CrazyBoards.org

The "right" combination

Last week, I was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder (after previous dx of Bipolar I).

The pdoc started me on zyprexa in addition to my current cocktail of lithium, lamictal and clonozepam.

I've gone through a series of trials this past year to come to this point.

I often hear folks on these forums talking about finding the right combo of meds. for them.

Doesn't it seem like there could always be a "better combo" right around the corner?

I don't mean to dampen anyone's enthusiasm for what seems to be working for them.

It just seems like there's ALOT of trial and error that goes into all of this in the area of

psychiatric medication.

Sorry if this seems to be a rant. Its just that when I read other testimonies to meds, I begin to

wonder if there isn't something better out there for me to be adding or subtracting. Also, its

a bit daunting to see how many former meds some folks have gone through.

You just started the zyprexa last week. Give it a minute to do its thing.

I can't speak for anyone else, but, having gone through meds a plenty, now that I'm on a combo. that's working well, without big side effects, my interest in making big changes is pretty minnimal.

Admittedly, there are a couple of things I'm curious about, but in more of a vague, theoretical, way.

Guest Vapourware

Sometimes trying to find the right combo is like being someone's chemistry experiment, but unfortunately people don't know how exactly psych meds work on the brain and they can also work differently on individuals. What works for one person may not work for another, hence all the possible changes. However, once you find the right combination, it can really give your life back so hang in there and give your meds time to work.

Finding the right combination from what I heard from a website "is an art and a science".

I'm still in the works of getting on the right meds and the right dosages.

The meds that I will eventually be worked to are Clozaril, Lithium, Topamax, and Colace.

However, every medication will work differently for every person.

And don't forget the addition of therapy to help out too.

I really don't go batshit looking for the "best" combo when I'm stable... because I'm stable. I only obesess on combinations if I'm not doing well. During those times, yes, I obsess.

And like SS said, you really have to give combinations a chance to work and yes, new stuff comes all the time but if you reach a point where it ain't broke... why risk it?

Anna

Last week, I was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder (after previous dx of Bipolar I).

The pdoc started me on zyprexa in addition to my current cocktail of lithium, lamictal and clonozepam.

I've gone through a series of trials this past year to come to this point.

Don't worry too much about your dx. Remember, it's largely just a signpost pointing to your treatment goals. In this case, and this is in my own terms, you're kind of being treated for a mix of bp and sz. So yeah, maybe this trial will be more effective.

As the others have said, sometimes it takes a while, even quite awhile. I've gone through some crap, and while what I've got isn't perfect, it's mix of what works quite well and what is at the threshhold of what allows me to function and live my life (work, etc.). I'm happy with what I've got.

So, maybe there's something better. The question you have to ask yourself is, is what you have working to your satisfaction, and are the side effects tolerable compared to the palliative effects?

I'm stable. If miracle-cure came out tomorrow, I'd be reluctant to try it because what I'm on is working. I think that when you get nice and comfy stable, you'll feel the same. Until that happens, you'll likely be like me and many others, in want of something new.

The thing about trialing meds, you have to give the meds enough time to tell how they work for you. You have to have patience, which of course is frustrating and aggrevating since patience is so much harder to have when unstable.

I tend to tweak meds within their little classes, but overall, this keeps me stable:

Antipsychotic+SNRI antidepressant+Low-dose benzodiazepine+Low-dose dopaminergic stimulant

The so-called "mood-stabilizers" never seem to help or hurt which leads me to believe that I actually have schizoaffective disorder when combined with the prevailing psychosis absent of mood symptoms when not on high enough doses of antipsychotics.

Sorry if this seems to be a rant. Its just that when I read other testimonies to meds, I begin to

wonder if there isn't something better out there for me to be adding or subtracting. Also, its

a bit daunting to see how many former meds some folks have gone through.

Steve... it may seem that there always is a better combo because everyone is different, so my perfect combo is not your perfect combo... is not someone else`s perfect combo. There is no such thing as the perfect combo because we are all different. Still, it`s not that knowing if someone else has had an experience with a med is a bad thing. As they say "your milage may vary"

I'm stable. If miracle-cure came out tomorrow, I'd be reluctant to try it because what I'm on is working. I think that when you get nice and comfy stable, you'll feel the same. Until that happens, you'll likely be like me and many others, in want of something new.

I'm with ya Stacia. I'd be afraid that if I left my current meds I'd have to go through that awful circus of med trials again and risk not working, not finding anything else that works and my current meds not working if I come back to them at a later time.

Dawn

Archived