CrazyBoards.org

Is this a social phobia?

Ok. here is something that bothers me that I havent really told my pdoc about because I thought it was part of my paranoid skitzo. I only leave the appartment about 4 times a month - one for my two drs visits. wish they would visit me instead of me visiting them even then I might not want them in my place. I can only seem to let a select few into my appartment.

This all started after I ended up suddenly homeless and had to live in the shelter system although I've had parania from my parinoid skitzo symptoms but nothing like this that has developed over the last few years. Most of my human contact is over the internet and I also order things from the internet. I love overstock.com, and I order even things like toothpaste and toilet paper online at times when my boyfriend isnt around because of various things.

had to do this when he ended up in jail for a while. Going to the grocery store was hell. I just dont like to leave the afety of my little spot in this big and scary world outside. Often I feel like the people outside my space are talking about me or laughing at me when I go places. I also stress alot about being in the car (bad accident caused this) and although I know very well how to drive I find it impossible because I get so nervous that my hands are shaking too much to drive and i get stuck somewhere. I gave it up altogether.

I used to take xanex to calm me down so I could go out but when I had to change docs he took it away from me cold turky. Now I have to dope myself with the Lortab (opiod pain meds) to get to my drs appointment 30 miles away - riding in a car makes me feel awful, too - like i'm about to be killed. When I freak out in the car because there is a white car on the road its really hard on my boyfriend because I am reacting and he's trying to concentrate on driving.

I am a total reculse. Me and my kitties keep each other company and we have alot of very soothing kitty time. I know I can trust my kitties. Even though I have a boyfriend living with me I have to have a seperate room as a haven when I star to feel like I am too crowded - only 3 of us live here and only one of my son's friends are allowed in the appartment. My space is desighned for total comfort - special recliner that I got - ordered from Relax the Back and delivered at home.

On the other hand deep inside I feel a need for human contack. I am not a machine.

Thats the thing that bothers me - see how much ranting I've done on this page in 2 days. I crave it but cant have real friends in real life. I feel so isolated at times. I feel I am trapped in this prision and cant get out. I have wondered if I would be considered homebound so the nurse could come to me from home health services and call in to my Dr to find out what he wants me to do and all. It took me alot to let the nurse in before because I get so nervous about people invading my place.

Is this the type of problem ya'll have? or do you think its just paranoid skizo?

I'm far from an expert, but to me, it sounds more like paranoia than social phobia. I guess it depends somewhat on how stable you are overall.

I'm not at all sure the anxiety about driving is connected to the feeling that others are talking about you, or laughing at you. A bad car accident can make anyone anxious to drive.

I don't really understand why you haven't talked to your doctor about this? He"d be in the best position to help you figure out what's going on. If it is paranoia, then you'll probably need a med tweak to resolve it. If not, then you'll need to start exploring treatment options for social anxiety, most likely a combination of meds and therapy.

It sounds like a bad place you're in right now. I really hope you'll talk to your doctor about it, and begin taking steps to make things better, whatever exactly the cause is.

I'm far from an expert, but to me, it sounds more like paranoia than social phobia. I guess it depends somewhat on how stable you are overall.

I'm not at all sure the anxiety about driving is connected to the feeling that others are talking about you, or laughing at you. A bad car accident can make anyone anxious to drive.

I don't really understand why you haven't talked to your doctor about this? He"d be in the best position to help you figure out what's going on. If it is paranoia, then you'll probably need a med tweak to resolve it. If not, then you'll need to start exploring treatment options for social anxiety, most likely a combination of meds and therapy.

It sounds like a bad place you're in right now. I really hope you'll talk to your doctor about it, and begin taking steps to make things better, whatever exactly the cause is.

Mostly I havent talked to my dr because its been in the past something that didnt bother me much at all. I felt 'at home' in this place and that peopl eoutside it were often bad. I've had a few bad situations outside like rape and being held up and stuff.

Thanks for the input.

Guest Vapourware

I agree also that you should talk to your doctor about this, because if he doesn't know then he obviously can't help you. It doesn't matter if it's from your schizophrenia or if it's something else, but you need to discuss it with your doctor. You may need a med tweak or extra therapy, or both.

That being said, some of what you said - about thinking people are laughing at you and talking about you - can be either paranoia or anxiety. I think the rule of thumb is whether you think they are malevolent or not.

Archived