CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
hopelessromantic

Do dreams cause your problems

May sound strange, but is anyone affected by this? If I have intense dreams about people, romantic ones can cause mania or at least euphoria which can lead to mania....if it's someone I am remotely interested in I can develop an intense crush on them, and if i see them often well that is a recipe for disaster.....do your dreams affect your moods?

Interesting question. I, too, have very intense dreams, and sometimes the mood of them follows me into the day, or even for a few days, especially if they're happy dreams or weird, uncanny ones. But I can't say I've ever felt as if they've triggered mania or depression.

Yeah dreams affect my moods but I agree with zenbean that they haven't triggered full on mania or depression. Usually I'm already depressed or manic and then the weird dream might cause problems like if I dream about a girl other than my girlfriend. I dunno what to do about them, I hope they don't wreak havoc on your life and you find a way to make peace with it.

I think it's possible for dreams to create strong emotions that can persist into the day, and that sometimes what you do with those emotions can affect the days ahead. This is different than sparking a mood state. Most likely any mood state coming from a dream was in fact, as Vinnyyar0 says, a sign of pre-existing mood issue.

I generally agree with stacia. I would say though, that they affect my mood the same way they affect "normal people's" mood. I don't think it pushes me into an extreme state, just modifies the one I'm in.

do your dreams affect your moods?

Every single day. I have had intense vivid dreams my whole life. Each one lingers around with a unique taste and emotion. Sometimes those feelings, sensations can last a whole day or longer, particularly if the dream is very upsetting or very exhilarating. To this day I have body memories of dreams that occurred years and years ago. A few of these have become touchstones for me to bring out into the light again.

It is quite possible my meds have increased the intensity of my dreams but that is very hard to tell because my dreams have always been vivid and fantastical. Very complicated scenes, romance, destruction. Think Inception.

I like my little taste of dream mood every day. Somehow or another each separate dream feels completely different and totally unique to any other even though by this time I've created thousands of dreams.

Definitely start a dream journal. It helps to sort out the mess in your head and gut. Get the story down on paper before it slips from memory. Remember, as Jung says, most of the people in our dreams represent different parts of ourselves.

Not to get explicit, but about a month ago, I had a very intense love-encounter dream. We met. Fell in love. Then we had an amazing sexual experience. The funny thing is that I rarely get sexual dreams. The emotions in the dream were overwhelming. I actually felt depressed for about 3 days after this dream since I have no love interests at the moment or foreseeable future. It just seemed so real!

I don't think a dream has triggered and actual mood shift, but it has enhanced the mood I am, be it depression or hypomania.

Edited by exl2398

I've been a vivid dreamer my whole life but they got even more intense a couple years ago when I started changing mentally. At first I thought they were causing the mood swings, but I look at them now more as a warning sign as they seem to accompany extreme moods. I remember once I had a dream that I went on a huge shopping trip and I woke up panicked because I didn't have that kind of money. I searched the apartment for things I thought I bought or the receipt but then realized it was only a dream much later.

But yeah, they're a blessing and a curse I think. Some dreams are very pleasant, but others can mess me up for a long time. I had the strangest deja-vu yesterday, which I thought came from a dream I had over a year ago. At the end of the day though, dreams are just our mind's way of dealing with our daytime thoughts and memories and it stands to reason that people with MI often have crazy dreams. I'm pretty sure I read an article about a link between bipolar and vivid dreaming once, I'll try to find it. When I'm feeling a bit manic I try to read too much into my dreams and use them as signs, but now I'm trying to just let them be. Think about them for awhile when I wake up, then let them pass. We have too much on our minds as it is, no need to add random dreams to the mix as well.

Yeah, definitely. Sometimes I feel like some of my dreams are the future, and when I wake up from them (they are usually horrible) I get afraid/paranoid/depressed. Usually I am dreaming about male friends/acquaintances or people I don't even really know, raping or abusing me in some way and it can really ruin any feelings (friendly, romantic, whatever) I have for them.

Guest Burman

I have a lot of dreams about a woman that I was deeply in love with and we recently broke up. I was in full blown mania at the time and she found out that I took a stranger that I met in a bar one night whom I had protected sex with. She found the torn condom wrapper in my bed the next day. It wasn't me.

I am still so much in love with her, but my mania destroyed our relationship. She put a restraining order against me. I am not a violent person and I would never stalk or hurt her. I was married for 23 years and never layed a hand on my ex. I'm anot a woman beater.

She did everything for me and I loved to spend time with her. I always looked forward to going out together, her calls and text messages that she sent everyday. I dream about her all the time. I have nightmares about her with being with other men, since I started on Lamictal and Lithium medications. I wish that she knew what I was going through at the time and offered me support, but I will never have a chance to discuss my illness with her. I was sick at the time. I'm still not well, but at least my mood has stablized to the point where I have some hope for the future. I see her around town all the time, and it really hurts to not be able to talk to her and explain what caused my breakdown.

Bipolar really sucks and has destroyed many of my relationships.

I think my moods affect my dreams, and my dreams have strong emotional content which affect how my upcoming days will play out. Recently I have had dreams about killing myself, which coincide with a low mood. That's probably because I've thought a lot about death in the past 6 days. I don't think it made me any more or less depressed.

During my euphoric hypomania back in July, I was madly in love with a girl and had dreams about her all the time. They made me feel very happy and I woke up and had an awesome day. I was already in a mood, it didn't start it.. though it did enhance it.

On occasion, there have been days where a particular dream has effected my mood the next day. The only time this really happens for me is when a dream triggers a depressive episode. Happy dreams make me wake with a smile but I will not be sent into a mood state. A sad or frightening dream however will cause an effect that will last all day and I may end up depressed, depending on how my meds are doing....etc.

Staci