CrazyBoards.org

Stress->Anxiety->Sleepiness?

i started a new job a few weeks ago and the result was me feeling so tired every day i could barely keep my eyes open. i was sleeping through the night (like a baby lol) so just confused about why i was so tired. my job was not physically intensive. basically it was so bad i had to quit. i notice now, when i'm super stressed, the SAME THING happens. it's like i'm about to fall straight asleep. i can't keep my eyes open. right now i can because we have a blizzard and for 2 days life will stand still lol.

but is this medically actually possible? i notice i do have anxiety that's very uncomfortable even on days when i'm not stressed, but i don't do the sleep thing. just have needed my benzos more lately (as prescribed of course). does this happen to anyone else? thank you!

i started a new job a few weeks ago and the result was me feeling so tired every day i could barely keep my eyes open. i was sleeping through the night (like a baby lol) so just confused about why i was so tired. my job was not physically intensive. basically it was so bad i had to quit. i notice now, when i'm super stressed, the SAME THING happens. it's like i'm about to fall straight asleep. i can't keep my eyes open. right now i can because we have a blizzard and for 2 days life will stand still lol.

but is this medically actually possible? i notice i do have anxiety that's very uncomfortable even on days when i'm not stressed, but i don't do the sleep thing. just have needed my benzos more lately (as prescribed of course). does this happen to anyone else? thank you!

[/quote

Hi Ahalo,

Could it be your meds? I'm kind of like that with lexapro currently 15 mgs. I close my eyes every chance I get and just kind of doze even though i'm sleeping great. I see you don't tale Lex, but your on other stuff.

yes, ahalo, i do this too at times. i have no idea what to do about it - thank god serving coffee is my job heh (although sometimes my anxiety won't tolerate caffeine either, so i'm stuck at work with my eyelids literally drooping... i swear sometimes i even nod off sanding up just for a few seconds). when i'm at home and this happens, it's twice as hard to fight because i can lay down and get away with it. and it's got nothing to do with actually being tired, it's like my brain just decides it MUST shut everything down right NOW in response to high anxiety.

if i'm being proactive and taking my benzos before my anxiety gets bad (like, before i go to work), it's less likely that i'll feel a "sleep attack" like that even though i'll have less energy in general (due to the med sedation). so that little energy trade-off works sometimes. are you able to use your benzos this way and see if it helps at all?

Sometimes I get so mentally exhausted from anxiety that it manifests physically and I sleep any chance I get to just be able to shut down and not worry about anything! Then there's other times when I'm so anxious I can't sleep at all. It's weird how that works.

Sorry for not offering any gem here. Just wanted to say that I can experience the same thing from time to time.

chronic anxiety can cause sleepiness and sedation, yess, not an anxiety buzz over time... Anna

thanks everyone. i really hate this anxiety. even when NOTHING is happening, i just start feeling it and i don't get it. i am fine with treating it but if only there was a preventative i could take. i've tried so much already. my lithium has really just zapped away the depression and the manic/agitated states. but nothing on the anxiety. i guess not everything has a pill for a cure. i need to get a better therapist maybe, i feel like i can't talk to mine about what i need to work through. it's all about "are you going out with friends" not "how have you been feeling".

thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

Just wondering if you're still as tired? I find that when you start a job there are so many new things/ppl to cope with, I get very tired ... I don't think it's uncommon - even in 'normal' ppl.

On the other hand, I can also relate to wanting to sleep all the time to run away from anxiety.

Archived