CrazyBoards.org

Anyone know a good home remedy or OTC medication for them? They're so damn painful and annoying. I have like 4 in my mouth right now.

I love cankers. I run them over my teeth. It's kind of like internal skin picking and I can get away with it. I find they tingle. :P They kind of go away on their own, I find often within a day or two at the longest. Maybe it's because I use mouthwash daily. Perhaps a rinse with salt water might help but I've enjoyed them too much to bother to get rid of them.

I love cankers. I run them over my teeth. It's kind of like internal skin picking and I can get away with it. I find they tingle. :P They kind of go away on their own, I find often within a day or two at the longest. Maybe it's because I use mouthwash daily. Perhaps a rinse with salt water might help but I've enjoyed them too much to bother to get rid of them.

I find them quite painful, I don't know what you're enjoying :blink:

I'm not advocating this but it works for me. First off you need to know it hurts like *&%$%*. Take a paper towel and dry it off. Take some table salt and a couple of drops of water and make a paste. Cover the sore with the table salt paste. It hurts, I kid you not. But it'll fix it in no time flat. Do it a couple of times, whenever you think you can stand doing it again.

Personally, I've never been real sure if this makes it feel better or if doing it makes it feel so much worse, so that you just think it feels better when it goes back to the way it was. Really though, it does seem to help if you can stand the pain.

hrrm ok I'll try it, I have like 4 in my mouth, I always get them in clusters. It's painful now so I can handle it being real bad for a few seconds.

Edited by DKnight

For me, canker sores always crop up when I'm anemic or low on iron. If it doesn't bother your stomach or interfere with any meds, I'd try taking SlowFe, a brand of iron supplements that are supposed to be easier on the digestive system than most. It's a good idea to up your fiber intake while you're taking iron as well. It might not be immediate relief, but I feel like it's good prevention!

I'd also advise seeing a doctor if you're getting a lot of them. I have some food intolerances, and when I eat certain things, I tend to have canker sores pop up in multiples like you're talking about. Or, as licoricewhip said, certain nutritional deficiencies can cause them also.

I get these ALL THE TIME too! I once had one the size of my nail on the inside of my lip that took about two weeks to go away, and it was agonizing - I couldn't even brush my teeth without holding my lip out of the way rolleyes.gif

Wow so the salt does work, great to hear that such homemade remedies are effective. I guess that's the "rubbing salt on wounds" comes from.

I tended to get them from acidic foods like tomatoes. I wonder if the salt neutralizes it. I kind of thought cankers were like infected taste buds or something.

I get them if I don't floss regularly. Or if I eat a lot of sugar.

You can put some milk of magnesia on a cotton swab and then swab them a few times a day to take away the pain. I've never tried sylvan's method - I'm probably too much of a wimp.

I tended to get them from acidic foods like tomatoes. I wonder if the salt neutralizes it. I kind of thought cankers were like infected taste buds or something.

They're just a fairly basic ulcer, i.e. a sore where there's a break in the mucus membrane, and they can be caused/triggered by a bunch of things that irritate the lining of your mouth, including acidic foods. The vitamin deficiencies related to them I don't think technically cause them but do make people more susceptible to them or something.

For me, they're pretty much always caused by some kind of physical irritation. Sometimes what seems like a pretty harmless accidental bite of the inside of my lip while eating will turn into one a few days later, or I'll occasionally get them from my teeth or mouthguard rubbing/pressing against one spot for a while if I fall asleep in a funny position laying on my face.

I'm too lazy (and have a high enough pain threshold/tolerance) to actively do/use anything to treat them, but what does make a big difference in how long it takes for them to heal for me is just being very cautious around them. I hold my lip back while brushing near them, not because it hurts, but because poking them like that interferes with their healing. Same thing with eating: I pay more attention to what I'm doing and eat more slowly so I don't end up biting/scraping the area with my teeth and try to bite/chew things as far away from that part of my mouth as possible.

If I'm very careful about stuff like that, they tend to heal to the point that they're not painful after only a few days, compared to as long as a couple weeks if I ignore them and act like normal, but pretty much every time I forget and do something that irritates them, it seems like that tacks an extra day or so on.

Powdered Golden Seal, check your health food store, herbal section. Used to use to gargle with it, tastes bad, relatively painless.

www.sleepyhollowherbfarm.com/GSEXTDES.htm

Edited by who-who-who

Anyone know a good home remedy or OTC medication for them? They're so damn painful and annoying. I have like 4 in my mouth right now.

A low dose of Prednisone over like, five days, works well.

Sunshine Outside

One known culprit is toothpaste with sodium lauryl sulfate. There are a few varieties of toothpaste without.

I've had luck with Listerine.  It isn't pleasant but it cleans everything out and seems to numb everything after a while...though maybe that is shock.

I bought something called Anbesol. http://www.anbesol.com/

The salt worked but man it was so damn painful, hopefully this helps, I have the problem a lot so I know I'll end up needing it in the future too.

Well it works well, but it's like going to the dentist. My mouth and tongue are now numb.

Edited by DKnight

I bought something called Anbesol. http://www.anbesol.com/

The salt worked but man it was so damn painful, hopefully this helps, I have the problem a lot so I know I'll end up needing it in the future too.

Well it works well, but it's like going to the dentist. My mouth and tongue are now numb.

I used anbesol for toothaches. Then I switched to sucking on ice cubes until I got the culprit tooth extracted. Really mouth pain is not a problem for me now. I can go from ice cream to hot coffee and back without even a wince. Of course I have a high pain threshold...too bad when I hate on myself so much that to inflict pain on myself is actually self-gratifying. I think anbesol will only kill the pain but not heal the sores. Just as sensodyne toothpaste supposed to get rid of cavities?

1) Brush your teeth and floss.

2) powdered Alum. You can find Alum in the spice rack at your grocery store. Moisten your index finger a little bit, use it to pick up some alum, then dab the powder on top of the canker sore. Eventually, saliva will wash it away. Do it a couple of times. If you're lucky, the canker sore will heal overnight. If not so lucky, apply the alum in the morning and evening. Note: doesn't hurt to apply alum, but some people find that alum tastes terrible. Had great success with this, especially for small canker sores.

3) Peroxyl mouth wash - this is a hydrogen peroxide mouth wash - goes along with #1 - keeping your mouth clean.