CrazyBoards.org

Ok, I really have no cause for complaint. My meds are working well, no real side effects, all good. And seroquel is the thing that's made a huge difference, my brain loves it.

Ordinarily, the sedation effect is a big plus for me. Sleep has always been a challenge, and Seroquel's the only thing that's ever consistently worked to make me sleep. But, occasionally, if I'm driving, or studying, or working on a paper, or just whatever, I'd really like to be able to stay up all night. Not talking about some crazed, mania fueled, days without sleep thing, just here and there, now and then. Alas, Seroquel makes that pretty much impossible. Skipping it for a night is just not a viable option, neither is switching to another AAP. I've taken them all, except for saphris amd fanapt, and seroquel's the one for me.

I am wondering about seroquel XR. I took it for a little while, and didn't like that it didn't help me sleep. But I'm wondering about the possibility of taking it just when I want to be able to stay up, and the regular version the rest of the time. Anyone tried that?

I'm guessing not, because this is a ridiculous question, but, like I said, asking it anyway.

I haven't tried it but I bet it might work although you'd be fucking your sleep which you really don't want to do in bp dx.

You could also end up feeling majorly sedated for like, 24 hours, so if you were studying for a big test or something.... try it out first.

Anna

That is an excellent point. I should definitely do some kind of test run.

No intention of making a bad habit of all nighters. Swear. I just kind of miss having the option, you know?

And just for the record, my pdoc is fine with my doing this. I think she thinks it's kind of weird, but whatever.

Sylvan, it's not that skipping a night induces crazy, it's the whole physically feeling like crap thing. You know, the usual vaguely fluish, tired, headachey type thing.

Staying up all night is really a bad idea if you're BPI. It can fuck up your mood for the next month. Keeping your sleep/wake schedule regular, down to the hour, can make a big difference in your mood stability. Any med that forces you onto a regular sleep/wake schedule is a good thing.

Syl, it's not the going without sleep that icks me out. It's the seroquel skipping that does it.

VE, this I know, in theory. In practice, sleep schedule has never really been a stabilizing factor for me. For me, diet and excercise, meditation practice, keeping the drinking minimal, and social engagement, are the big things. But sleep, or the lack thereof, can absolutely be a big thing for a lot of people with BP, so no one should follow my bad example on this, and certainly not without talking to the pdoc.

Archived