CrazyBoards.org

Hypomania disguised as panic?

I've earned a new badge (diagnosis) today: bipolar II

For a while now, I've been very much afraid of admitting that I may be bipolar. I see my dad (type I) suffer daily with it, even with medication. I've always refused to acknowledge my depression in the presence of a psychiatrist because it tends to raise red-flags (which is no good when you're running a manipulatory farce over them and their Rx pad) and because I've always found my depression tolerable. I would instead focus on my anxiety... obsessive tendency... and panic attacks. But after much thought, my actual anxiety symptoms don't actually match any proper diagnostic criteria outside of personality disorders. I was talking about it to my shrink today, who agreed with my assessment, but almost seemed hesitant to fully slap on a label...... while still suggesting I go on a mood-stabilizer and an antidepressant to help deal with it.

I just don't understand where panic fits in. I understand "irritability" to be a component... but full blown panic attacks as a response to hypomania? Any ideas/experiences?

It's definitely a symptom... when I'm all wired up, I get freaked out and anxious. Though they do tend to distinguish between a mood disorder and an anxiety disorder.

I suppose there's no question you have an anxiety disorder. But I don't think that necessarily indicates a mood disorder, which is instead indicated by the depression/mania cycles.

Are you saying sometimes you're depressed, and then you cycle to a state where you're highly panicy but not depressed?

Are you saying sometimes you're depressed, and then you cycle to a state where you're highly panicy but not depressed?

Exactly.

I notice two emotional trends

-Depression: ranging from fatigued, unmotivated and melancholic, to severely depressed - near suicidal. The mild depression is the predominant form and lasts anywhere from a day to a week or so, per month... I only have suicidal thoughts/severe depression once, twice... mayyybe three times a year at most.

-Anxiety: ranging from productive and in control, to uneasy and anxious, to full on panic. This is how I feel almost everyday.

The two never overlap, directly.

Don't worry about the bipolar diagnosis, it may be the best thing that has happened to you because you can begin the proper treament. My life has been twenty times better with depokote. In fact since my last increase, I don't really cycle anymore. Maybe mildly. As far as being bipolar one or two I would not worry. I am bipolar one but I respond to depokote well and I am very high functioning, as long as I stay on my medications. A new diagnosis can be difficult to deal with, I just got OCD added to my diagnosises today. I really hope this is the begining of a posative change for you.

Wow, thank God you were honesty about playing the shrinks to get the antiaixety fixes......I gotta do that now, to stop using beer as a self medicant. I think panic reflects miixed states .....depressed anxiety, frenzied lethargy...........Yeah BP is what the folks above said and worse....but you can now address that three hour panic before having to show up to work with better and more effective meds, and yes, maybe benzos for those of us that need them.

Do some research and see that anxiety and depression are fraternal twins.....I recommend "The Noonday Demon: An Atlas of Depression" by solomon.......its proved biblically potent in checking on my symtoms my drug reactions , addiction, poverty....nervous breakdown case histories etc...............welcome

Best wishes

I'm not really clear as to what it is you're subjectively experiencing, that you're describing as anxiety and panic. Given your own recognition that your symptoms don't match up with what is typically called anxiety or panic, and your pdoc's response to your descriptions of your symptoms, I'm kind of guessing that you've been mislabelling symptoms, rather than anxiety/panic actually being part of bipolar disorder.

First, please forgive me, I just woke up & my meds haven't kicked in so I'm sort of all over the place. I am pretty sure I read your post correctly and am you to a T. Mild depression, though sometimes worse (recently landed me in the hospital for the first time), and severe anxiety/panic. They diagnosed me as bipolar. I didn't like it. I've always focused with my p-doc on the anxiety and my therapist on the depression. The p-doc in the hospital knew what he was doing. Even at my best, I have never in my life felt so good as I do now on these meds. While it was hard accepting the diagnosis and that I have to take all these meds forever, I am really thankful. My anxiety and frustration are reduced by 95%, so take it with a grain of salt because it may just be work out to be in your best interest. Good luck to you!

Archived