CrazyBoards.org

I think next time I see my p-doc, I'm going to talk to him about an antipsychotic, while I'm going through this particularly rough patch in my life. The main thing I'm concerned about is overall health - I know AAPs do some funky things to metabolism, triglyceride levels and insulin response. Since I'm genetically predisposed to diabetes, I already eat a sugar/starchy carb-conscious diet.

From my understanding most antipsychotics cause the body to use fat as the main fuel source, instead of sugar, which is what causes these health anomalies.

I'm just wondering if there have been any studies done on patients taking AAPs while maintaining a ketogenic diet, and if there was any health benefit seen.

Anyone heard of anything on the matter?

I do low carb and have lost a lot of weight on the drugs in my sig. I feel good and have gained some self confidence, I have always had low self esteem. My pdoc is the one that actually suggested trying low carb and she is happy with my results. I always used to be a carb junkie, pasta was the biggest food of choice, but after about two weeks of giving it up I began losing real weight and my mood has been stable. I don't know if I am in ketosis or not, I just watch the carbs, keep it under 50 a day. I am a little higher than most people doing low carb but I do a lot of lifting and have a hit of carbs post workout which is five days a week.

I felt so "physically" amazing on a ketogenic diet but I could not hold on to it because really I LOVE TO EAT.. sadly it triggered my OCD to the point if there was a potato in soup I would not eat it because some of the broth may have starch in it ...

low carb is great and you can turn any "diet" low carb

but you will also get plenty good nutrition if you eat from all the food groups... ketogenic diets limit (if you can eat it at all I was able to eat 1 cup of berries that was it or I was out of ketosis) for some even vegetables because your response varies ...I could not eat any grains

I am doing great now on a low carb but very balanced diet ..fingers crossed

I try to eat only whole foods ..as in the entire fruit or vegetable not juices ..and the entire grain not just the starchy part

low carb really is the way to go on AAPs and your body will thank you.

Anna

i can attest to this myself. i eat lots of carbs at my carb meal, but it still seems to work out as i am 'hitting" hyself with carbs only once a day.

Archived