CrazyBoards.org

30 years old, first "discussion board" EVER

Hello There;

Your first page said to introduce myself, so I gonna give it my best. I do not belong, or subscribe, however you say it, to any other blogs, or discussion boards.......my internet useage is limited to email and gossip sites.....yours is the first. And honestly, I only joined to see if someone who knows something about depression/anxiety meds could give me some advice. Ok, here's the sitch.....

I am a 30 year old mother of two, both girls, 10 and 3. I am unmarried, but do have a common law husband.......8 years in July. I have been depressed for as long as I can remember, but mostly due to some pretty extreme life circumstances, so I have never really felt like I was REALLY "depressed". I have had to rethink that stance, as most of the extreme circumstances have now passed, or at least gotten better, so I can't really convince myself that "mine is just SITUATIONAL depression, not DEPRESSION depression." Also, for the past 5+ years I have started having SEVERE panic attacks, and having periods of 2-4 weeks where I REALLY DON'T WANT TO LEAVE MY HOUSE.....like REALLY don't want to leave.....DO NOT WANT TO BE SEEN.......DO NOT WANT TO BE THOUGHT ABOUT!!!

I wasnt always like this. When I was younger, probably all the way up until I was 23 or so, I was fearless, social, well liked, funny, confident, and was known to all of my friends as the girl that "if anyone can do it, SHE can do it". I feel that I have lost that and I want to believe that if I had ever been given the right medication, it might just work. I have tried everything.....Paxil, Zoloft, Cymbalta........but here is the kicker. I am poor.....I have always been poor. No medical insurance, no Medicaid, paycheck to paycheck, poor. So, the only meds that a doctor will prescribe me are the ones that are cheap.

So here is the question. I have done some research on different meds and the only one's I haven't been prescribed are Welbutrin, Abilify, Prestiq, and I just read on here about Effexor, which sounds like a miricle. I know that the doctors at the free clinic won't prescribe them to me because they are expensive. I need to know how expensive.......would anyone taking any of these meds please give me a general idea of how much they cost? Also, any opinions on how they worked, how fast they worked, etc, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot, fellow crazies!!!

Sincerely,

Mary

PS. I feel exactly like that chick on the Prestiq commercial......only I don't have the means to wind myself up most days. I just want to WANT to get out of bed in the morning!

Welcome mary,

I can't speak to the effects of effexor etc as I haven't taken them but you may be able to get free med assist if you qualify. you can check out some of the pinned threads, I believe on the legal issues boards, on how to do this, i think (don't quote me). Someone else may come along with a specific link for you.

Anna

Hey, you're a kid! This was my first discussion board and I was in my 50s when I came here!

Anyway, welcome. I hope you can get some treatment for your depression and anxiety. Have you checked your local Dept. of Mental Health, or Social Services, or Public Health? It may be that you could see one of their counselors or psychologists if your income is really low. I personally think that therapy goes hand-in-hand with medications, so it would be great if you could get some counseling to help you with your various issues.

There are lots of inexpensive generics. I'm taking a generic WellbutrinXL that is very cheap at retail. However, we're not doctors here and we don't tell people what they should take. You really need to get professional help.

I know that VelvetElvis (our site administrator/Big Cheese) has mentioned patient assistance programs. I think those are run by the drug companies, but they are definitely worth checking out. Don't assume that there is no help available until you do some serious searching.

Good luck and I'm glad you joined us.

olga

Guest mary0430

Thanks for all the welcomes!!!! I was wondering, though, if anyone had some opinions on which medication works better between Welbutrin, Prestiq, Effexor, or Abilify..........I realize that different meds work for different people, but if anyone has had good luck, or a bad experience, with these meds, I would love to hear about it.....need all the info I can get, ya know? And these are literally the only meds I haven't been given yet.

PS.... in the state of South Dakota, where I'm from, if you are a female you can only get medical assistance if your pregnant, or if you get child support....of which I am neither. Dont even get me STARTED on the welfare system here!!!!

Wellbutrin is my friend. It is not the only med I need, but it has been a staple of my cocktail since 1989, the longest of any medication I have ever taken. If you smoke, you will probably cut back unconsciously, my smoking dropped from a pack to half a pack a day. I quit in 2001, though, without aids.

WB is pretty cheap these days, if you get a decent generic. But you still need to let pdoc decide, and then see what you can do with pt assistance and samples if needed, maybe a more expensive, newer med might be better for you.

i tend to go with 'best med' for me, and work out copays and whatnot as I go. My stupid, shitty copay for saphhris is $40 which is insane to me, but I would never go without it. pdoc wants me on cadillac lithhium for now, and that copay is also $40. i think i am going to talk to him about going back to generic though, that one seems a bit unreasonable, although it's fun to have the nice grey pills.... THIS month. The point is, you may have more options than you realize, and the idea is to start with what might work, try it (maybe with samples, which they may have) and go from there....

Anna

Archived