CrazyBoards.org

Zyprexa weight loss NECESSARY

Hello, all.

I am sure there are tons of topics about losing weight on Zyprexa, but since every case is different, I figured that I would go ahead and make my own version of it.

To be concise, I have tried all of the atypicals other than clozapine that are on my Formulary. There are three typicals, Thorazine, Haldol, and Prochlorperazine. Zyprexa is the only one that is both extremely efficacious, has long-term efficacy, and has about the highest "Strength to Side Effects" ratio that I can stand. So, in essence, I have been on all the atypicals on my Formulary (except clozapine), and Prochlorperazine, and Zyprexa is by far the best. The only problem is that I gained a TON of weight on it. I went from 137lbs. to 205lbs. in two years, most of that gained in Year One.

Luckily, I carry my weight very well and most people think I weigh 170lbs. But, I am more worried about my health, especially in the long-term. My blood work comes back normal, so there isn't any diabetes yet, but it could happen any time as far as I'm concerned. I also take Lithium, Adderall, Klonopin, Suboxone (non psych med), and Effexor. I am going off of the Lithium, so that could drop 10 lbs or so, since I was only 195lbs before I went on that junk. As far as I know, the other meds are weight-neutral or actually cause weight loss!

I eat decently. I mean, I am 23 and live alone, so I don't always space my meals perfectly apart, etc., but I don't overeat. I rarely eat more than 2000 Calories a day. I only drink water or Diet drinks, and I do all of the exercise that I can manage. I get out of breath EXTREMELY easily and have insanely high blood pressure from the Adderall, so exercise doesn't get very far. Luckily, I am changing to Concerta next week which will be less likely to spike my blood pressure, although it is still going to raise it surely.

So, I don't see why I should weigh so much? I actually was less healthy with my eating before I went on Zyprexa and was still skinny. I am very fearful of having YEARS taken off of my life because of being overweight due to this medication. What should I do? And, be realistic. I just plain don't have the motivation to prepare for a half-marathon.

For some people, the zyprexa zydis helps. For some people, metformin maybe helps.

For most people, losing, or maintaining a healthy weight, on zyprexa, or really most of the aap's requires a much more disciplined approach to both dietnand excercise than what you're currently doing.

What I find useful, as far as diet goes, is to stay away from white food - basically carbs and sugars, processed foods, and I don't eat meat, or much dairy, usually.

Michael Pollen putsmit pretty well, actually: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."

And his five ingredients rule is good too. Basically, any premade food with more than five ingredients probably contains a whole bunch of crap no one should be eating.

as far as excercise, even with your blood pressure thing, you could start doing some yoga.

Not to sound like a weakling, but I honestly don't think I could handle giving up the few Calories I already eat for such "plant" foods. I feel as though the, not junky, but not healthy, yummy foods that I eat aid in my recovery. The meds don't do too much, frankly, and therapy does bat shit (but, in all fairness I just have never had a good therapist- but I have had SIX), so having some Goldfish or Vanilla Yougurt just seems OK to me. I think my mental state would become more disturbed if I had to make such radical changes. And, please don't take this as back-lash to you, as only one small part of your post regarded this point.

I have also tried Yoga, but I tend to get too agitated to maintain the stability needed in the poses, so all I can do is "Yoga for Relaxation" which hardly helps my cardiovascular well-being.

So, I guess I will have to look into metformin, as the zydis Zyprexa is not "allowed" on my insurance.

It is unfortunate.

looking through different sources..

"there is a prescription medication called orlistat (xenical) that reduces the amount of fat the body absorbs from food and can be given to those who are severely overweight" - wes burgess the bipolar handbook

"Another medication used for weight loss is Meridia (sibutramine) This drug has the same neurotransmitter properties as effexor xr and cymbalta but for some reason it didnt work out as an antidepressant." (jack gorman md the essential guide to psychiatric drugs)

then there's Topamax assuming that's feasible for you.

some other remedies are mentioned here: http://www.crazymeds...ightEffects.htm

edit: regarding meridia, you can't take this actually, since you're taking effexor, but looking at mcman's living well with depression and bipolar it looks like there's also a diabetic drug called glucophage off label for weight loss

You can ask for a physician's override on the zydis if it is having effects.... Basically, your doc writes your insurance company a letter "justifying" the different drug. Mine is doing that right now for saphris, sigh.

As far as losing on both seroquel and depakote (I gained 40 lbs in a year) I did yoga 5 days a week and ate using the carbohydrate addict's diet. This worked for me and I lost 35 lbs easily.

I still use it. You basically eat extremely low carb for 2 meals a day and then have a meal where you eat whatever the hell you want. I Had dessert every night. No special meals for the family, etc. It was awesome. Becuase it doesn't feel like a diet, but more like a food plan, where you just do what works.

There is a whole bunch of science behind it by the folks who developed it about lowering blood sugar and etc., it basically works the same as metformin but with food. And it works for eme, hey.

I don't know. All I can tell you is, it worked for me. It's a cheap paperback, I usally end up with coffee for breakfast (bad) something like a chicken ceasar salad or whatnot for lunch, a HUGE dinner and then a small snack like olives (fat) and low carb veggies.

I am rarely hungry and really am an epcurian at herat and I LOVE this stuff. Just getting back to it way seriously after going off due to some zoloft weigth loss where I got too skinny and so just quit the diet. Expect the first couple weeks to be hard, then your body kindd of adjusts, the big meal really satiates you, and you are HAPPAY.

Anna

For me, when I was gaining weight from Zyprexa tablets, switching to the Zyprexa Zydis is what helped keep me from gaining any more weight and then I started to lose a little bit and then I leveled off.

I think from what I remember reading, the Zydis helps with your weight because it doesn't go through the stomach the way that the tablets do. That's what I've read anyway, but I forget from where... (so I don't know how valid the info is).

I would really try for the physician's override before adding a new med but that's just me. Metformin, however, has been around forever, is safe, and generally well tolerated.

Psycheeducation.org (Dr. Phelp's site) has a great page on metformin and how it can help. HE claims it can actually help with mood/attention in some. Don't know, haven't tried it.

Anna

Not to sound like a weakling, but I honestly don't think I could handle giving up the few Calories I already eat for such "plant" foods. I feel as though the, not junky, but not healthy, yummy foods that I eat aid in my recovery. The meds don't do too much, frankly, and therapy does bat shit (but, in all fairness I just have never had a good therapist- but I have had SIX), so having some Goldfish or Vanilla Yougurt just seems OK to me. I think my mental state would become more disturbed if I had to make such radical changes. And, please don't take this as back-lash to you, as only one small part of your post regarded this point.

I have also tried Yoga, but I tend to get too agitated to maintain the stability needed in the poses, so all I can do is "Yoga for Relaxation" which hardly helps my cardiovascular well-being.

So, I guess I will have to look into metformin, as the zydis Zyprexa is not "allowed" on my insurance.

It is unfortunate.

If you aren't willing to make any substantial lifestyle changes, you aren't going to lose any weight. I don't see how eating foods that keep you at an unhealthy weight is part of your recovery. It's all well and good that eating goldfish, yogurt, whatever, seems ok to you. But the reality is, your eating habits are contributing to the extra weight, the health consequences of which you say comcern you. Saying changing your eating habits would negatively impact your mental state sounds like making excuses for not doing something you just don't want to do. The reality here is that the healthier you are overall, the better your mental state will be. Your brain is a physical entity, required proper nutrients to function at its best. It's also very much a part of the interconnected sysytem of your body, and so can easily be impacted by other physical issues. You can tell yourself something that's physically detrimental is in your brain's best interest, but it's probably not.

Also, I may be way off base here, but moments in my life when food has assumed that kind of importance have been generally not my best. They tend to be times when I'm doing a lot of isolating, and not really investing in much. So, I don't know. It helps me, in multiple ways, to kind of force myself to be more social, even if it feels like a big effort, and to make a big effort to recomnect with things that have consistently been intellectually or emotionally engaging for me, even if I'm not really feeling it right that second.

As far as yoga, there are plenty of poses done sitting, or reclining, on the floor, asided of relaxation yoga. Although, I'm pretty sure relaxation generally is good for high blood pressure, whatever the cause. Pilates, also, focuses mainly on floorwork. But really, doing anything at all would be better than doing nothing. If only to begin establishing better habits.

Metformin might do it for you. Unfortunately, the more it's been researched, the less effective it's looked to be.

I like SS's response. I let my weight "go" for a year, got disgusted and lost 35 lbs and I feel SO MUCH better in every area of my life. Now adding cardio to the yoga, and working on getting cholestorol down.

And switching from seoquel, which raises it, to sahpris, which may not do so as much.

I really don't WANT to die young unless I HAVE to in a tragic accident or something.

Anna

Archived