CrazyBoards.org

Lightbox timing

tryp

So I'm doing my lightbox for 30 minutes every morning at around 8-8:30 AM. And I feel passable for most of the day and then around 2 or 3 PM I nosedive.

Is there any time changes I can do to fight this? Like using it later in the day?

I don't know if I want to use it for longer because it's messing up my sleep.

I'd try later in the day the very limited information I can remember is that it won't mess up your sleep. Don't know if it owuld ofset suicidal thoughts but it certainly couldn't hurt to try it for awhile and see if it helps. Anna

Tryp:

I left you a long-winded message on your blog, but I'll repeat myself here too.

Did you start right out with 30 minutes a day? I could have sworn I read that you need to start up slowly with it - like 5-10 minutes and then go from there to a maximum of 30 minutes. And that it should be between the times of 6 a.m. and 8 a.m.

I know for me it made me a bit hyper when I was doing day after day of 30 minutes each. So I lowered it to around 15 minutes and have been staying there ever since, even purposefully skipping a day or two here and there. I think it can be stimulating for some people which is why they want you to start with only a few minutes a day.

Just a thought.....

T

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up having to stop it anyway - the agitation was just too bad. On to mood stabilizers!

I don't know for sure, but maybe it would also help to increase the brightness of the lights you normally have on during the day? Extra task lighting while studying, working, or cooking or such.

• 3 months later...

My sleep doctor said I could use it all day until about 5-6 p.m. Makes sense because you could be outside all day so you would be exposed to at least that lux until the sun went down.

My psych said for maximum sleep clock effect to use it at about 5:30 a.m., when the sun comes up in the summer. He said the later in the day you start using it, the longer you have to use it for it to affect your sleep. Maybe not using it until noon would help?

Archived