CrazyBoards.org

Non stimulant ADHD meds?

So far I can't seem to tolerate the "crash" from the stimulants I have tried. In the evening I get super anxious, and my moods and thoughts get all messed up.

In a previous visit with my pdoc, she said that if I kept having trouble, there were two ADHD drugs that were "24 hours" and didn't have a crash like that.

I assume one of them is Strattera. What might be the other one she is thinking of? Maybe Wellbutrin? Is that considered an ADHD drug?

Are there any other options if I can't tolerate stimulants?

I have another pdoc visit coming up, and want to be better prepared for my conversation.

Thanks!

There's clonidine, as well. I think the brand name is intuniv.

Hmm... when looking that up, I see guanfacine (Intuniv), and clonidine (Catapres)? Are they both used for ADHD?

Not sure I could take either of these since I have low blood pressure?

In a previous visit with my pdoc, she said that if I kept having trouble, there were two ADHD drugs that were "24 hours" and didn't have a crash like that.

I assume one of them is Strattera. What might be the other one she is thinking of? Maybe Wellbutrin? Is that considered an ADHD drug?

Actually Strattera isn't an Amphetamine like the adderall and ritalin. Nor is Wellbutrin, which is used off-label for ADHD. So neither of these will cause a crash. She's probably talking about Vyvanse (a long-term adderall) or Metadate/Concerta (a ritalin derivative).

Actually Strattera isn't an Amphetamine like the adderall and ritalin. Nor is Wellbutrin, which is used off-label for ADHD. So neither of these will cause a crash. She's probably talking about Vyvanse (a long-term adderall) or Metadate/Concerta (a ritalin derivative).

Sorry if I was not clear. She meant drugs used for ADHD, but not necessarily stimulants. I am pretty sure that she meant Strattera for one of them since she had mentioned that one before. Just don't know what the other one was!

My understanding is that Vyvanse and Concerta are extended release but not 24 hours (although I think Concerta is next on her list to try on me, I hope it does not make me crazy like Focalin XR did this week...)

Intuniv (which makes me think of Intuit and Turbo Tax and my flicking taxes) is Tenex or Guanfacine. An off-label use is for ADHD.

Clonidine has FDA approval for treating ADHD in kids. I take this for high blood pressure. It is short acting and a very sedating med. The stuff makes me drowsy at night and I'm more or less immune to sleep meds.

Ah, now that I look at pubmed I see that clonidine is taken several times a day. That does sound short acting. I assume you don't get any anti-ADHD action from it, Stacia? (Especially if you take it at bedtime... unless you are reading in bed like I do!)

Intuniv is a long-acting formulation of guanfacine and is specifically marketed for managing ADHD symptoms

Is once a day dosing of Intuniv supposed to work on ADHD symptoms all the time, or just part of the day? (Or anywhere I can find more info on this and other questions about its use for ADHD?)

Ah, now that I look at pubmed I see that clonidine is taken several times a day. That does sound short acting. I assume you don't get any anti-ADHD action from it, Stacia? (Especially if you take it at bedtime... unless you are reading in bed like I do!)

I take it in the morning, too. In the past, I've taken more and three times a day. I don't necessarily feel more attentive, but maybe there's a bit of difference that gets lost in the added sedation.

I think response is person specific. Most all psych meds are that way. You'll have to give it a go to know if it works for you. Personally, though, I'd try a longer acting med. Strattera might be the place to start.?

Intuniv (which makes me think of Intuit and Turbo Tax and my flicking taxes) is Tenex or Guanfacine. An off-label use is for ADHD.

Clonidine has FDA approval for treating ADHD in kids. I take this for high blood pressure. It is short acting and a very sedating med. The stuff makes me drowsy at night and I'm more or less immune to sleep meds.

Oh cool. Thanks. That makes intuniv seem like more of a viable possibility for me, should the need arise.

I understand that the crash from amphetamines is not usually as nasty as from methylphenidate (Ritalin, etc.). Certainly it has seemed that way to me. It may also help to take a little bit of the stuff at intervals through the day. I even take just a bit at night, because the rebound is bad for sleep.

• 3 months later...

I have been on on Ritalin, Wellbutrin and Intuniv (Guanfacine) as well as Strattera. My vague understanding was that Intuniv helped more with the hyperactive part than the other parts of ADHD, but I'm not sure. I think it was originally made as a blood pressure med,but was found to have better calming effects.

With respect to the fact that everyone responds to different meds differently, I can only share my experience with these three:

Ritalin made me tired, depressed, anxious.

Wellbutrin also made me depressed and anxious, and to my friends made me look like an escaped mad man

Intuniv, as far as I could see, did absolutely nothing. I didn't stay on it too long.

Strattera was starting to work for me, but then I switched doctors and they tried me on another stimulant first. every doctor does things their way. He put me on Vyvanse though and it is starting to work. I would like to try Strattera again in the future however.

If the vyvanse is working, and not creating any problematic side effects, I wouldn't be in a big hurry to retry Straterra. If the med you're on is working, why on earth would you want to mess with that?

Admittedly, I may be especially negative about retrying straterra because it made me completely batshit crazy, but still.

It's fairly common to mix Strattera with a stimulant FWIW. It's my pdoc's opinion that it works better as an adjunct to a stimulant rather than a replacement for one.

Good deal. I was wondering about that.

Archived