CrazyBoards.org

Seasonal Mood Changes.

I am one of those people, it seems like without a doubt has a manic episode every April or May and a depressive episode November or December.

Just a seasonal thing. I have ups and downs in between when the meds aren't working.

Right now, my med combo doesn't really include a mood stabilizer. I haven't been on one for a long time.

The only thing I would really think of adding is Lyrica, because the only reason I went off it is because insurance wouldn't pay. But it would be for chronic pain.

My current meds are Paxil 30mg, Nortriptyline 75mg, Strattera 80mg, Adderall XR 10mg BID (which will probably increase and add a IR at night after I see pdoc end of feb), and Klonopin 1mg HS, 1mg TID PRN

The only time I have escaped spring without even a hypomanic episode was when I was on 30mg of haldol and zombified beyond belief. Like totally dead to everything.

I haven't really read astonishing reviews that point to Lyrica as a great mood stabilizer, but its in the same class as a lot of the others, and so I thought maybe it would help.

My fibro doc told me if I want to try and go back on it, to make an appointment and come in. She'll do it again.

I'm going to wait until I see my new neuro and get his/her opinion as well. My pdoc I have discussed briefly about this. While he wouldn't be too thrilled about adding another med to the mix, less pain = less depression for me, and if it had the possibility of curbing a manic episode in the spring, and even the depressive episode in the early winter, it'd be worth it.

Other than the neuro opinion, its kinda up to me. Thoughts?

(non psych meds: levothyroxin, levsin, omeprazole, ranitidine, loratidine, singulair, flonase, pulmicort, Ortho-Cyclen (Mononessa), PRN Composine, PRN Albuterol, PRN Migranal, PRN Mirilax, PRN Percocet)

I'm not an expert on half of those meds (Mostly because they're not psych meds), but seasonal affective disorder affects *almost* everyone to *some* degree.

Before my seizure issues, I would just up my wellbutrin in the winter and lower it in the spring. If you're not too depressed now, you might look into a little PRN seroquel in the spring as you get adjusted to it. I take like 25mg during the day if I get too speedy.

Also, exercise and a lightbox help during the winter too. I do that... it's not a complete solution, just part of a complete breakfast, hehe ;)

Good luck.

Allergic to Seroquel and Abilify and Cogentin.

And I am still depressed. And still not focusing as I'd like. So Adderall will probably be upped and supplemented some nights with an IR.

I have a PRN of haldol incase I get really speedy and it is a weekend or holiday, so I don't have to go to the psych ER.

But if its a day pdoc is in office he'd rather have me call and try to get in.

That's probably your best bet... the pdoc, to review your meds and moods. It's going to be really hard for us to offer much advice on this forum because it's such a complicated mix.

I do recommend the lightbox though... or if you can't afford one of those special ones, get some daylight-spectrum CFL bulbs, they always make me feel better.

I would just point out that SAD lights can be activating. Most of my life, my bipolar illness has presented as depression, but in the last decade, I have been having only mixed, hypo-manic, and very mild manic episodes. Since that started, the light has started making me hypomanic really pretty quickly, and I have tried this three winters, so it is pretty consistent, and I am pretty sure it is the light. This year I didn't use it, and didn't get hypomanic.

The only reason I mention this is because I get "high" in the spring too. This isn't a good enough reason not to try it, I am just saying keep an eye on yourself.

crt, I've noticed the same thing... but I tend to go overboard one way or the other anyway. I'm always tempted by the idea that I'd rather be manic than depressed... but that's not always a good thing.

Archived