CrazyBoards.org

My child picked up lice from another child at her school. We used lice treatment, every kind, we got the lice out, but we can't get the nits out. We have tried every kind of comb. I have spent hours for about 5 weeks picking these things out, but no fail every time I try to get her back into school, the school nurse finds one. My eyesight, apparently, is not good enough to see them. I have treated every piece of furniture, bedding, and carpeting several times. I have spent so much time stressed out and crying about this. I feel like I am having a nervous break down. I don't know how to get her back into school. She is going to fail because of the number of days she has missed and the sad part is she is a straight A student. I am soooooo depressed and I feel so trashy.

My child picked up lice from another child at her school. We used lice treatment, every kind, we got the lice out, but we can't get the nits out. We have tried every kind of comb. I have spent hours for about 5 weeks picking these things out, but no fail every time I try to get her back into school, the school nurse finds one. My eyesight, apparently, is not good enough to see them. I have treated every piece of furniture, bedding, and carpeting several times. I have spent so much time stressed out and crying about this. I feel like I am having a nervous break down. I don't know how to get her back into school. She is going to fail because of the number of days she has missed and the sad part is she is a straight A student. I am soooooo depressed and I feel so trashy.

Usually it the lice are gone the nits/eggs rapidly follow. Without reinfestation, the nits/eggs soon hatch and become lice which is one of the reasons repeat treatment is recommended.

Make an appointment with a dermatologist for evaluation. It is quite possible that you daughter does not have nits, but rather the normal debris found in and on everyone's scalp. If she has nits/eggs the physician can make recommendations that will ease your mind and lift your depression. Meanwhile, rest assured that anyone, anyone, can be infected with head lice, it is not a sign of poor hygiene nor of lax housekeeping.

Best wishes for a speedy resolution to your daughter's difficulty and your depression.

I got it from a kid my Mom was babysitting once. It was horrible. It took 2 weeks for my family to rid themselves of it and 2 more for me - the benefit of having long thick hair (and obviously I managed not to re-infect anyone). Repeated treatment eventually did the trick. I thought it'd never go away. Still went to school, but that's because it was High School & they don't do those kind of checks.

However, I often missed a week and a half or so repeatedly all through elementary and even further. What grade is she in? In elementary all I had to do was have my Mom ask the school to give me make-up work for the week I was out.. ie, I'd not go in Mon, she'd call wed & say I'd be out at least until Fri. Then they'd send home a packet that the school made all of my teachers put together that contained every thing I had to do except for tests. So then, when I came back Monday I was all caught up.

What is the school saying about all of this?

every time I try to get her back into school, the school nurse finds one. My eyesight, apparently, is not good enough to see them.

The nurse at my girls school found nits constantly where there were none and cleared a girl who had lice. All throughout primary school the kids got lice, the school either refused to tell the parents or would send out a lousy flier. Lice can be extremely hard to get rid of. This is not your fault at all. You are not trashy.

My girl has long very kinky very thick textured hair and when she got lice I was devastated. I took her to the lice lady and watched this woman remove the nits over a 3 hour period while the tears were running down my child's face.. The lice lady checked my hair and much to my surprise and delight she said "no nits!" but immediately changed her mind when she found TONS but they were not by the scalp, just hiding at the middle of my long grey hair. It took her only 10 minutes to clear my head of nits.

I am much too experienced with lice. You are welcome to PM me with any questions but here are the basics of hair removal:

1. The only way to remove nits is to comb them out. Use a stainless steel very closely tined comb like this one.

2. Completely cover your couch, floor, chair. Wherever you are doing the removal.

3. Buy the thick white Pantene hair conditioner or any similar. (Cannot bear the smell of Pantene anymore.)

4. Start parallel with the scalp and pull out the comb through the hair.

5. Wipe the conditioner on a paper towel. Lice will look like bugs. The nits very very tiny, round, light brownish.

6. Do the whole head of hair over and over until you see no more nits or lice.

Repeat the whole thing twice a day until you can comb her hair and find no nits at all. Because the removal hurt like hell for my girl I only tortured her every two days until I found no nits.

The absolute worst part of lice is not the combing but the house cleaning.

Put all stuffed animals, extra pillows, extra blankets in a big trash bag and put the bags somewhere for two weeks. No blood no lice.

Cover all the chairs, sofas with sheets for two weeks.

All the bedding including pillows washed and dried.

All coats, clothes, back packs washed. I somehow washed the seat belt in the car.

Everyday after school for weeks I put my kids coat and backpack in the dryer. This will kill any lice that come home with her.

Lice can only move from a head somewhere else if they can walk there. Tie up your girls hair and tell her not to put her head near any kid at school.

I was so paranoid I constantly found nits where there were none. I would put it on a slide under a toy microscope and see lint. Next time the nurse checks her hair, make sure you are there to witness what the nurse says is a nit. The nurse at my girls school was a total nit wit.

Lice is a major pain in the ass. One summer a friend with 3 kids had to constantly repeat all the combing and cleaning. It turned out the kids were picking up the lice over and over again from her friends house.

every time I try to get her back into school, the school nurse finds one. My eyesight, apparently, is not good enough to see them.

The nurse at my girls school found nits constantly where there were none and cleared a girl who had lice. All throughout primary school the kids got lice, the school either refused to tell the parents or would send out a lousy flier. Lice can be extremely hard to get rid of. This is not your fault at all. You are not trashy.

My girl has long very kinky very thick textured hair and when she got lice I was devastated. I took her to the lice lady and watched this woman remove the nits over a 3 hour period while the tears were running down my child's face.. The lice lady checked my hair and much to my surprise and delight she said "no nits!" but immediately changed her mind when she found TONS but they were not by the scalp, just hiding at the middle of my long grey hair. It took her only 10 minutes to clear my head of nits.

I am much too experienced with lice. You are welcome to PM me with any questions but here are the basics of hair removal:

Lice is a major pain in the ass. One summer a friend with 3 kids had to constantly repeat all the combing and cleaning. It turned out the kids were picking up the lice over and over again from her friends house.

OMG, water

you know waaay to much about this

so sorry you, and everyone else, has been through this

and I can't even imagine getting them out of your girl's hair................:o poor girl.............

Dianthus' suggestion of shaving a boys head is good

maybe a lion king african princess look?

I DID shave kid's head. I am sorry to report that I have heard that some nits are resistant now to the nit killing shampoos.

ALso, kid's dad had nits in his house and after 4th treatment I told ex that either he sent me a certified letter that exterminators had come and killed EVERYTHING or kid wasn't coming over (fortuntely I have full legal) this was after he was sober.

Anyway, kid's head was raw by this point, I'd get him sorted out, he'd go for the weekend, come back... with nits. We'd wash everything..... kill everything.... send him back.... come back with nits.

It bit. To be honest.

Poor kid was traumatized so we just shaved him bald which was also traumatic and then we let him cut his own hair for awhile and I got to deal with my mom issues about letting kid "go out looking like that".

At 13, he now lets hairdresser do it, and has it short, not long. He's a cutie.

Nits. Those bastard little fuckers. I'm sorry.

Call a derm, yeah, and that sort of stuff. This is getting heavy duty. YOu do need to wash EVERYTHING and exterminators CAN help if it's sheets/bedding/carpets.

Anna

I DID shave kid's head. I am sorry to report that I have heard that some nits are resistant now to the nit killing shampoos.

Not just the nits. I used the lice killing shampoo the first night in desperation and there were happy drunk lice STILL walking around her head afterwards. There is no need at all for any of the poison methods. They do not work. It is a big marketing scandal.

The lice lady was adamant against cutting hair but really only for the girls. She said there was no point because combing would work and it would just traumatize the kid. She also gave us hysterical stories about families coming in with plastic bags covering olive oiled heads. These were well intentioned attempts to smother the lice/nits. She did say that oil would make it harder for the lice to walk over from one head to another so it was only effective after the nits were gone and the school was still infested.

There were many dads and sons with shaved heads in my town over the summers. That does work completely but unfortunately this was not a choice I could make. Have to put something silly in here - someone said recently it is easier to have a boy than a girl because you only have to worry about one winky instead of many.

Archived