CrazyBoards.org

Okay, I've been fighting these headaches for over 20 years now, and someone finally decided to try me on topamax.  Been my first week at 25mg, going to 25 twice a day now, I know, this isn't shit compared, but I'm wigging out!  First of all, the carbonated beverages tasting like ass, is this permanent?  or will it go away???????  Next, on day 7, I feel like I could climb Mt. Everst!  What the hell is up with that?  I work 3rd shift, I should be sleeping now!  I'm almost afraid to add the next dosage!  I'm not noticing a difference in my headaches, anyone know anything about how fast it works for this?  Any insight will be appreciated!  You have a wonderfully insightful websight, I've been here before with "problems" with paxil, you all tell it from the "horses mouth"  so much easier to understand!

Thanks

I can only speak from personal experience.

The taste of carbonated beverages has not gone away for me. In the long run that is probably a good thing.

It has worked for me. I had 13 migraines the month before I started Topamax (and I was using Elavil at the time). I've averaged 3-6 a month since, and they've decreased as I've increased Topamax dosage. I take all 150mg before bed. My only real side effect has been the wierd tingling sensation in my fingers, but it doesn't really bother me.

I think you have to give it some time, unless it is really causing problems. Do you keep a log of your migraines?

On CrazyMeds, it doesn't say a whole lot about the efficacy of topamax used for migranes, but it does mention cluster headaches as an off-label use.

However, I think you'd get better results if you asked about it in the anti-convulsant or headache forums.  One of the mods will probably move it.  Good luck!

Archived