CrazyBoards.org

i went to the doc and was told I have clinical depression

Guest kelly 01

Im 19 and currently study law at uni. I think most people would love to have what I have but Im dont enjoying it. I decided to go to the doc, as I have been feeling down for a while now. I think this was tiggered by me and my bf spilting up tbh which is a little patheic.Im on anti depressants (venlafaxine XL 75 mg). I was wondering is there any way of getting over depression other than taking pills? And what is clinical depression?

Hey there,

Glad you found us - I'm in university too.

I don't think it's pathetic that you were triggered by breaking up with your boyfriend - that's a big life change, and a really difficult one besides.

There are different approaches to depression. In my experience, the best one is a combination of therapy and medication, but different people find different things helpful. What are your worries/concerns about taking pills? As a group, we have a LOT of collective experience with meds and depression, and maybe we can help ease them a bit.

Guest kelly 01

Everyone seem very nice here, so I am very thankful for the support. Atm I am just on the pills but only having a month worth at a time which means they are watching me very carful. It has been a very short period of time which I have been on the pills, about a month or even less Im dont too sure tbh. I am on the waiting list for counselling but I need to wait three weeks before I can even see someone. Annoying much :S I am trying to help myself with taking the pills which I am taking every day and I am also trying to enjoy myself. By going out with friends and just exploring london in general I guess. As even with clinical depression going out may be of some help. There are some days where I can't get out of bed and sometimes my sleep pattern is very bad. I'm hoping my eating improves as I'm only sacking. Will this improve?

It been a bad couple of days as I had a argument with the ex last night which caused me to self harm on both my arms, legs and cheast. I'm in so much pain atm. I care about him and he told me he didn't love me for the first time. After being told he loved me many of time, after many phone calls.

Hey Kelly,

It sounds like you're doing all the right things. It's hard, but they do take time to work. Hopefully you'll start to feel better soon - when I'm on working meds, my eating and sleep get much better. I hope you stick around - maybe you can register and become a member and we'll keep you company while you wait.

Guest kelly 01

I've only been on them for a month so maybe I need to wait. I know when I first started I felt very postive and overall I have settled down a lot. The issue was atm I need to hide my wrists from the self harm I did last night, and I thought the self harm would stop when being on the pill but who knows I guess. I am on Venlalic XL mg tablets. I am trying to join the board but there is a issue with my email

You should probably be seeing something by now, but it can take a full 6-8 weeks for the full effects to show and for the side effects to settle down.

I hope you'll be able to get into counselling soon - it sucks that you have to wait for so long. Therapy is a big way that people learn skills other than self-harming. Have you looked at our list of alternatives to self-harm on the self-injury subboard? I like this one because it has specific alternatives for specific reasons why you might want to self-harm.

Sometimes I get scared about that too. But I just try to take things one step at a time.

If your antidepressant makes someone feel better, some people can stay on it for a little while, and then if they stay well, they can slowly come off. Taking these medications once doesn't necessarily mean forever.

For some people, if your depression comes back a lot or is hard to treat, you may be on meds for longer IF you make that decision with your doctor. You can always decide to come off if you really can't stand it anymore.

I used to get really upset about the idea of being on meds for a long time. I felt like I was too young for that. But then I realized that the most important thing to me is feeling okay, and whatever I have to do to stay that way, I'll do it. My meds don't give me many side effects and what there is, I manage. On the whole, it beats the stuffing out of being too depressed to get out of bed.

Guest kelly 01

Yeah, I understand it is more improntant for me to be happy, at the start I was very happy but this happness has 'leveled' down a bit. This may be why I have been 'down', well don't down but leveled out a little.

If you are at the point of self harming, that's probably depressed/severe enough to warrant both Ads and therapy, so I'm glad you are on the wait list, although it can suck while you are waiting.

Do check out the self injury board, it may be helpful while you wait.

In situational depressions with people not overall prone to clinical depression, sometimes meds for 6 mo to a year is all that's needed and the depression doesn't reoccur. So, it doesn't have to be a life sentence.

that said, even if you do have to take meds longer, it beats being depressed, usually. I think the hardest time is when you are first swallowing the pills, coping with the dx, and not YET feeling better. Hopefully things will start to shift soon.

I am very sorry about your bf.

12 weeks is the best predictor of clinical response to an AD, so you have some time yet to feel better.

Good luck and keep posting!

Anna

Guest kelly 01

Hiya everyone, I start counselling on the monday 2nd feb, I had the call this morning which is awsome :D Happy kelly :D. I think I may need to start watching what I am drinking alchol wise as this may be affect.As outside factors may be effecting the overall effect of the pills.

Um I don't know if I am proven to clinical depression or not, but in the past I have had many downs with I dealt with by cutting, but the doctor seems to think I am prove to it but who knows I guess. i think the break up happened as he was juggling to much, but he wasn't happy about the cutting which I stopped because of him mostly. It did happen as I was meant to come down to give him some um sexual flavours (so to speak) and I was unable to mostly because there was no trains running to clapham. Only buses which is very annoying as I live in greater london/west london so he decided to find another girl to give him this sexual flavour which upset, obviously. He got upset as I felt quite upset about this. As we had a but of a strange friendship/releaship going on at this time. Sorry for ranting. Im just annoyed at myself, for allowing him to control me, but maybe I just wasn't a good enough person for anyone. He told me to get help, that I needed help, like going into the doc or hopsital.

Archived