CrazyBoards.org

any experience with risperdol? ... anybody?

haha, no, i'm just kidding.

i'm funny.

but i'm about ready to start taking my second go-around with antipsychotics, like, legit ones.

i'm on 200mg of topamax daily and 50mg of zoloft-- 100mg of topamax in the morning with 50 zoloft, and 100mg of topamax at bedtime. i took depakote before, in sporadic intervals, but it didn't yield the desired results obviously. so, i was wondering--

--does anybody have any experience with risperdol?

any good and any bad would be much appreciated so i can draw my own conclusions from this. thank you very much!<3

i was on risperdal for awhile. I liked it, as far as APs go. It was great for the mood stuff for me, and also really helped with what i call my squirrely thoughts, sort of psychosis like, anxiety thoughts, any flavor of mild to severe thought disorder.

It really didn't work well for sleep for me, so I didn't stay on it, in favor of being on seroquel instead, although i took both for a time.

At too high a dose, (over 3 mg) it completely took away any sexual desire or urge I even had. this was due to prolactin levels I believe, as I was also lactating.... dropped it to 1 m.g. and this side effect went away, as well as the numb from the waist down thing.

Anna

I agree with Anna. worked wonders with the "squirrelly" thoughts. ( i liked that definition) and kept the visuals away. I slept well but sometimes too well.

The lactation thing is what made my pdoc and I decide it was time to go off. Also had little or no sexual desire and had a really hard time reaching orgasm if I did at all.

I liked it for the way it kept the hallucies under control.

p

aw crap, i keep forgetting how to spell it. RISPERDAL not RISPERDOL-- i smack myself in the face.

i don't have hallucinations, so i think it'll help a lot with the squirrely thoughts as Anna put it. i like that.

lactating, yeah, that'll worry me a little bit but i'll only be taking 0.5mg starting tuesday. as for my sex drive, my libido is pretty much shot anyway unless i'm around a certain someone and she can help me with that, so there's not much to worry about unless it just brutally murders it completely. in which case, i'm royally fucked--

-- or maybe not so!

i wonder, though, are there any other antipsychotics that reduce the risk of sexual dysfunction? and... i wonder what the other risks of risperdal can be. i've done a little bit of research online and i've read about the side-effects on the pamphlet that came with the bottle. so i'm a little nervous, but not outright afraid.

I really like risperdal. It definitely calms the squirrels. I've been on it up to 3mg with no lactation. It is the only AAP that I've been able to take without significant side effects, and fortunately, I have no side effects except an elevated prolactin level that is not thru the roof.

Risperdal was recently added to my cocktail at my request. I really like this drug. I have practically no side effects from it, and I get an energy boost shortly after taking it. I don't have psychosis, so I can't talk about how it works for those symptoms, but it is a great drug. I don't think you have to worry about the prolactin SE at the dose you are starting with.

I like it. for the most part it keeps the paranoia and delusions at bay, and when they do seep through they aren't as severe and are almost passing in nature. I just had my dosage upped to the max because of some paranoia I was having that was basically not based at all in reality. haven't had much paranoia since.

my paranoia isn't so bad, but it is something that has an impact in my life. it's not so bad, but it's pretty damn annoying. annoying enough to have a dream, if it even was a dream, about my mom talking about me behind my back and then in turn get pretty torn up about it in the morning and suspect her of lying to me.

so christ, thank you guys so much. i'll still be taking opinions. OPINIONS, PLEEASE. arming myself with knowledge is a very good thing.

yes, it sounds like risperdal may be a drug to try for you.

I have heard little complaints about its efficacy, just occasional complaints about S.E.s some which can be bothersome enough to stop taking it, most notably the prolactin increase. But if you avoid that one, it can be great.

i find it more on teh activating than the sedating spectrum of AAPs, but not enough to be crazy making like abilify or geodon, and some people also find with the AD effect a notable calmness without sedation.

It is considered one of the more "broad spectrum" AAPs, I beelieve, although someone like aurochs would have to get into the crazy pharmocology of it, heh. But it's an excellent med for those on the psychotic SPECTRUM with beneficial mood effects, as well, in my opinion.

Next to my current love, saphris, it is the best AAP I have ever taken. I went off simply because I wasn't comfortable being on two AAPs and couldn't get rid of the quel at that point, whcih I find not nearly so effective for psychotic like sx at least at the dosage strength I could tolerate.

Anna

Archived