CrazyBoards.org

Sickest and saddest, sled dogs massacred, after business slows.

Animal cruelty stories are always very upsetting to me, more so when they involve sled dogs, as I have two Siberian huskies. This one, though, is just unbelievable.

http://www.canada.com/news/Massacre+horrifies+shoots+sled+dogs+execution+style+after+Olympic+slowdown/4197145/story.html

The gist is that, a Canadian company offering sled dog rides to tourists found their business significantly dropped off, after peaking around the time of last year's Olympics. So, they instructed an employee to kill off 100 of their 300 dogs, which he did in the most grisly ways imaginable - mass grave, sloppy shooting, throat slitting, killing dogs in front of each other - just horrendous.

The thing I'm having an extra hard time with, though, is that the employee who did all the killing is now claiming PTSD. In fact, that's how the case initially came to the attention of authorities, via his applying for, and receiving, something like workman's compensation, so it's not even like he's making the claim in hopes of avoiding prosecution.

So, sure, I get being scared of losing your job, but still. He doesn't even claim to have been afraid for his job, and as he's listed as a director on the company website, I'd guess he had sufficient job security to refuse. It's more like he just kind of accepted it as part of his job description. Some things are just too horrific to do, no matter what. He most definitely had choices. He had the choice to refuse. He had the choice to carry out the killings less horribly. He had the choice to stop at any point after he'd started. That is actually the thing I'm having the hardest time wrapping my head around here. Day one, he does some killing. Goes home, stays home on day two, then on day three, goes and does the rest of the killing. So, I have a hard time understanding how, if he was so traumatized by his own actions, after having a whole day to contemplate and consider the situation, he could possibly have gone back for more.

I don't doubt that he feels terrible about what he did, as well he should. I'm sure he's having the nightmares, intrusive thoughts, etc., that he claims, again, as well he should. Feeling awful about something hideous you did yourself, though, I'm just not seeing as PTSD. More like guilt.

I saw the headline for this story this morning and could not bring myself to read it. I'm engaged in an email war with my sister today because the big blizzard is bearing down on us and we keep our huskies outside. These are not indoor animals and we have never incurred temps below -17 in my lifetime. They are well cared for by any measure.

But now that I know the details of the story I'm about to lose my lunch.

I've always groaned about the way most large-scale mushers raise their dogs. Usually 30 or more at a time, staked with a short length of chain with a small pile of straw on the ground. And treated more or less like livestock. So I shouldn't be so terribly appalled by this story. But I am.

I heard about this on the news this morning, so terrible, I almost had to pull over. Whistler is quite close to where I live and is a destination ski area for people around here. I don't have an opinion on the PTSD issue, that's for doctors - it's just unthinkable to me that this could have been okay to someone, anyone, ever.

And yes there are laws in Canada regarding animal cruelty, that's why there's now an investigation. But just like the U.S. crimes against animals are often left unprosecuted or are difficult to prosecute. People do horrible crap regardless of the laws in place.

Need to go hug my dog now.

Sad.

Amd yeah, i thought ptsd had to be something you witnessed or had done, not something you did to yourself. This is really stretching the definition, I'd think. I also think he'd have a hard time claiming real or percieved harm to himself, unless he was thinking he'd be prosecuted, which he clearly didn't at the time.

I mean, if he was a diretor.... Well, I don't know. I'll be a bit sickened if he gets benefits, to put it mildly.

Anna

I've always groaned about the way most large-scale mushers raise their dogs. Usually 30 or more at a time, staked with a short length of chain with a small pile of straw on the ground. And treated more or less like livestock. So I shouldn't be so terribly appalled by this story. But I am.

I agree that some large scale mushers aren't the best of all possible dog owners. But this is just a whole other level. They had 300 dogs, and he killed 100-150 of them in two days. From my involvement with rescue, I've seen and heard about a lot of hideous animal cruelty. Tied out dogs choking to death, puppies beheaded with chain saws, dogs thrown off roofs and set on fire, and used as bait for fighting, hoarders, large scale euthanasia when shelters close down, bad, bad, badness. But I'm pretty sure this is the worst thing I've ever seen.

And the guy is posting on assorted PTSD sights, with a picture of Sibes as his avatar.

I saw the headline for this story this morning and could not bring myself to read it. I'm engaged in an email war with my sister today because the big blizzard is bearing down on us and we keep our huskies outside. These are not indoor animals and we have never incurred temps below -17 in my lifetime. They are well cared for by any measure.

My beasts are totally jealous of the big blizzard. There's nothing they like more.

ugh. Iread about this on another forum, and it was a much mroe in depth article.

:Trigger:

about him shooting them as they were crawling out of the grave because he hadn't killed them fully yet

:Trigger:

I almost puked. Seriously, it would have been hard, but at least try to give some of the animals away, or find homes. Killing 100 poor dogs in such a brutal way? ERRRRG

I hope someone beats his ass.

Sad.

Amd yeah, i thought ptsd had to be something you witnessed or had done, not something you did to yourself. This is really stretching the definition, I'd think. I also think he'd have a hard time claiming real or percieved harm to himself, unless he was thinking he'd be prosecuted, which he clearly didn't at the time.

I mean, if he was a diretor.... Well, I don't know. I'll be a bit sickened if he gets benefits, to put it mildly.

Anna

He got them. He, "was awarded compensation in a ruling by WorkSafe BC, the provincial body that manages workers' compensation claims."

But, on the instant karma side of things, it was apparently the same provincial authority that turned him in. So there's that. In Canada, I think the maximum penalty for animal cruelty is 5 years. There's evidently been some speculation that he could be charged separately for the deaths of all the dogs, and given consecutive sentences. Or, you know, charges for 10 of the dogs could work, 20 maybe.

I just heard about this last night on my ride home ..

and it made me ill of course ..why wouldn't it make a human being sick at the idea someone could make this CHOICE to dispose of animals in this manner ...look at our slaughterhouses? is it because we do not eat dogs we find this so offensive...

there is no reason on this planet that they could not have been placed in foster homes and with animal rescue groups ..they are all over Canada ..please know Canadians are in love with animals ..we only hear the bad shit ...

we are just as bad here

I humanize my dogs but eat meat ...hypocracy? ..not really ...I believe that human beings are meant to eat a wide variety of available food ...but really over the years I have learned to make good choices and while I am still not perfect in my choices ...I do carefully choose what meat I eat by the conditions and quality of life they had and how they were butchered ..

what does one have to do with another? ..have you seen a chicken truck on the freeway in the US??? I consider cages shoved tight with chickens some living and some sick injured and dead just as reprehensible as this story

let's not even go to the beef industry ...

we can make excuses for everything but I am not seeing one damn good reason for this man to have had to do what he did to these dogs

if his mental health is declining ..well good it means he does have something inside him noting how disgusting and wrong what he did was? right?

My beasts are totally jealous of the big blizzard. There's nothing they like more.

our Sibes are totally stoked by the big dump. But I've moved several metric tons of snow between last night and this morning. I'm not sure I could even haul the sled outta the garage. But they keep looking at me ...I've got my first snow day in 25 years and feel like I'm neglecting them if I don't bring out the harnesses. They have no appreciation for my age. Maybe yet some time later this afternoon. After five or six Aleves...

When I initially read this in the "news" my heart ached and my stomach rebelled.

Although, the following article does not less the impact, nor alter the horrendous circumstances of this inhumane act, it does show the wondrous restoration that is possible for animals in the worst circumstances. (Yes, I do know several folks that either work or sponsor the Kanab, Utah facility>)

The Vicktory Dogs.

FWIW

I just heard about this last night on my ride home ..

and it made me ill of course ..why wouldn't it make a human being sick at the idea someone could make this CHOICE to dispose of animals in this manner ...look at our slaughterhouses? is it because we do not eat dogs we find this so offensive...

there is no reason on this planet that they could not have been placed in foster homes and with animal rescue groups ..they are all over Canada ..please know Canadians are in love with animals ..we only hear the bad shit ...

we are just as bad here

I humanize my dogs but eat meat ...hypocracy? ..not really ...I believe that human beings are meant to eat a wide variety of available food ...but really over the years I have learned to make good choices and while I am still not perfect in my choices ...I do carefully choose what meat I eat by the conditions and quality of life they had and how they were butchered ..

what does one have to do with another? ..have you seen a chicken truck on the freeway in the US??? I consider cages shoved tight with chickens some living and some sick injured and dead just as reprehensible as this story

let's not even go to the beef industry ...

we can make excuses for everything but I am not seeing one damn good reason for this man to have had to do what he did to these dogs

if his mental health is declining ..well good it means he does have something inside him noting how disgusting and wrong what he did was? right?

As a vegetarian, and hopefully once and future vegan, I have no cognitive dissonance on this at all. It's wrong to do it to chickens, and it's wrong to do it to dogs. That said, what goes on in slaughterhouses is endlessly more humane than what happened to these dogs. A lot of effort is made to keep the cows calm, for one thing. Because if one freaks out, they all do, and that's just bad for business. The shutes are constructed such that the cows don't see others being slaughtered, and I believe they're usually stunned before being very quickly killed, so they aren't suffering. Again, not necessarily out of concern for their well being, but because killing them quickly and cleanly is just more efficient, amd better for business. I know there are exceptions to these standards, and they have nothing to do with the wretched conditions in which many of the animals spend their lives, but still. They get much better deaths than those dogs did.

As far as rehoming the dogs, I have no idea how feasible that would have been. Rescue groups run out of space, and I know there tend to be a lot of sled dogs needing homes in that area. But he didn't even try, according to the local SPCA, he didn't contact them until well after the slaughter, to see about rehoming some of the remaining dogs.

When I initially read this in the "news" my heart ached and my stomach rebelled.

Although, the following article does not less the impact, nor alter the horrendous circumstances of this inhumane act, it does show the wondrous restoration that is possible for animals in the worst circumstances. (Yes, I do know several folks that either work or sponsor the Kanab, Utah facility>)

The Vicktory Dogs.

FWIW

I haven't read the latest on those dogs yet, but I remember maybe a year ago there was a big spread about some of them in Sports Illustrated. So many were doing so well, even after their horrible histories. With great families, even working as therapy dogs. Totally made me cry, but in a good way.

And vanderk, you do sledding? I am jealous, jealous, jealous! How many do you have?

Three Sibes at this time. Winter has been a brute this year, but not much snow. Until yesterday. We have access to local farm fields and horse tracks. If more scenery is needed we have a nice hunk of parkland about six miles to the north. It is a total gas to be with them doing what they love to do.

Archived