CrazyBoards.org

Stanford U Lecture on Depression

• 3 weeks later...

This was great. To give a brief, brief synopsis for those who haven't seen it yet... the professor talks about psychology and neurobiology of depression.

But interestingly to me, he talked about specific symptoms of depression being linked to specific neurotransmitters.

Anhedonia - Dopamine

Psychomotor Retardation - Neuroepinephrine

Grief - Serotonin

Pain - Substance P

I took notes =)

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks that was a great video and helped a lot in some understanding of the brain. Which I had no clue. Although I think we are ways away from understanding the brain this at least helped me with questions to ask the doctor since none of my anti-depressants have ever really worked. I have lost interest in everything sex, running , fishing, going out w/friends. So thanks again.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ebony, you are entitled to your opinion, but please do not tell people here who have clinical depression and have been ill for years that all we need is "a motivation."  That is patronizing, illogical, and not true.  Take your happy-happy bullshit and go somewhere else.

olga

Very nice lecture, very briefly describes the cause behind the depression according to me we get depressed when we lose hope or don't have any motivational factor in the life, i suggest you guys have a motivation in the life because everything can be possible.

To some of us, suggesting us to have motivation is like suggesting a pig to fly. It is really hard to have motivation sometimes, especially when we have depression. Depression depletes energy so easily. Please carefully think about what you want to say before you say it. Some of us are also struggling to find the right medicine and therapy, which can help with depression. We are a pro-medication website here at CB.  

AnneMarie, Thank you for showing us the video. It is really great. :)

Edited by CynicalReality

Very nice lecture, very briefly describes the cause behind the depression according to me we get depressed when we lose hope or don't have any motivational factor in the life, i suggest you guys have a motivation in the life because everything can be possible.

Unless you are ill with a physical illness, like mental illness. I suggest you shut up and read here a little bit before airing your opinion.

• 1 year later...

I appreciated the video, it was really informative. I also feel let down in a way because I feel like I've been around and around and in and out and through all the why's and how's of my depression...and I just want to get the fuck out of it. I realize I'm being a little unreasonable in my reactivity but knowing why I can't seem to find a sense of hope doesn't feel like being any closer to hope.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...