CrazyBoards.org

Ativan for nausea?

Does anyone know about taking ativan for nausea?

They gave my brother some yesterday. He gets very nauseous when he starts his dialysis treatment. The hospital claims this is not typical. They tried ativan yesterday because the other nausea drug (zofran) did not work to well. Ativan actually worked but he was so out of it all day it totally freaked out my SIL. Do other benzo's help nausea or is it just ativan in particular? I think they gave him two .5 mg. pills, but I am not sure.

FWIW...Ativan is my current drug of choice for nausea secondary to infusion therapy. It is rather sedating, but frankly I appreciate that aspect...

Medicine.net, smiply because it was the first on a google search

Lorazepam is effective for insomnia, panic attacks, and is used in combination with other medications to prevent nausea and vomiting resulting from chemotherapy.

They gave me Ativan for nausea in the hospital when the regular anti-nausea meds weren't enough. When they realized I was on Klonopin, they switched. The Ativan worked better, but K helped a little, too.

FWIW, I'd rather be drowsy and wiped out even the following day than sick to my stomach. It is a sucky trade off, but it is the one I'd make.

Thank you Indigo and Stacia. Perhaps they can just give him a smaller amount. I don't know why my SIL was so freaked out, he was sleep deprived as it was and he definitely needed the sleep.

Archived