CrazyBoards.org

What medication are you on and How do you like it?

SO... I was hospitalized in June and there they gave me respiridone(psychosis) and seroquel (insomnia). I`m dropping respiridone and slowly swapping it with abilify.

I give respiridone 3.5 stars out of 5 for helping with hallucinations, but minus a lot for making me gain 20 pounds wall.gif.

I give seroquel 4 out of 5. There`s some weight gain involved.. but you have an amazing sleep !

I give abilify 1.5 out of 5, My hallucinations are still vividly here and I`m always thirsty and I get too much energy. UGH

So what are some of you experiences ?

I give saphris a million stars for making me feel normal. No se's. Minus a star for needing a doctor override right now as my insurance doesn't want to pay.

Seroquel 3 stars for helping, minus 2 for raising my chol.

zyprexa 5 stars for helping me be stable, minus 5 for turning me bulemic.

Labilify minus five billion stars for sending me to hospital manic as fuck for 1 month.

Risperdal 4 stars for benig effective but not so good with sleep, minus 2 for making me a sexual zombie.

Too scared to try geodon after abilify and with my family's heart hx.

Anna

Guest Vapourware

I'm currently on Ziprasidone [or Geodon/Zeldox, who the hell comes up with dumb names like these?] and I give it 4/5. Has been great with my symptoms and since starting it in August 2010, I've been the most stable I've been for years. It loses 1 star for playing around with my sleep and for its short half-life - it either drops me like a hammer or gives me insomnia, and I feel its withdrawal just about every day.

Ones I've tried in the past:

Invega - minus 50000000000000000000 stars for giving me a chemical lobotomy and sending my anxiety skyrocketing. I was so bad cognitively that I couldn't hold conversations and my facial expressions turned into a mask, so I was like a walking zombie. It was a Really.Bad.Experience.

Abilify - 2.5 stars for initially working, then failing. Also loses points for giving me akathesia.

You can see what meds I'm on from my signature. I like all of them. In the hospital they put me on 3 mg of Risperidone, which was probably necessary at the time, but I cut it down to 1.5 mg after a couple weeks when I wasn't nearly as psychotic, because I felt too drugged up & it was giving me involuntary facial movements. The 1.5 mg dosage seems perfect now.

From mid-November to January 1st I was completely med-free and I was REALLY happy. After my break-up, I've kind of spiraled and began self-medicating again.

I drink anywhere between 4-6oz of anything 40proof or more with 60mgs. temazepam at night. In the morning I take 10mgs. temazepam, an Advil and drink a shit load of coconut water/eat fried eggs and sausage to avoid the hungover feeling.

I really need to see my P-doc soon before I overdose. Tomorrow I'm going to make an appointment.

I've been on a bunch of different dosages of antipsychotics.

Risperdal- First time, when I was on 1.5mg/day, one star. It did pretty much nothing for me. So then, instead of upping the dosage, the doctor switched me to...

Prolixin- Four and a half out of five stars. Started me at 5mg/day. Gave me TD at high dosages, but knocked out my symptoms completely. I only wish I hadn't gotten TD from it. I was up to 10mg/day before they switched me off for...

Risperdal- Again! This time, we went up to 6mg/day. Three stars. I felt like I was on a lower dosage of Prolixin, but it didn't control all of my symptoms and I still had the occasional hallucination. But that's okay, because they added...

Thorazine- Huzzah! This one was 50mg 2x/day PRN for sleep and psychosis- kind of like a panic button. I give it three out of five stars because it made me sleep for 12-14 hours per day. But, combined with the Risperdal, I had no symptoms. But then they want to take me off and started...

Abilify- I got free samples! Score! 5mg/day, but it gets two stars out of five. It did nothing at this dose and was a bit activating- I didn't sleep for three days the week I was on it. So then we went back to...

Risperdal- Down to 4mg/day. Then that didn't work, so back up to 6. Still three stars. But then I switched doctors...

Abilify- One more time! We're up to 30mg/day now, and I'm sleeping all the damn time. So far, I give it two and a half stars, but we'll see. It's making me sleep a lot and doesn't seem to me doing much for my symptoms. We'll see what happens by my next appointment.

Prolixin was my favorite, and I wish I could go back on it, but I don't know if that's viable because of the lip movements I was having at the high dose. But it didn't make me sleepy or dumbed-down or anything- I felt wonderful on it. Which I know is strange, as most of the older ones kick peoples' asses, usually. I was on Cogentin with it, and I still had some side-effects. Sadness.

risperdal: 3 out of 5 stars, minus 2 for not getting rid of all the paranoia and occassional delusions.

emsam: 0 stars, doesn't work.

lamictal: I am going to reserve judgement on this one, as I have apparently just begun the theraputic level on this drug.

It's a shame about the TD on the older APs. They can be incredibly effective for some and you avoid the whole cholesterol madness, usually.

Tradeoffs. Why haven't you tried any of the newer ones other than risp/abilify? They are out there....

Good luck.

Maybe 20 m.g. of abilfiy would do the trick while being less sedating. I have heard the higher the dose of abilfiy, the more sedating it can be. Did not work out that way at ALL for me, heh, but I am a special snowflake of craziness.

Anna

Saphris. Saphris. God, I feel like drug company rep right now....

Well the medication I'm on right now is Clozaril and I have to give that a perfect 5 out of 5 stars. It works very well for my psychosis and it works as well as it can to help my mood swings. The doc is still titrating the dosage, but at the dose I'm on it's working very well.

Zyprexa I'd give a 4 out of 5 when I was on it. It worked well but gave me akathisia and increased anxiety.

Abilify I liked how it made me feel but it gave me akathisia and swallowing problems so I lost 30 lbs from it. I went from like 150 to like 120 (became underweight for my height of 5' 8")

Risperdal and Seroquel didn't work for me (seroquel actually made my psychosis worse) so they are 0 / 5.

Invega helped but made me sedated and I had to take Artane for side effects so I'd give that one a 3 / 5.

Geodon as terrible. Lowest dose (20mg), 8 side effects. -1.

Thorazine I'm allergic too so that's a definite - infinity

Navane I was on for a very short period of time in the hospital. It caused akathisia that cogentin couldn't help control. It didn't really help the psychosis either but I wasn't on Navane long enough or on a high enough dosage to tell.

I can't tell you about Fanapt or Saphris because they weren't on the market when I was trialing APs.

And that's my list.

It's a shame about the TD on the older APs. They can be incredibly effective for some and you avoid the whole cholesterol madness, usually.

Tradeoffs. Why haven't you tried any of the newer ones other than risp/abilify? They are out there....

Good luck.

Maybe 20 m.g. of abilfiy would do the trick while being less sedating. I have heard the higher the dose of abilfiy, the more sedating it can be. Did not work out that way at ALL for me, heh, but I am a special snowflake of craziness.

Anna

Saphris. Saphris. God, I feel like drug company rep right now....

I'm going to talk to the doctor when I see him next and ask. Really, I just kind of go with what they recommend, as I'll give just about any drug/dose a try unless I get bad side-effects- and the ones they've wanted to try me on have been risperidone and Abilify. Because of insurance problems, I really haven't seen a doctor for more than a few months before having the switch to a new one, so every time I go, it's like starting fresh. So it's not like one doctor put me on all of these meds/dosages- that was between three different doctors.

But I think I'm getting to the point that I'm ready to start asking about drugs for myself. I honestly don't feel that the Abilify is doing much, and it's the risperidone that's keeping me afloat right now, so unless it kicks in soon, I'll look into other ones and then ask about them on my next visit in a couple of weeks.

Seroquel: 4/5 - It slices my psychosis, but it makes me hungry and my heart go at double speed sometimes, and makes me feel faint with fast heart rate. Still my fave med, though. It completes me.

Solian: 3/5 - good antipsychotic effect, akathisia at higher doses, no periods, no sex drive.

Zyprexa: 2/5 - didn't make a dent in my psychosis, and made me want to eat a whole KFC store.

Abilify - 1/5 - The devil to me. Exacerbated psychosis badly.

Zeldox - 3/5 - No bad side effects, ended up making me really really manic so had to stop.

Risperidone - 2/5 - No antipsychotic effect on me, I lactated and was hungry.

Haven't tried Clozapine, looking forwards to trying Fanapt and Latuda, and the other new one!

I am not diagnosed Schizo[affective], however my symptoms point more towards that diagnosis.

As for meds, I am on Zyprexa, 10mg, however I take 15mg when needed in bad streaks. I have been on and off of it for like 5 years now, and recently accepted the fact that it will stay in my life, becaue it works amazingly well. I feel completely absent of paranoia, agitation, delusions, suspicions, and it helps my mood. I always feel better going to bed (I take it before bed by an hour or so) and when I wake up.

Unfortuantely, it made me overweight and slightly stupid, so it won't get 5 stars. I will give it 4/5.

I've been on a number of medications but these are the ones I am on right now:

Effexor 200mgs - It controles my pain levels from Fibromyalgia which was a miricle to me. Its not perfect but I could hardly walk before I started taking it. I give it a 4/5 because its very addictive and I have had to go through the withdrawl once because my Dr quit where he was working and moved and it took toime to get in with a new doc. It also helps with my obsessive thinking which can get terrible.

Welbutrin: I feel more grounded and able to focus more and think more strait. Its hard to tell exactly what it contributes but it makes me not want to stuff my face as much. I hive it a 3/5.

Invega 6mg: this is another miricle drug for me. Its improved my level of functioning without making me sleepy all day or empty headed. I'[ve also had a LOT less halucinations and delusions and mood swings on it. I would fight to keep this one and its expensive as heck but my medicaid and medicare covers it - thankfully. I have had little side effects on this medication which is nothing like the others I have been on. Its a long release version of Risperidol (which I have also been on) but because its released slowly in the system there is no medication ups and downs with the side effects. 5/5 for contoling my psycotic symptoms and improving my side effects on anti-psychotics.

Lamictal: I take this one for sciatica and back pain from 2 bad disk in my back. Its gotten me mostly off the opiods altogether which is a big help because opiods make my symptoms worse and I was addicted to them. I know it also controles mood swings which is a plus because I get my worse symptoms at the peak of depression which has been with me on one level or another since I can recall. 4/5?

Lisinopril, coumadine and allegra I take for other health problems. I dont think I would survive without the coumadine because I clot up. I've had two pulmanry embolisms that almost killed me. Lisinopril is for my high (extreemly high) blood pressure caused by my cystic kidnies and being 270 pounds of blubber. The allergy pill is so I can live with my cutie kitty that is my companion. I cant really rate these but I'll give them 4/5 because there are some side effects though I cant sort them out in me because I take so many pills.

Nothing seems to control my ranting and raving but thats probably just me cause my Mom is the same way and she isnt sick with this. At most she's probably a tad bipolar, though but thats my opinion.

Archived