CrazyBoards.org

Increase in symptoms due to stress...

is it possible to even back out without adjusting meds? I was doing well on Lamictal and then with some added stress, I needed an increase. Felt a little better, bumped up again. Was doing much better. Then we had a beloved pet die suddenly and I was so depressed and sad. I had trouble bouncing back from it and I've been swinging back and forth a little bit. Not anything bad, at all.

Do you think if I gave it some time I would just settle back down? Or am I likely to need an adjustment anyway because of how easily I was knocked "off course". ?

Guest Vapourware

It's hard to say if you need a med adjustment, it depends on how long you stay in that state and how much it impacts on your daily functioning in life. However, it's okay to grieve for the loss of a beloved pet, especially if they died suddenly. Sorry about your loss, it hurts when you lose a pet like that.

Do you have a therapist you can talk this over with? Sometimes talking it out and processing the loss can help you recover quicker.

I'm sorry for the loss of your pet. If you want to adjust your meds, can you talk to your prescribing doctor before the next appointment?

Being stressed usually sends me spinning off into super-irritable, manicky feelings. Discussing it with my therapist helps quite a bit. Decreasing my triggers does, too. (Being overstimulated, whatever is causing the stress, caffiene, lack of sleep.) If the symptoms get too bad, I'll do some deep breathing to try to decrease the manicky feelings and anxiety.

Good luck and hope that you feel better soon.

Usually these situational "bumps" (mountains? valleys?) do even out with time, especially with someone to talk to and having good support (friends, family) is important.

God knows, when my ex walked out on me without warning (after 8 years) a couple years ago, the effect was...um, devastating. But with heavy support and a very available pdoc, I pulled through, and without changing any meds.

I lost a dog (my ex's) a few months ago to a sudden (well not really, but the news was unexpected) mouth tumor and I understand where you're coming from. To make matters even (hah) better just before Xmas I found out my dog I've had for 10 years has a tumor in his head--at least I have time to prepare but knowing is never easy. This time around, I did change my meds--the winter depression+the irritability brought about by all of this was causing me to become way to snippy with my coworkers, so I bit the bullet.

So, sometimes, yeah, all you can do is hold on, wait and see. Btw I also started seeing a therapist, which I haven't done in years--don't be afraid to lean on every resource.

Yeah, I could talk to him before, but it's only a week away and not really an emergency at this point. I have no problems calling if it gets bad though.

What usually works for me? Hmmm... withdrawing from everything for a little while if I'm really agitated. Or sometimes even if I'm really depressed. Sometimes I just need to do nothing for a while. Stress usually doesn't make me manic... I start out anxious or depressed and if it's a big stressor, then i will start swinging. I don't know, i seem to be okay the past few days, still kind of borderline hypomanic but it's so mild that i don't know if it counts. It passes for normal? As long as I stay this way, I'd be perfectly content. It's just it never does stay that way. ;)

Personally I would say yes, usually symptoms related to stress generally can work themselves out. Or I can work them out, whatever the case. For me, I try to do the things that I need to stay well. Self-care, exercise, fun, productive things, creative things, things for other people (the feel-good effect), being able to back off or delegate some things, eating right and taking my meds and vitamins properly. It is also important to work through the stress, whether that is writing, talking to someone, art, whatever. Just me though.

Dawn

Archived