CrazyBoards.org

Any harm going on and off benzos

I take benzos. They help. They help with both anxiety and depression for me.

However, I've noticed after taking a benzo for about month or more on a regular basis I become a weeping mess. I'll cry for practically no reason.

I notice when I stop the benzo I feel better for a bit, and then after a few days to a week, my anxiety returns along with depression.

So I was wondering if it's dangerous to go on and off a benzo or if anyone has done this. For me it seems to work better that way. However I'm concerned if this can lead to any worsening of my issues.

I don't take a lot of it to begin with. However even in small dosages the drug seems to help a lot with my depression.

Yes, you may find an intial mood brightening due to less anxeity then the longer term depressants kicking in.

The weepy mess could also be from lowered inhibitions, however.

I don't think there's anything dangerous about going on/off but there may be a more effective med or combo out there for you. Have you talked to your docs aobut that?

Anna

Yes I'm on SNRI too

I'm concerned if there's going to be psychological issues doing this down the line.

I talk to my doctor but when it comes to talking about negative side effects I don't get a lot of good info from docs. They seem to have a "drugs can do no wrong" attitude.

been on 'em for 25 years and they have never-ever once been a problem-none whatsoever. I do not take them daily-I always take breaks from them sometimes just a few days and sometimes a week. The longest I will take without a break is about a little more than a week and then I like to quit them for several days just to be sure I'm not developing dependence. If I needed them all the time i would take them all the time and to hell with the dependence, but cause I don't always need em I don't want to develop dependence.

When I am on them for 8 days or so feel just fine. But can't speak to a month duration cause i never did it. I also try to minimize dosages-very rarely do I take more than 1.5 mg ativan in a day and usually only .5 mg-1 mg.

You did not mention dosage-only duration. I would think dosage could be a significant factor-the higher it is the more likely you could develop side-effects-of course-that is true of any drug.

It's fine to take them on an as-needed basis as long as the dose is low and the duration of each use is small :). Some people do take them long-term, or off and on, but that is not officially recommended due to the habit-forming nature.

it really is case by case, guys. I was addicted to ETOH and still have taken benzos for quite long periods, by now, and had no problems tapering off. I do taper, it's fine, and dont' get many w/d sx. I actually find a benzo taper WAY EASIER than say, a seroquel taper which i am doing right now.

So remember, it's case by case. My husband is so sensitive to the benzos that he wakes up early feeling achy and needing klonpin. his taper may be a bit harder than mine. We are all sensitive to different things, and need to do it differently. Long term (I'm talking 4-5 months of daily use here) has never been a weaning problem provided my sx are then under control enough with my other meds to not cause return of mania sx.

I use klonpin to control mania along with a lot of other things. It really is what works best for me and I consider it part of my arsenal to stay out of hospital these days. If I had to taper seroquel without the benzos on board, I think I would be in the hospital at this point.

Once quel is good and done, me and p doc will work on getting rid of benzos provided i'm stable.

Please remember all this as you make your decisions, as benzos really are good meds in many situations for a lot of folks. i used to have a totally unnecessary benzo prejudice and actually wish i had them in my "aresenal" a whole long time ago, to be frank. It was the benzo freaks who went around saying how bad they were that scared me off.

Anna

Archived