CrazyBoards.org

antidepressants

i think the title says it all. is anyone else not able to tolerate antidepressants?

i've been on 4, each of which had bad repercussions. two SSRIs, one SNRI, and one tricyclic. pdoc suggested trying another one if i wanted to try and lift my depression, but i'm afraid to. i think i'm just going to stick with "no."

i know other people are in the same boat, but i kinda wanted to hear it first hand (reassurance) and possibly what you did instead.

thank you!

There are many, many folks who cannot take ADs of any type whatsoever. So much so that whole areas of reserach are dedicated, currently, to finding non Ad approaches to treating BP depression, as it is extremely hard to treat.

So, yeah on that. I don't take ADs for the most part for just that reason....

Anna

There are many, many folks who cannot take ADs of any type whatsoever. So much so that whole areas of reserach are dedicated, currently, to finding non Ad approaches to treating BP depression, as it is extremely hard to treat.

So, yeah on that. I don't take ADs for the most part for just that reason....

Anna

so do mood stabilizers help it? i mean i know they can keep you level and out of either extreme, and i know that things like lithium can help the manic side a lot, but is there anything like that for depression? i know people have said lamictal, but i'm not finding that to be true. then again i've seen minimal improvement on it in general, so...

wemble, were you on a decent stabilizer when you took the ADs? Most with bipolar have bad AD experiences before they are on stabilizers. Once on effective stabilizers, many folks can take ADs. Others can't take certain types and some none at all.

I'm not sure if I can handle ADs on meds. I'm fairly certain that I can't handle an SSRI. I know that serotonin makes me psychotic. I even went mixed w/psychosis then nearly manic on Geodon while on other stabilizers. (It hits serotonin pretty hard.) That plus reactions prior to dx make me think SSRIs are no good for me regardless of other meds. It's rather moot. My pdoc won't prescribe them. She's not thrilled about Effexor or Wellbutrin since I showed up pre-dx at her door manic on this cocktail. The only AD we agree is a possibility as a last case scenario is Wellbutrin despite my reaction without a stabilizer. To my knowledge, this is the AD best tolerated by those with BP, at least anecdotally.

I do get AD effects from Lamictal. Lithium is perhaps a stronger antidepressant for me.

wemble, were you on a decent stabilizer when you took the ADs? Most with bipolar have bad AD experiences before they are on stabilizers. Once on effective stabilizers, many folks can take ADs. Others can't take certain types and some none at all.

I'm not sure if I can handle ADs on meds. I'm fairly certain that I can't handle an SSRI. I know that serotonin makes me psychotic. I even went mixed w/psychosis then nearly manic on Geodon while on other stabilizers. (It hits serotonin pretty hard.) That plus reactions prior to dx make me think SSRIs are no good for me regardless of other meds. It's rather moot. My pdoc won't prescribe them. She's not thrilled about Effexor or Wellbutrin since I showed up pre-dx at her door manic on this cocktail. The only AD we agree is a possibility as a last case scenario is Wellbutrin despite my reaction without a stabilizer. To my knowledge, this is the AD best tolerated by those with BP, at least anecdotally.

I do get AD effects from Lamictal. Lithium is perhaps a stronger antidepressant for me.

i wasn't when i was on prozac, which sent me manic and rapid cycling, but my main problems with SSRIs are severe physical side effects (seizure-like muscle spasms, slurred speech, shuffled walk, etc.) so that's why i can't take those. on pamelor i was on lamictal and upped the lamictal when i started getting antsy, which worked for a while. once i hit about 6 weeks on pamelor i was full blown crazy manic, so that was that. on wellbutrin, the same sorta thing. was ok, then got antsy, upped the lamictal. then i got all weird. i dunno if it was manic - i mean i had the racing thoughts, etc. and was hypomanic for the beginning part (before i upped the lamictal) but then i got hypersensitive to everything, couldn't be touched, couldn't touch anything, lights were too bright, sounds too loud, etc. so i went off that.

so i guess i could try a new mood stabilizer (which we've been talking about) with a tricyclic or MAOI, but i'm still skeptical... i've actually been feeling pretty ok since the last med change (200mg lamictal, 2mg risperidone), but i also just came off of an episode, so possible period of normalcy? we'll see. :rolleyes:

I haven't had any luck with antidepressants. I tried Zoloft and Welbutrin most recently and it was not pleasant. Both were too activating and I had to discontinue them. I had muscle spasms and a whole bunch of other crappy side effects with Zoloft and got the "that shouldn't be happening" line from pdoc and the neurologist he sent me to. It took about 6 weeks to feel better after stopping the Zoloft.

Lamictal is okay but not what I'd hoped. I'm taking it with Xanax at the moment and doing just okay. Maybe a higher dose would make a difference. Counseling helps me, both supportive therapy and cognitive-behavioral stuff. I swing between irritable and depressed when things are bad- Therapy gives me the opportunity to vent and blow off steam, and discuss coping skills (Of course. What fun.) I keep hearing that exercising is a great way to treat depression and need to try that, too.

I found risperdone to be a pretty effective mood booster to a good mood stabilizer, as a matter of fact. So this may end up being the right cocktail for you. AAPs CAN boost AD efficacy of mood stabilizers.

I read somehwere a review of literature (which I can no longer find anywhere) that indicated that MAOIs are the ADs the least likely to send bipolars over the edge, and the most likely to work. Emsam might be an option, particularly if low doses work for you and you don't have to deal with the dietary restrictions and whatnot.

Anna.

Lamictal is a very activating stabilizer, especially at lower doses. A lot of docs won't prescribe it without a stronger antimanic for those who experience much hypo. I would not necessarily write off the ADs you tried on it because you might have a different reaction with a more serious antimanic.

If I was you, I'd add Lithium. Admittedly, I am biased. You'd be on my cocktail and I haven't been this stable since before puberty. If Lithium works for you, it can be a wonderful drug. If it doesn't, then you move on.

I found risperdone to be a pretty effective mood booster to a good mood stabilizer, as a matter of fact. So this may end up being the right cocktail for you. AAPs CAN boost AD efficacy of mood stabilizers.

I read somehwere a review of literature (which I can no longer find anywhere) that indicated that MAOIs are the ADs the least likely to send bipolars over the edge, and the most likely to work. Emsam might be an option, particularly if low doses work for you and you don't have to deal with the dietary restrictions and whatnot.

Anna.

good to know. i really do feel a difference know and was really (well, more like REALLY) crappy before. it's taken care of the paranoia too, though some other issues are still out and about.

and i still want to avoid ADs at the moment, but i'll keep that in mind for the future. i figured that'd be my next go to anyway. the dietary restrictions don't look too bad as my diet ATM already limits a lot of things.

thank you!

Lamictal is a very activating stabilizer, especially at lower doses. A lot of docs won't prescribe it without a stronger antimanic for those who experience much hypo. I would not necessarily write off the ADs you tried on it because you might have a different reaction with a more serious antimanic.

If I was you, I'd add Lithium. Admittedly, I am biased. You'd be on my cocktail and I haven't been this stable since before puberty. If Lithium works for you, it can be a wonderful drug. If it doesn't, then you move on.

he mentioned lithium 2 sessions ago (at our normal med check, not this last "oh shit!" med check). i'm leaning towards giving it a try as most of my issues seem to be with activating (even slightly) drugs and being slightly manic or irritable and over-sensitized to say the least. even this last depression involved episode i'm pretty sure was a mixed episode (different from the type i've had in the past, but still invoked the "oh shit..." feeing. mixed episodes are also the only times i've ever considered going to the hospital and it was definitely on the table for a bit).

i also wanna be just like you. :loved::lol::P

Guest Vapourware

Personally I haven't had too much luck with ADs. Aurorix [a MAOI] sent me into a nasty mixed state which was rather unpleasant, and more recently Pristiq flattened my moods and I felt a bit zombiefied while on it. I've found ziprasidone to be pretty useful in boosting and stabilising my moods. Some AAPs can be really good in that regard.

Id say lithium and maybe depkate are your go to meds then. give yourself a decent stabilization period (5--6 months) and you may not need an AD at all.

Anna

that's what i'm thinking after doing a bit of research and talking on here. i'm gonna have a talk with pdoc on monday.

I've had bad reactions to Prozac several times in the past. Also to Paxil and Lexapro. My doctor is currently trying me on Wellbutrin because he wanted me to go on an anti-psychotic or an anti-depressant again and I wasn't enthusiastic about either and Wellbutrin sounded like the best option. SSRIs cause me to cycle hard and it's scary. They are deceiving because at first they seem to be working well and then I go to extremes, I'm afraid that the WB will be do the same but the doctor reassured me that it won't act the same way since it's not an SSRI. I do feel better on it I haven't gotten super depressed like I had been without it. I'll repost after a week or two and let you know how I'm doing with it.

I don't do good on antidepressants. I've been on 5. I start out ok on an antidepressant but then over time I become manic and I have to discontinue the antidepressant in order to "fix" the episode. (had to cold turkey Lexapro to fix one episode in the hospital one time; not pleasant).

I don't do good on antidepressants. I've been on 5. I start out ok on an antidepressant but then over time I become manic and I have to discontinue the antidepressant in order to "fix" the episode. (had to cold turkey Lexapro to fix one episode in the hospital one time; not pleasant).

yeah, most of mine have been cold turkey quits, but at least for the ssris i wasn't on them long enough to feel a difference. pamelor was ok but wellbutrin (along with a mix of what was also brewing at the time) was ugh.

Took Zoloft for years until I got on mood stabelizers

. Coming off was hellish, at best. Total foginess and what I can only describe as "brain zaps" where it seemed like an electrical current was

passing through my body from my head down. Anyone ever experience that weird withdrawl symptom?

I can tolerate AD's and they have been fantastic for my anxiety but not very effective for depression. I have tried several. The only things that have worked for my depression have been Zyprexa (years ago), which I couldn't tolerate because of the weight gain. Just recently I've started being treated for BP and put on Lamictal, which has just been amazing. I love it so much. I think it may be the case that BP depression responds more to mood-stabilizers (both Zyprexa and Lamictal are approved for long-term maintenance of BP) than antidepressants, which would make sense really. That's just my personal theory based on my own experiences.

Took Zoloft for years until I got on mood stabelizers

. Coming off was hellish, at best. Total foginess and what I can only describe as "brain zaps" where it seemed like an electrical current was

passing through my body from my head down. Anyone ever experience that weird withdrawl symptom?

I get those electric-shock things whenever I don't take Zoloft for a few days. Feels so weird and bad. I've been on it for like a year and a half. I can't even reduce the dose by 50mg. I don't really care though. I used to have panic attacks all the time and since I've been above 100mg I haven't had a single one. My best friend has taken it for 20 years and expects to take it for the rest of her life. I might do the same, I guess. My only concern is that I have heard AD's may worsen the course of illness in bipolar disorder... That worries me a fair bit.

Archived