CrazyBoards.org

Is medication supposed to "cure" you?

I have been feeling intense depression that has slowly built up over the last several days. Does this mean I'll have to change meds or can they just raise it? I'm on Lithium (1200mg) and Abilify for the mania/depression. Lithium completely seems to control the mania and I don't want to change it. I am only on 10 mg Abilify and had been on 25 mg last year (without Lithium). I just started a new job and don't want to have to deal with new meds, but I can't handle the depression. I slept from 7pm last night until 1pm today with the exception of maybe a couple hours.

Guest Vapourware

Medication for bipolar is not meant as a "cure" - it's more about management of symptoms. Bipolar is not seen as something that is cureable, unfortunately. It's a chronic condition.

You still have a lot of leeway with the Abilify so if your depression continues, it's a good idea to speak with your pdoc to get a medication tweak.

Yes, dosage adjustments are usually easier than whole new meds.... So you might want to try some things. Stress SIGNIFICANTLY impacts my sx, and hence, my medication regimen. Stress is now, these days, my biggest episode trigger. It really sucks sometimes....

Anna

Yes, dosage adjustments are usually easier than whole new meds.... So you might want to try some things. Stress SIGNIFICANTLY impacts my sx, and hence, my medication regimen. Stress is now, these days, my biggest episode trigger. It really sucks sometimes....

Anna

Same here, though I am MDD. I just had a major stressful event that knocked me to my knees for a few weeks. Pdoc increased the Abilify to 15 mgs from 10 mgs and things are much better.

nf

From years of experience, medications don't "cure" you, they can only help manage symptoms. Medications and therapy together is the key. I had a stressor and that increased my anxiety and mood episode this past week but I'm getting better. The medications also help to lessen the intensity and severity of the episodes, which is helpful.

I don't think it's the job, it's more that I ran out of the medication that suppresses my dreams and I had some family I had to separate from which was the worst thing that's ever happened to me so when i dream about them- which was often this weekend- I fall into a really deep depression. I kept going back to sleep because it's the only place I can see them, but then I'd wake up crying. The job is a job and I can deal with it, I just wish I could deal with something as simple as dreams. I'm too sensitive and I hate it.

Archived