CrazyBoards.org

Abilify - Protocol for Tapering Off?

What does your pdoc say?  It's generally understood to be a Very.Bad.Idea to stop any crazy med cold turkey, unless it's causing a life threatening condition and you're in the hospital.  Or unless you're already at the lowest dose.

Jerod usually gives guidelines for tapering off something, but the Abilify write-up isn't as complete as many of the others.  And I don't even see it in the PI sheet that I have.  Hopefully folks who have done it will chime in here and give you something to talk to your pdoc about.  My daughter is at 5mg right now, down from 15mg, and I'm not sure what the next drop-off will be; if we'll have to cut it in half, or just stop it. Her pdoc is back from vacation next week and we'll find out.

Good luck!

If it's intolerable, quit taking it.  If after a while of not taking it discontinuation effects make you feel worse than you did while taking it, take another dose then wait until you start to feel shitty again and take another one.  The time between the doses you have to take to prevent discontinuation symptoms should increase with each repeat. 

That's how I'd do it anyway.

Archived