CrazyBoards.org

I go to my PCM today because I can't get in to see the psychiatrist for a couple of weeks.  The prozac ain't working and I'm losing my freaking mind.  Well he tells me to go to church.  I then break down in tears and tell him that I don't think that is the only answer.  I need some drugs.  Finally he writes a scrip for Pyrexa.  I just took my first pill and am hoping it works.  I am majorly depressed, stressed, anxious, and can't go to sleep at night.

absolutely get on the phone right now and tell somebody. that is way out of line. not only was he lacking in appropriate care on your part, but he has no right to tell you to go to church. what if you're agnostic? atheist? who the hell does this guy think he is? surely not a doctor... if i ever had a doctor tell me that, i'd probably slap them...but that's a whole 'nother can of worms  ;)

Dude - do you live in the bible belt or something?  I hate it when docs do that.  I asked a doctor about these red bumps on my arms (keratosis pilaris, can't do anything about them except exfoliate and moisturize) and he gave me this huge schpiel about loving myself and finding someone else to love me the way I am.  Dude, you're a doctor - tell me medical stuff, don't lecture me about psych crap.  THis was a while ago before I had the balls to say that stuff to anyone. 

Anyhoo - bust his ass.  That completely sucks and is not appropriate. 

Where are you posting from funktify?

Maybe pyrexa is a local brand name for something else? Or maybe it was meant to say zyprexa?

Can't say much about the church comment (though that's partly why I'm curious where you're from). I can understand that it gives some people comfort and strength, though not usually me. I can't quite figure out why a therapist/pdoc/general doc would suggest such a thing though. Actually -- I can see a general doc suggesting it, but not a therapist or pdoc, unless they had reason from you to believe it would help you.

Fiona

Hey

I normally go to church and have told friends there about my MI - they say "we will pray for you" etc....whatever gets you through the night I reckon.  But for a doc to say that - WHAAAA?  I would of stood up and said 'bite my shiny metal ass meat bag' and left (go Bender and Futurama).

Although a highly religious friend of mine went off and told me I was possesed by demons when I told her about my MI!!  She also thought I needed deliverance and excorcisms etc...  So lucky you dont have that let me tell you.

Anyhow, find another doc quickly and get some decent meds.  Please take care of yourself.

I'm deeply involved in my church (Episcopal) and can't imagine life without the church.

BUT. . .

What I would say about this guy's suggestion is 1) it sucks; 2) going to church probably sn't something you should take on when everything else is crazy, unless you really want to; and 3) church can call up a whole lot of emotions, and going regularly (which probably is the only thing that might make a difference) is a major decision and a big undertaking, something you probably should only do at this point if you feel drawn to it on your own.

For what it's worth, being someone who goes to church and someone who prays, just makes the PCM's suggestion even more offensive to me.

to,m

I go to church to - so I am not saying dont go, but yes I agree it does take a toll mentally.  And since you can never predict what the sermon is going to be about it can even make your depression worse.  Several times I have cried through sermons!!

But once you are more stable and think you can handle people then for all means go and find a church you like and are comfortable in.

Anyhow the most important thing is that you get well, stable and medicated properly first.

Mush love

H

Archived