CrazyBoards.org

The name's Sei

Hi, my name's Sei. Can't really tell you much with what's wrong with me based on what my doctors tell me. They say I'm depressed and want to give me pills, but I know that I can emotionally shut down and am reclusive. I jump at shadows that are at the corners of my vision and I don't sleep much anymore. So I paint, draw, exercise when there aren't alot of people at the gym, and study new things to occupy my time. Found this place to see if there are more resclusive people out there, and to help decide if I should take doctor suggestions to take anti dep. pills.

welcome, no one can make that call for you. you sound pretty reclusive though..... Have you considered maybe trying the pills for a specified period of time, to see if life improves, then going from there, though? It doesn't have to be forever if you find you don't like them or they make you worse.

Hope cb is a good support for you, whatever you decide.

Anna

Hi, my name's Sei. Can't really tell you much with what's wrong with me based on what my doctors tell me. They say I'm depressed and want to give me pills, Found this place to see if there are more resclusive people out there, and to help decide if I should take doctor suggestions to take anti dep. pills.

First, welcome :)

These are qualifications for clinical depression [you need 5 or more]:

Depressed mood most of the day, nearly every day

Markedly diminished interest or pleasure in all, or almost all, activities most of the day, nearly every day

Insomnia or hypersomnia

Psychomotor agitation or retardation nearly every day

Fatigue or loss of energy

Feelings of worthlessness or excessive or inappropriate guilt

Diminished ability to think or concentrate or indecisiveness

Recurrent thoughts of death, recurrent suicidal ideation without a specific plan, suicidal ideation with a plan, or a suicide attempt

If this fits your situation, you should believe what the doctor is telling you because you do have depression. Taking medication is entirely up to you, but personally I've found it to be a life-saver and definitely worth a try.

...Found this place to see if there are more resclusive people out there, and to help decide if I should take doctor suggestions to take anti dep. pills.

<Puts hand up>

Welcome, fellow recluse. Asperger's syndrome in my case, with a major side order of depressive illness, improving in this last year, with new meds.

I can do social when I have to, or when I think the effort could be worthwhile.

I had a long career in optometry and, while it's not certain, I strongly suspect those peripheral shadows would vanish with better sleep.

They are a classic fatigue phenomenon.

Take advice from medical professionals who have actually met you, know you... but the sleep shortage may just be the big thing.

And a sleeping tablet for a while, to see, wouldn't be a terribly drastic move.

(just my thoughts: no authority implied)

Chris.

Hey thanks you all. I'll wait for my insurance to kick in for i can purchase without burning a hole in my wallet. As for sleep, I'll been sleeping five hours or less everyday for the last almost two years now. I crash out every other week but i got used to it. The sleeping pills did work for a bit but i found that they gave me huge headaches

HI Sei,

I also have depression (bipolar, but more depression than mania these days) and anxiety (although that is much better than when I was young). I also wanted to say hi because I also like to draw and exercise is one of my main forms of anti-depressant! I love that exercise helps me sleep and lifts my mood. If your depression or anxiety or interfering with your life, I would say why not try the meds. You are also doing other things in your life that may help, such as exercising and art. You may not have to be on them forever, which is often the fear. I know there is often a lot of trial and error. I went through it too, but to be on good meds now has made a world of difference. You can give them a shot and if they aren't for you say good by to the meds.

Dawn

Archived