CrazyBoards.org

Music, how fast or slow it sounds

Ok, so here it is. Not been here for a while, but such is my life. Sorry all, but honestly I've wished I could be. Yet another of my failings.

I wondered, after experiencing this a few times, if anyone else has found that music SOUNDS different when your mood changes.

I found that for me, sometimes it sounds like it's running slower than other times, not like if it's literally slower cos the vocals sound at the same pitch, but just the music plays slower. Like the vocals are hitting the same notes, along with the rest of the music, just that they are more stretched out, if that makes sense. I was just wondering if that's my insanity or a consequence of the change in perceived speed of my brain. You know how your brain seems to run at a different speed than the rest of the world?

Maybe it's just me. But that's why I'm posting this, cos I'd love to know if it's me or a symptom.

Love to all x

OH YES, it is a symptom. food and also smells change for me it is a symtom of early psychosis for me. Or mania. Or whatnot.

Also, well known fact that depressed folks don't like the taste of food, often, which may be why appetite may be lost. Mr. A says everything tastes kinda yukky to him right now....

anna

To me, it doesn't sound slow or fast, but if I am in a bad way and can't find music that matches the mood in my head (too fast, too slow, too damned happy lol) then that irritates the heck out of me. I can't even tell you just how much. I get very very impatient, and that makes me want to snap off the (to me stupid or sloooow) people's heads.

I don't eat as much when I'm manic and pig out when depressed. I guess it's an effort to make myself feel better.

The topic interests me because I have thought my hearing to be more acute during mania. And, at least one other person has experienced the same thing. (Wisdom, Madness and Folly by John Custance)

But there are discussions on the web about music seeming faster or slower during exercise (slower), at night (faster) or when tired (faster).

I don't think I'd get too bent out of shape about it unless it's something extreme. Like Frank Sinatra sounding like Alvin the Chipmunk to your ears only. I am assuming with this reply that you know what your symptoms are. I mean, after my first episode, I damn well knew when I was getting sick. Except for the time I was drinking too hard . . . huge mistake.

The topic interests me because I have thought my hearing to be more acute during mania. And, at least one other person has experienced the same thing. (Wisdom, Madness and Folly by John Custance)

But there are discussions on the web about music seeming faster or slower during exercise (slower), at night (faster) or when tired (faster).

I don't think I'd get too bent out of shape about it unless it's something extreme. Like Frank Sinatra sounding like Alvin the Chipmunk to your ears only. I am assuming with this reply that you know what your symptoms are. I mean, after my first episode, I damn well knew when I was getting sick. Except for the time I was drinking too hard . . . huge mistake.

The Alvin remark is funny.

Actually, lack of introspection is a symptom of bipolar. It is perhaps unrealistic to expect someone to recognize all symptoms when they first start having edpisodes.

Yeah, I hear you Stacia, and I don't disagree. Being overly introspective can be a problem too. I certainly am not trying to minimize anyone's personal experiences. All I have to offer is mine.

BTW, Alvin sux. I never thought the Chipmunks were funny.

Short answer? Most definitely.....tho music often seems more strident and harsh when depressed and more real speed and appropriate when manic, or hypomanic or normal ...........when DP hits , even insturmental music can seem irritating and harsh.........

sigh

peace

You're right, Dr. Faustus.

Let me see if I can back down from my original post on the subject. I got sidetracked because the thread got me thinking about the science of why music might sound faster at different times. And I was already thinking about the acuity of the hearing sense in mania. Music is clearly the most emotive art form.

Music is clearly the most effective art form? That's just a ridiculous statement. Different people respnd differently to different art forms.

It seems to take most people quite a while to sort out their symptoms and warning signs. If you actually knew all of your after your first episode, you were extremely lucky. Although, I have ro tell you, the kinds of trains of thought you're describing here are sounding a little manic to me.

Mrs.mas, if something isn't causing you distress, then the only real value in labelling it a symptom, or not one, is the ability it gives you to know, and use, it as a warning sign. Since you know this comes along with your mood episodes, that seems like enough to me.

SashaSue,

I said emotive, not effective, although in talking about art maybe the terms are roughly the same (?). It was just an opinion, however ridiculous you may find it. And it may very well be a ridiculous statement for all I know. (Perhaps I will add to my signature that I am not an expert in anything and that everything I say here is just an opinion. I am just getting used to using the board.)

So anyway, early warning signals/symptoms can indeed be tricky (again, in my opinion). And, knowing one's own is important.

Music doesn't slow or speed up for me, but my emotional response to it gets distorted.For example, when I'm really down, I can only listen to incredibly depressing music. Not angry, but music that is almost beautiful in how sad it is. I need to see the beauty in sadness when I get to that point. Anything upbeat I absolutely cannot listen to, it will just drive me up a wall.

Good discussion, tho for the first time in memory, I am very offended by someone calling someone's statement about art 'ridiculous'..........and thats all I have to say on this one.......It was offensive to WIll, the Original Topic and insulting across the board in terms of tone and attitude. Doesn't sound like a misread, but rather a manic and borderline delusionary post. No one asked in this thead for diagnosis or counseling. If this is me being a bigger asshole than a mod ? So be it...... I for one think an apology or explanation is due on this one.....

peace

And I was already thinking about the acuity of the hearing sense in mania. Music is clearly the most emotive art form.

Music is clearly the most effective art form? That's just a ridiculous statement. Different people respnd differently to different art forms.

Aside from the fact that you confused "effective" and "emotive", I'm a little confused about how you can call someone else's opinion about art "ridiculous" and then, in the very next sentence, say that people don't all experience art the same way.

When I am having a mixed episode, music winds me up. It just feels like major sensory overload. But at the same time, I am attracted to it: I start making "Genius" iTunes lists, and cruising Youtube. I tend to find a new musician to fixate on pretty much yearly, so the current fixation is on heavy rotation as well.

For me, the attraction of music is partly about the shortness of my attention span in episodes, all of which are mixed.

Honestly, I'm not really sure how I use music in episodes. I think I use it to try and push the mood in the opposite direction. But since I don't always know for sure if I'm traveling up or down (thanks Jimi), that's debatable. The tonal quality has to be good, but the lyrics are also important. I'm also not sure if my taste can be narrowed to a genre, but my daughter says she thinks it's all basically cowboy music.

Archived