CrazyBoards.org

So, this just happened...

snow-white

Alright so, recently I requested for one of my topics to be deleted. However that apparently isn't do-able on these board. The reason I requested that is because the girl who had said nasty things about MI tracked the thread through Google Analytics and found my account on here. She then posted a screencap with my Rx and Dx included on her public blog. I wanted the thread to be deleted so she couldn't come back to it and find my username when I was to change it. I was already irritated enough at that point.

Then I found out through my IP tracker that she and her boyfriend had gone through all my posts on this board to find where I posted my Tumblr blog URLs- one of which everyone knows about and the other I created specifically so that they wouldn't know about it and read my MI-related posts. I posted that URL here because I wanted it to be accessible to others living with MI. That's what it was meant for, not for people I know in person etc. Anyway, the two of them found that blog and read through every single post on there not once, but multiple times. Yes, that was a public blog but I didn't link to it on my main blog and only posted the URL on this forum where it was relevant. So it wasn't exactly an invitation and took some work to find.

I wouldn't be surprised if either of them read this post but I honestly don't care if they read what I write on here. This entire post is truth so there is really nothing for them to be upset about. I decided to keep my username on here because they'd probably just find it anyway if I changed it. I don't even know why any of my posts on here would concern them anyway. It's not like my sleep cycle and medication side-effects should be of any interest to people I don't speak to or see in person. However, I did change my semi-private MI blog's URL. If you are interested in viewing that blog, please feel free to PM me as I am not going to post that URL on here again.

I am sorry this happened to you. I don't know for sure, but maybe there's a way to set your blogs and posts so that no one without a membership can find them. Then, if those folks continued to pester you, they'd have to have at least one account here to do it, which would make it easier for you in turn to track them back and filter them if need be. I'm not totally comfortable with the way things are run here, so I don't know if this is workable or not, but I did want to come here and suggest something out of solidarity, rather than just leave my useless empathy.

I have a person in my life who is kind of a snoop, so I've developed ways of making it more difficult for that person to track me. If you want those, it would be fine for you to PM and I would gladly share if you believe it would help.

You can set your blog so that only members can see it, or create a private list of members who can see your blog. Ask a mod if you need more info on how to do that.

The board has to be indexed by google because that's the only way new members can come, and the ads from the guests help fund CB (AFAIK).

Wow, that sucks ass. I just have to wonder why that person would do that. I mean what would motivate them? They just sound snoopy and evil. I know you have to be careful. I'm not real familiar with the Tumblr blog or whatever it was you were using that they had access to; I assume it's some sort of outside thing like facebook.

Regardless, what they did was not cool. I think the suggestions that have been given are certainly worth looking into. I'm still not real familiar with how to privatize blogs and such. The one thing I do know is that when I'm logged out of CB and I try to access my personal profile it says I'm not permitted to read user profiles.

I don't ever go into detail about what kind of work I do, and I refrain from putting anything that might be considered inflammatory regarding work. Not saying you've done that, but I've dealt with this kind of thing before. That said I don't understand what people's motives are. I guess inherently people are nosy.

I would just try to implement some of the suggestions here. It's sad but you kind of have to be about self preservation. Don't let people take advantage of you.

I hope the suggestions others have given will work. I'm sorry you had to deal with this.

Oh no no no the blog I'm referring to isn't the one through here. I have an IP tracker on my tumblr blog and I know her IP address and I saw every page that she had been to on my blog.

Thank you all for the support. That Tumblr blog link I had only posted here so the only way she could have found it was through here. I could make that blog private but then it would defeat the purpose of connecting to other people with MIs. That's why I just changed the URL of it so that she can't find it again. If for some reason she makes a point to find it again, I'll know because I have her IP logged.

A private blog here is really very quite secure. No one can see it except the people you put on your list. It is easy to create and I think you are allowed at least two, and possibly even 3 blogs.

You can also have a blog that only YOU read.

I second wholeheartedly Di's lecture about safety, MI on the internet, and ETC. We actively encourage users to give no identifying information whatsoever, precisely because these horror stories do happen. My real name is not on here, nor is anything connected to me, you know?

I have a public blog that I use when I'm comfortable, and a private one where I go into the super nitty gritty stuff. Mainly because even changing names, details, etc., there are certain people in life I don't trust, don't care for, and don't WANT having access to that stuff. Not even slightly at all.

Anna

Archived