CrazyBoards.org

Starting Prozac for the first time tomorrow!?!?!?!

Well I never took prozac but I took similar medications (Zoloft, Paxil, Lexapro).

Of the 3, I liked Lexapro the best. It did help keep the depression and panic attacks away but after about 2 years, (because I a bipolar type disorder) I went from depressed to even to manic, so I had to go off of Lexapro when I went manic.

For 3 weeks after going off of Lexapro cold turkey, I had dizziness that didn't go away. I feel fortunate that it resolved on it's own.

What does your psychiatrist have to say about you being on Prozac? What was the dosage prescribed?

What is your diagnosis, why do you have psychosis right now, is it depression with psychosis, are you bp, what?

What dose of prozac does your doc want to start you on?

What specific questions do you have?

I feel very badly about prozac but I was started on 40 m.g. for tx of med induced bulemia and it sent me into a major manic episode and relapsed on ETOH and had to go back to rehab.

I am bipolar I with very major psychosis. I tolerated low dose zoloft very well. But on depakote at the time, unlike when on prozac.

Anna

Everyone reacts to psych meds differently, so our experiences only say so much. For me, my pdoc tried me on it for a while since lots of people respond to it pretty well- that wasn't the case for me personally, but I gather that my reaction to it wasn't typical. It aggravated my existing seizure condition, so obviously in my case that was a no-go, because no one wants to be getting seizures all the time, even mild ones! It also gave me a pretty flat affect. But your mileage may vary, and all. I hope it works better for you than it did for me!

Archived