CrazyBoards.org

Neurontin has really been disproven as a mood stabilizer I think to the point of lawsuit. It can be good for chornic anxiety and pain mgt. It is somewhat approved as an add on mood stabilizer to boost effectiveness, I believe.

Lamictal I found more useful than neurontin, particularly for the depressive side. I cannot speak to its mood stabilizing properties at higher doses as I got SJS 3 times whilst titrating up (I loved it so much and was so desperate for an AD effect at that point in my life, I was willing to try, and pdoc was willing to let me.)

Most would think that lamictal would be a more effective mood stabilizer generally, I should think, but of course, as always, it would depend on your flavor. If you were a highly anxious, depressive non manic type, maybe neurontin would work well for that piece. I don't know. I know it stopped ANY panic attacks I used to have dead in their tracks without my really even realizing it. And it was nice not to have to use benzos at that point. I still consider it somewhat useful and it gives me NO s.e.'s which is really nice. Pdoc probably wants me to drop it once I'm off quel, stable on saphris, and see what happens with just depakote. I'm willing. But I need to get rid of the benzos FIRST.

Yeah, complex answer, sorry, but it's a really sort of hard question because everyone responds to meds differently.

Anna

As Anna said, the research just isn't there for neurontin as a mood stabilizer. I also found it useful for some anxiety I was having at the time, but that's about it.

Given that it tends to be pretty side effect free, there's no harm in giving it a try, I guess. Unless that postpones your starting something else, like lamictal, that's much more likely to work.

Guest pseudomonkey

I used Neurontin for pain and hoped that it would help my mood as an add on. Nadda.

My Lamictal is 100x more helpful. I'm all the way up at 400mg. It's still not enough fix things, but it's alot better than nothing.

Guest pseudomonkey

I used Neurontin for pain and hoped that it would help my mood as an add on. Nadda.

My Lamictal is 100x more helpful. I'm all the way up at 400mg. It's still not enough fix things, but it's alot better than nothing.

Right on, thanks for the info, I do plan to get back on the Lamictal after this pinched nerve fiasco is over, maybe, or I stop the Gaba for pain :mellow:

I started Lamictal for its anti-depressant / mood stabilization properties about 2 years ago, and it works great for me combined with Wellbutrin. About a year ago I started taking 600 mg of gabapentin for hot flashes, and didn't change my dose of either the Lamictal or Wellbutrin. I haven't noticed any mood effects from the gabapentin at all, but it does work well for hot flashes.

Both my pdoc and GP know all of my meds, and both are comfortable with me taking the Lamictal and gabapentin at the same time. If I wanted mood stabilization I would definitely opt for the Lamictal.

I haven't noticed any mood effects from the gabapentin at all, but it does work well for hot flashes.

Thanks! That's great to know. I had hot flashes on Effexor so I know how horrible they are. If going back on a gaba med helps I'm all over it later on!

Neurontin has really been disproven as a mood stabilizer I think to the point of lawsuit.

Lawsuit, really? I didn't realize. I used gabapentin on its own for awhile (I had been on the meddy-go-round for a long time and needed a break), and it did help, but I think only because I was using it in conjunction with DBT. I was still cycling, but at a manageable level. My pdoc has been around a long time, and said that he has had a few patients that have shown some improvement with gabapentin, even though the research isn't there to support it. He said that since every brain is different, and docs don't actually know exactly what is going on when they treat us, he doesn't rule it out. (His saying things like that is why I am his devoted patient-- a doctor admitting that he doesn't know EVERYTHING?! Whoa!)

Of course, then everything in my life went to shit, I lost my DBT therapist, and that tiny help from the gabapentin wasn't cutting it anymore. Started adding some more meds/went crazy/hospital/med cocktail, yay.

Given that it tends to be pretty side effect free, there's no harm in giving it a try, I guess.

I agree that it is mostly side effect free, but what I noticed as my dosages went up (which you have to do with gabapentin over time), is that the stoopid got worse and didn't go away.

I was on Lamictal for two years, and other than getting a tremor, it didn't help. Might as well have been Tic-Tacs. Except Tic-Tacs don't give me a tremor.

For some folks with cyclothymia and really bad anxiety,I do think neurontin can help.

the lawsuit was that they company was going around like snake oil sailsment recommending it for EVERY condition with no reserach to back it up.

I actually like my neurontin and think it helps my anxiety. Like you said, everyone is different. I find it a very calming, soothing med and to be SE free. You literally cannot OD on it. it's good for pain. Gabapentin has some pluses, just not as many as the company was originally CLAIMING.

Anna

Actually, neither did much for me mood-wise. Neurontin was excellent for anxiety, not bad for migraine, nothing for mood. Lamictal gave me a boost initially, but that didn't last, and it made me horribly, progressively stupid. I tried it with Depakote, by itself, and with lithium and Abilify in two separate trials at least a year apart without success. However, I think my experience falls in the minority and most people find Lamictal more useful than I did. If I were looking for mood stabilization and it had to be one of these two, I would go with Lamictal.

For some folks with cyclothymia and really bad anxiety,I do think neurontin can help.

the lawsuit was that they company was going around like snake oil sailsment recommending it for EVERY condition with no reserach to back it up.

I actually like my neurontin and think it helps my anxiety. Like you said, everyone is different. I find it a very calming, soothing med and to be SE free. You literally cannot OD on it. it's good for pain. Gabapentin has some pluses, just not as many as the company was originally CLAIMING.

Anna

I think you're right about the specifics of the lawsuit. But still, research hasn't shown much efficacy from neurontin as a mood stabilizer.

You literally cannot OD on it.

That's one of the fun things about the way it works. The more of it you take, the lower the percent of the total amount is absorbed by your body. After a certain point, it's very difficult to get your level much higher. You can be taking what seems like a fairly large amount, then double that, and still end up with hardly any more in your system.

Archived