CrazyBoards.org

how much 'help' should i expect from medication?

hi again.

i don't want to become a posting fool, but i have 2 more ?'s.

this one is about medication. i know there are no doctors here and i know each of us is very different in our response. but, this is my first severe depression (hospitalization, 12 ect's) and i have gone thru several medications the last 10 months. again, first time i have ever had 'serious' depression and taken meds.

i don't want to list the meds i have taken, or ask about specific medications or combos.. what i am asking specifically is;

how much of a boost, lift, back to normal feeling can one get/expect on these medications or combinations?

i'm not sure how much better i am supposed to feel on medication. has anyone gotten to remission from very severe depression? 50% better? from medication?

i know it will take a combination of things to get well. but i am in a dark hole and though the meds help me a little, i think, i stiil have ruminations, dark thoughts, no energy, etc. just hoping to god someone tells me 'a little light' comes on and that means the meds are kicking-in. is that not a realistic approach?

thanks so much for any advice or input.

john

ps i'm sure this may have been covered before. if it has, just post the link if you can. thanks again for the help!

John, it's okay to post the question. I think everyone who has taken a psych med has the same question in his/her mind when they start swallowing those pills. The link suzie mentions is a good post to read.

We're all so different in our reaction to drugs. The first 3 I tried had no effect whatsoever--it was like I was taking a placebo or something. Then I tried Cymbalta and it began to lift the black cloud. It gave me hope that ADs worked, but it didn't bring me all the way "up" and it also made me very sleepy. Sleeping all night and half the day is not a good thing for a depressed person.

When I tried WellbutrinXL, it had an effect on me the first week I took it. This is not typical for everyone, and many people feel nothing with WB. It just works with my brain chemistry, for whatever reason. You have to find the antidepressant that works with your brain chemistry.

I also feel that ruminations are not necessarily part of depression. My friends with anxiety have them, as well as some of the folks with OCD. If they are pretty constant with you, your pdoc and therapist need to address them with other drugs and/or coping techniques.

Getting your energy back will be up to you. If your drugs help you to function in a semi-normal way, then you have to take the initiative and start helping yourself. Eat healthy food, don't lie in bed when it's time to get up, exercise every day, etc. I think drugs can bring us maybe 60 to 70% of the way back to health, but the rest of it is up to us. Therapy, healthy living, doing something every day other than vegging out in front of the TV or computer.

But your pdoc and tdoc have to help you find an effective drug combination, no doubt about that.

olga

John, it's okay to post the question. I think everyone who has taken a psych med has the same question in his/her mind when they start swallowing those pills. The link suzie mentions is a good post to read.

Try >>THIS<<

Getting your energy back will be up to you. If your drugs help you to function in a semi-normal way, then you have to take the initiative and start helping yourself. Eat healthy food, don't lie in bed when it's time to get up, exercise every day, etc. I think drugs can bring us maybe 60 to 70% of the way back to health, but the rest of it is up to us. Therapy, healthy living, doing something every day other than vegging out in front of the TV or computer.

Well said!

Meds brought me from the brink of the abyss, but it took energy, effort, and more than a bit of determination to move away from the tendency to just sit on the edge and immerse myself in dullness, inactivity, and not be challenged by life.

When I find myself sliding back into depression it takes doing something, DOING, to keep the darkness at bay.

Therapy fine tuned the combination and activity.

Best wishes! Indigo

Archived