CrazyBoards.org

Hirschsprung's disease and absorption rate.

The safest course of action is to speak with your surgeon and the physician(s) who are prescribing medication for you. I have heard that a megacolon raises many questions about absorption of not only medications but nutrients. Thus, from a completely unscientific POV, it seems that resectioning the bowel would improve absorption. However, I am not a gastroenterologist, merely a crazy on the WWW.

Edited for an inability to proofread: on and only ain't even close.

I imagine it depends on where different meds are absorbed, but I don't really know.

This is something you really need to talk to your doctors about. The doc who diagnosed and called for the surgery should have good general advice. Depending on what she says, you might still need to ask the docs prescribing individual meds.

Well I had the surgery when I was a month old. I have always had mild to moderate digestion issue, but nothing I couldn't deal with. But then my pdoc prescribed Vyvanse instead of Adderall. It literally did nothing, I was wondering if I could be immune or something. I took it for two whole months trying to see if it was a length of time thing or just it not working....

He was explaining to me that the body absorbed and converted it and it hit me, if this was being absorbed by my intestine, well, I don't have as much as your average person so....

Got an appointment with my regular doctor to see if there is any way to tell how much is missing or how it would affect me. Just curious if anyone had any experience with it or something like Celiac's and meds.

Thanks,

Z.

vyvanse is converted into dexamphetamine when its in the body, by removing the l-lysine thats attached to it. I cant find anything specific on where in the GI tract this occurs. If it is in the colon, a shorter length may mean you have less of the active drug available.

Another concern is stomach acidity. Amphetamine absorption drops when the contents of the stomach are excessively acidic.

Did you respond well to an equivalent dose of amphetamine? Thats what Id consider if it was me, anyhow.

Archived