CrazyBoards.org

prickly, hypersensitive?

ok, to start off, i'm BP I, so it may be related.

basically, it's an over stimulation to things, primarily touch... if i get touched on one side of my body i have to touch the other side symmetrically (but not really symmetrically, MY symmetrically - what feels right to me) sometimes rubbing the places to make the awful sensation i get to go away. if i touch something i have to touch it with my other had and hit the object symmetrically or "right."

in addition, i get "itching" (not really, but that's as close as i can explain them) all over that make me scratch them, but then of course i have to touch the other side of my body and then another itch, etc., etc.

everything bothers me. my husband can't touch me, the blankets bother me because they are wrinkled, when it gets really bad i can't even walk because there are too many cracks in the sidewalk for me to step over evenly or "right."

coinciding with this is being overstimulated by everything in general. i used to spend late nights at the studio in college hiding under a table in the computer labs because just existing was too much. music, dark, and weighted things (lots of heavy blankets) help calm it, but it's still there.

wellbutrin made this come out nasty in me. i get it all the time on my own, but this last time was definitely wellbutrin as it subsided almost immediately after stopping.

i originally thought this was OCD related, but there are no obsessions and these aren't rituals. it's just a frantic effort to make everything "right" in the sensory sense. i'm beginning to think it's something that comes out when i'm on the more manicy side of things or at least depressed or manic, though manic is the top contender).

does anyone else have anything like this? it's so hard to describe. my pdoc called it "prickly," which fits a bit, but not quite...

thanks!

It is not unusual to have OCD traits when hypo/manic. Same with physical sensitivities.

I'm not the least OCD but when I get hypo/manic, I have symptoms. Mine are mostly repetition, repeating short phrases three times, washing my hands, checking what I just did. It's not extreme but enough to drive me nuts that I can't stop without it driving me nuts. Things like the sidewalk crack avoidance become difficult to not do. I also can become super sensitive to light in particular, less so to sound and touch.

If this is something you do not have all the time and your sleep is down or your energy up, you need to call you doc. The 2mg Risperdal may not be enough.

It is not unusual to have OCD traits when hypo/manic. Same with physical sensitivities.

I'm not the least OCD but when I get hypo/manic, I have symptoms. Mine are mostly repetition, repeating short phrases three times, washing my hands, checking what I just did. It's not extreme but enough to drive me nuts that I can't stop without it driving me nuts. Things like the sidewalk crack avoidance become difficult to not do. I also can become super sensitive to light in particular, less so to sound and touch.

If this is something you do not have all the time and your sleep is down or your energy up, you need to call you doc. The 2mg Risperdal may not be enough.

i had 2 weeks off after the wellbutrin to "clear my system" then added the risperdone when i started getting paranoid. i didn't have "prickly" stuff then, but it seems to have kept it at bay, though it's creeping back up again in the past few days (hence this post). i just don't know how to explain it properly to my pdoc.

If I'm understanding your right, you did a fine job of explaining. It's actually best if you don't talk to your doc with a lot of jargon or technical words. Instead, just explain your experience.

How long have you been on the Risperdal?

heh, i'm not looking for jargon, just a way to speak clearly. i guess i'm better at writing it than talking because i'm usually all garbled. though last time i was in there my head was garbled too so i'm sure that didn't help.

i've been on the risperdal for a week. not really time enough to tell a lot...

Archived