CrazyBoards.org

Though I could be wrong, when I studied bipolar in psychology classes, I was taught that in order to have mania, you needed psychosis to be present, but that was when I was taught back in 2006. Information could have changed of course over the past 5 years.

So based on the lack of psychosis, it would be hypo mania, but maybe not far from the border. (that's my opinion).

Though I could be wrong, when I studied bipolar in psychology classes, I was taught that in order to have mania, you needed psychosis to be present, but that was when I was taught back in 2006. Information could have changed of course over the past 5 years.

So based on the lack of psychosis, it would be hypo mania, but maybe not far from the border. (that's my opinion).

That is not correct. Check the DSM criteria.

I don't think psychosis has to be present for it to be a manic episode. psychotic features are, I think, part of what leads to a diagnosis of bp1, tho.

No. Not so much. Although, the presence of psychosis does rule out bpII.

The DSM says the episode has to last more than 2 weeks (if not treated), not induced by meds, no psychosis, and you can still function for it to be hypomania.

IMO, the distinction between hypomania and mania differs from doctor to doctor. I don't even know if the distinction is all that useful unless there is psychosis present.

No. Why am I the evening's correctrix? According to the DSM, hypomania has to last 4 days, mania 7.

The key distinction between hypomania and mania is the extent to which they impair function. Hypomania impairs functioning to a noticeable extent, but not enough to cause, "marked impairment, in social or occupational functioning."

Mania, on the other hand, "is sufficiently severe to cause marked impairments in occupational functioning or in usual social activities or relationships with others, or to necessitate hospitalization to prevent harm to self or others, or there are psychotic features."

why am I bp2 when I have been delusional and paranoid and seen things and hallucnated being shot at?

You would have to ask your pdoc about that. Did the psychotic symptoms occur in the context of a mood episode? Were they elicited by some kind of med?

why am I bp2 when I have been delusional and paranoid and seen things and hallucnated being shot at?

You would have to ask your pdoc about that. Did the psychotic symptoms occur in the context of a mood episode? Were they elicited by some kind of med?

they have almost always happened during an episode, up or down.

That sounds right for depression.

I think psychosis during depression + hypomania = BPII. Which I think is weird, but true.

Sweet, I'm BPII according to this. I need to bring this up with pdoc when I see him in two days, actually, to see what his opinion is about that. I've never asked him which flavor I am, but I had always assumed any psychosis meant BPI, even if it was during depression like it was for me.

The DSM says the episode has to last more than 2 weeks (if not treated), not induced by meds, no psychosis, and you can still function for it to be hypomania.

IMO, the distinction between hypomania and mania differs from doctor to doctor. I don't even know if the distinction is all that useful unless there is psychosis present.

No. Why am I the evening's correctrix? According to the DSM, hypomania has to last 4 days, mania 7.

Sorry. 2 weeks is depression, then, right?

In exl's case, is there a distinction between psychosis that's only experience when depressed vs. psychosis that's present when manic? For example, is someone who experiences psychotic depression and hypomania still BPI?

I was delusional over the summer while hypomanic. the rest have basically been when I was depressed.

That sounds right for depression.

I think psychosis during depression + hypomania = BPII. Which I think is weird, but true.

Sweet, I'm BPII according to this. I need to bring this up with pdoc when I see him in two days, actually, to see what his opinion is about that. I've never asked him which flavor I am, but I had always assumed any psychosis meant BPI, even if it was during depression like it was for me.

First, does it really matter? It's unlikely to change your treatment, so...?

Second, I thought you'd had psychotic symptoms outside of mood episodes?

Second, I thought you'd had psychotic symptoms outside of mood episodes?

I was depressed for years with the psychotic stuff and then I was productive for a few months, even to the point of doc letting me try no AP's for about five months because of my tongue beginning to cramp up. I had no psychotic symptoms and then in mid Spring of last year I blew all of my money and wasn't sleeping more than four hours a night. The episode was diagnosed as hypomania and so I got put on AP's again to bring me down and the dx was changed from Depression with psychosis (which was previously Schizophrenia) to Bipolar w/e. I also started a mood stabilizer and then this Winter I started becoming depressed again (not suicidal, but fatigue and lack of motivation). In the week before starting Wellbutrin I was afraid there was someone in my chimney. Fast forward to six weeks later on WB, and I feel more "normal" again.

And that's your Cuttlefish year and a half of crazy in review.

I was delusional over the summer while hypomanic. the rest have basically been when I was depressed.

This is totally splitting hairs at this point, but since it's germane to the topic, if you were delusional, you were, by definition, psychotic (I'm pretty sure), and therefore manic, which would equal bipolar I.

Agreed.

Archived