CrazyBoards.org

First, I want to know if this stuff is normal. And also, what to expect. Each time I quit, I get headaches, like that halo around your skull headache. My jaw gets tight and painful. I feel queasy and although I don't throw up, I have indigestion. It's not just about the irritability...I mean I'm always irritable. Is that normal? I also get really sleepy. So I end up not quitting cause I feel so crappy, and am magically better when I smoke...

I've never had any of the physical problems you describe when quitting (50+ attempts), but this site lists the following as common withdrawal symptoms:

Physical Symptoms

• Tingling in the hands and feet
  • Sweating
  • Intestinal disorders (cramps, nausea)
  • Headache
  • Cold symptoms as the lungs begin to clear (sore throats, coughing, and other signs of colds and respiratory problem)

Mental and Emotional Symptoms.
  • Feelings of being an infant: temper tantrums, intense needs, feelings of dependency, a state of near paralysis.
  • Insomnia
  • Mental confusion
  • Vagueness
  • Irritability
  • Anxiety
  • Depression is common in the short and long term. In the short term it may mimic the feelings of grief felt when a loved one is lost. As foolish as it sounds, a smoker should plan on a period of actual mourning in order to get through the early withdrawal depression.

I think all of your symptoms sound normal. I quit several times, and finally succeeded after smoking for 38 years. If you don't want the lung problems that I have, please consider trying again.

You feel sleepy because I think nicotine wakes you up a bit. When I quit, I used the patch so I could continue to get some nicotine for a while without the ciggies. Most of the patch boxes tell you to put it on when you get up in the morning, and take it off at bedtime. They say that so you can get a good night's sleep.

I had headaches, I smelled smoke wherever I went---I think it's normal to have weird things happen to your body. Remember, you are getting off an addictive drug.

If you are having trouble quitting, look around in your community and see if there are any Quit programs to help you. Sometimes the local hospital, or Dept. of Public Health, or the Lung Association will have programs you can go to. I quit with the help of a program at my hospital, and I had tried to quit 12 or 15 times before and couldn't.

Good luck and I hope you can do it.

olga

Thank you guys for your experiences and what I should watch out for. Well, I have sucked today...I've had like 7 cigarettes. So um...I really am trying but not today. Damn :( Maybe I WILL look into a support group or patches. I wish it didn't feel so good to smoke. But I've had a cough for over a month and will wake up in the middle of the night with a tight chest and a cough/wheezing. Not good. And I've only been smoking 2 months! WTF??

You may have a form of asthma that is aggravated by smoking. You might be allergic to the smoke. (That happened to my husband). If it is having such strong effects on you so quickly, you need to try again to quit. Look for one of those programs to help you.

If there isn't one, try this:

1) Set a definite quit date. (A day when you're visiting non-smokers like Grandma or attending a family gathering might work.)

2) The day before the quit day, wash out your ashtrays, or throw them away.

3) Tell all your friends that you're quitting so they can support you.

4) On Quit Day, any ciggies in the house should be submerged in water and thrown in the garbage. That way, they are not smokeable.

I hope that helps. You should also plan things to do when you first quit: hang out in libraries or other places that don't allow smoking. Take up knitting. Learn to play a musical instrument. Go for vigorous walks. Plan to do a lot of stuff so you aren't sitting in your house thinking about smoking.

olga

You can do it. I could only do it cold turkey, and the first month utterly sucked. The next 3 months were more psychologically wanting to have a cigarette at all my "standard" times. It took me about 2 years to stop thinking about smoking daily. I do still smoke in my dreams, but it is getting rarer and rarer.

My 10 year anniversary for quitting is two weeks after my 10 year wedding anniversary. :)

And you will cough up junk for a while, and catch every cold and flu, and wonder why you even quit. It will stop after about 18 months. I've been told it takes about that long for your new mucus membrane to heal enough to protect you normally. But since two years post-smoking, I rarely get colds or flus, maybe one a year. I used to catch EVERYTHING.

That said, I don't mind if my friends smoke around me. Even though it really doesn't smell good to me anymore, I just am able to deal with it, but I know a lot of ex-smokers cannot.

• 1 month later...

I tried quitting many times and failed many times. I finally feel like I am getting somewhere with the patches - I'm on the last step and I've taken it slow. Baby steps actually.

However, I feel like another addiction is cropping up and I can not really make sense of it but the only thing I have really changed since it started is the smoking.

I now seem to have the urge to shop online - to the point that I have spend our food money and electric bill money one months and so on. Luckily, I guess, I have no credit because I defaulted on a house while waiting on my disability.

The urge is really strong and I will obsess about my finds. Right now I am obsessing on some good deals on designer perfume and I do not even really wear perfume. The last bottle I got was 3 years ago for mt birthday from a friend and its still over half full. Another find is a coat good enough for Chicago weather but I live in Georgia - way south and it's almost spring. The most I really ever need is a light sweater down here except for a few days a year and this Christmas I got a nice heavy coat from my in laws for Christmas anyway.

This really feels as strong as the smoking urge was but I have never heard of it. I'm really confused about it and sorta desperate. I always thought things like shopping and gambling addictions were just excuses since there is no physical addiction involved - so I guess I deserve this one. I do get a sort of high off it - especially the anticipation and waiting for and the excitement of getting my packages and opening them.brooding.gif

Archived