

but u can do something about the weight gain. its called exercise. BUT u cant do NOTHING about tardive dykinesia coz its permanent. which would u rather prefer weight gain which u can do SOMETHING about or TD where ur stuck with it and can do nothing about?

The fact is, typicals have a higher risk of TD, however not as high as many studies show. Doctors now realize that they were dosing too high of the typical antipsychotics. 30mg of haldol used to be a moderate dose. Now a hefty dose is 10. The risk is greatly diminished because of that, and while it still exists, if it starts to happen you can discontinue the medication before you have long term issues.

Also, atypicals don't have NO risk of TD, they have LESS. And, you are able to get TD from other medications other than antipsychotics. I have a tongue tremor form a stomach medication I was on PRN for a few weeks.

If you are in Australia, as I think you said you were, have you tried Solian? Its available here and used a lot more than it is in the USA. Its an atypical that is a lot like the older typicals, I think. I am on a low dose of it, after trying all the other atypicals except Clozapine.

For me, Solian is weight neutral and non energy-sapping, though I did get akathisia from it on doses above 300mg.

Perhaps that's one to try?

but u can do something about the weight gain. its called exercise. BUT u cant do NOTHING about tardive dykinesia coz its permanent. which would u rather prefer weight gain which u can do SOMETHING about or TD where ur stuck with it and can do nothing about?

Exercise all you want on Zyprexa, Seroquel, Risperdal... it's MIGHTY FUCKING HARD to NOT gain weight on those, even if you go to the gym every day.

@llama44

No I did not have any sleep aids while on abilify. Invega worked better than risperdal? How was your perception was it clear? I admit zyprexa worked like a charm is what they gave me in the emergency room and sent me home a couple times. Ate a lot and slept well. You tried a lot must of been hard work. How was your hostility while on Invega?

LWD

Swanny, perhaps you could benefit from some education on how atypicals can effect the metabolic systems. This link is on some potential Zyprexa side effects. They are significant. Over eating is not the cause. The atypical is. Ely Lily, the manufacturer of Zyprexa has already paid out over a billion for overstating efficacy and understating side effect risks. Class action suits continue. Zyprexa is the leader in this regard, but there are other atypical antipsychotics with similar problems.

The difference between atypical antipsychotics and typicals is the type of side effects, not that atypicals have no significant ones. The other difference is that typicals have been around for decades. The problems that come with them have been vetted with time. Typicals, as mentioned earlier, are now prescribed at lower doses. They side effect profile when prescribed at these lower doses is less than rumored. Atypicals, conversely, are new kids on the block. Time is only now starting to reveal the real rate and type of side effects. Both are higher than we were originally told. I'm not saying odds are high of a problem and that folks should not take APs or AAPs, just that APs are now recognized as perhaps not so much more risky.

So, I see all this as a good reason to do some research instead of blindly accepting your pdoc's word. This is not to say that you pdoc is bad. It is not to say that he lied to you. It is to say he has a bias and has not presented the whole picture to you. That could be because he has not had time or any of a number of reasons including that he didn't think it important that you know.

Actually, that is not entirely true. More and more studies are showing that some people on AAP's gain weight regardless of diet or exercise. I'm not going to pretend I understand how that works, but it does seem to happen. And for some people, stopping the med doesn't seem to mean they lose the weight. And there is still some risk of TD.

@llama44

No I did not have any sleep aids while on abilify. Invega worked better than risperdal? How was your perception was it clear? I admit zyprexa worked like a charm is what they gave me in the emergency room and sent me home a couple times. Ate a lot and slept well. You tried a lot must of been hard work. How was your hostility while on Invega?

LWD

My mind was clear on invega. I guess I haven't tried clozaril. And yes zyprexa works well bit at what cost???? Ugh I don't know anymore. I wish you luck in your search.

Archived