CrazyBoards.org

is this dissociation?

When I have certain tasks to do, such as taking a test, I feel like I can't do it myself until "another person" comes to do it. Luckily that person usually shows up when needed.

Also if I'm giving a lecture or presentation, it has happened that "another person" shows up to do that too. In this case my subjective experience is that I listen to the person giving the talk and have completely separate thoughts from that person at the time. These are usually my best talks by the way.

Just what I need, another disorder! Phooey.

Is something like that supposed to get treated? How? Does it affect other stuff? Can I just ignore it?

I hesitate to say anything to Pdoc... She was just telling me today how complicated I am, and how hard I make her work. (She said this in a nice way, but still.)

Does it bother you? Is it causing a problem in your everyday functioning?

They key aspect of any psych disorder is that it does, in fact, inhibit one's ability to function normally.

What you're describing certainly sounds like dissociative symptoms, but if they're not bothering you or impairing your ability to function, I don't see any reason you'd need to "fix" them. Everyone dissociates to some extent--ever drive somewhere familiar on "autopilot" and have only a vague memory of the trip? That's dissociation on the function end of the spectrum. On the dysfunctional end, you have symptoms like dissociative shutdown and lost time. If the symptoms are bothering you, by all means talk to one of your treaters about it...but if it's not bothersome, try not to stress yourself out about it.

Well, maybe it interferes with functioning. It would be nice to have those capabilities present at other times, not just when that "other person" is there. It makes me confused and unsure about my own abilities. I don't know if I can do certain things "by myself" or not. What if that "person" doesn't show up to help me when I need him/her?

Thanks very much for the replies, everyone. I am going to have to think about this some more. It is a trippy thought.

I hesitate to say anything to Pdoc... She was just telling me today how complicated I am, and how hard I make her work. (She said this in a nice way, but still.)

If she can't handle your treatment, perhaps you shouldn't have her as a pdoc. You shouldn't be afraid to bring up something that is relevant to your case.

Think some more, but dissociation is more of a tdoc issue than a pdoc issue to any degree, in my opinion. therapy strategies to help you not dissociate can be extremely effective and often med is not needed, unless you dissociate due to severe, untreated anxeity or something....

we do all dissociate to a degree which is what mindfulness is all about. It's amazing the amount of stuff I do on autopilot, really. This is why I love yoga and stuff. And eating whilst NOT reading or doing anything else, and as much as possible, being present to myself. this is the only life I have....

Do think it over, and maybe bring up to tdoc, if you have one. If you do not, this would be a perfectly appropriate Tdoc issue and a reason to get one, i would think.

Anna

If she can't handle your treatment, perhaps you shouldn't have her as a pdoc. You shouldn't be afraid to bring up something that is relevant to your case.

Sorry, maybe that sounded wrong. My pdoc specializes in complicated cases, other pdocs recommend patients to her for that. She likes that about me. It's just hard to fit all of my stuff into the limited time that we have, so I try to prioritize.

Think some more, but dissociation is more of a tdoc issue than a pdoc issue to any degree, in my opinion. therapy strategies to help you not dissociate can be extremely effective and often med is not needed, unless you dissociate due to severe, untreated anxeity or something....

OK. I do not yet have a tdoc, but my pdoc is doing some matchmaking for me. It is quite possible that it has to do with anxiety, because the situations described above are typical anxiety-producing ones. Thank you!

Archived