CrazyBoards.org

Apparently I am amazingly sensitive to lorazepam.

I've been prescribed lorazepam on an as-needed basis for my panic attacks for a while, and it always pretty much knocked me out. Recently, my pdoc had me on a low dose of it daily for my anxiety– and I do mean low, I'm talking 1/8th mg per day here– and I had to stop because even at that level it was making me fairly nonfunctional. Mood downer and drowsiness with a lovely side of brainfog. It also made me super clumsy, I was running into corners and furniture in a house I've lived in for 18 years and dropping things at every turn, and it also destroyed my appetite. Completely killed it. I could barely eat, I just never got hungry and forcing myself to try got me enough calories to keep me conscious and no more.

Has anyone else reacted like this to the stuff, or am I just a special snowflake? I still have it for panic attacks because, hey, the side-effects don't bother me when I'm asleep, but taking it regularly was a complete no-go.

You sound a bit snowflakish, but every benzo is different, so it might be worth trying some others to see if you get sx relief without the crazy side effects. Something like klonopin springs to mind because it is so long acting, which might relieve the initial effects. Then again, it is long acting, so if you do get se's they will hang around longer.

But you do have lots of benzo options. If this is the fist one you've tried, I'd suggest trying a couple others before giving up entirely.

Anna

I don't do well with benzos--or anything sedating, really. They tend to make my dissociation MUCH worse.

I really like gabapentin for anxiety. I take 300 mg scheduled at night (also helps me sleep) plus 300 mg 3x a day PRN when the anxiety/panic is bad.

My pdoc didn't want to put me on anything stronger than the lorazepam because I'm so sensitive to meds, so if I couldn't cope with the low-dose lorazepam I doubt he'll be inclined to prescribe anything stronger. That said, I've been doing fine without anything specific for the anxiety lately, so perhaps it's not needed.

My pdoc didn't want to put me on anything stronger than the lorazepam because I'm so sensitive to meds, so if I couldn't cope with the low-dose lorazepam I doubt he'll be inclined to prescribe anything stronger. That said, I've been doing fine without anything specific for the anxiety lately, so perhaps it's not needed.

I don't think Anna meant stronger, just different.

nf

Archived