CrazyBoards.org

As I am slowly titrating up on Zyprexa, I can't help but wonder if there is another that is better.

There is a wealth of knowledge amongst the members here who have tried some,

dropped some, retried some, found the one that works best.

Care to share your "war stories" about the journey toward finding the right one and

which one that is for you at this time?

btw...I my dx is schizoaffective so I also take mood stabilizers (lithium and lamictal)

Thanks in advance for any responses which I will be interested to read.:loved:

My favorite was Geodon. I actually lost weight on it by exercising mildly and eating well. But that's huge, cause on others I gained weight regardless. It gave me great sleep. Made me feel neutral to life and not angry or scared. Risperdal was second favorite. I didn't gain weight on it but I couldn't lose either. It also helped me sleep and didn't snow me as bad as Geodon, but it made me extra paranoid and OCD for some reason. Seroquel didn't do much, Saphris made me furious and full of rage for no reason. Abilify is the devil for me. I couldn't sleep or sit still and it made me very angry and restless. But I'm not on any now cause they make me lose pleasure in life so yeah...

My favorite was Geodon. I actually lost weight on it by exercising mildly and eating well. But that's huge, cause on others I gained weight regardless. It gave me great sleep. Made me feel neutral to life and not angry or scared. Risperdal was second favorite. I didn't gain weight on it but I couldn't lose either. It also helped me sleep and didn't snow me as bad as Geodon, but it made me extra paranoid and OCD for some reason. Seroquel didn't do much, Saphris made me furious and full of rage for no reason. Abilify is the devil for me. I couldn't sleep or sit still and it made me very angry and restless. But I'm not on any now cause they make me lose pleasure in life so yeah...

That's good to know about your experience with Geodon. I don't know much about that one at all. I 've been on Seroquel before (for sleep). Also have heard negative

testimonies about Abilify.....but it must work for some folks, its still out there.

Zyprexa and Abilify gave me nasty akathisia. Geodon made me crazy. Seroquel makes me congested at low doses and gave me problems at higher ones. I have not tried Saphris or Fanapt or whatever else is new. Risperdal works well for me.

What one person says is a good or bad med for her does not mean much for you.

Zyprexa works well for me, but I gain weight on it. Abilify for me feels like I'm taking water. I don't feel anything. I guess it's working because I'm not having psychotic symptoms. The first anti-psychotic I tried was risperdal, but it raised my prolactin so my pdoc took me off it. I also took seroquel for a while. I don't know if I was on too low of a dosage, but it helped with aggitation but didn't touch the delusions/hallucinations I was having.

It's not an anti-psychotic but a drug that worked well for me to control mania and the psychotic symptoms that went along with it is depakote, but I don't take it anymore. Your mood stabilizers probably help in that way, too.

I think zyprexa is a good med and I would give it a chance.

My dx is schizoaffective, too.

Guest Vapourware

As everyone's experiences are different, I don't know how useful this will be but anyways...

I can't decide on my favourite as yet. If you had asked me last year, I would've said ziprasidone by far, because it made me functional, is weight-neutral and has helped stabilised my mood. However, it's also messing around with my sleep [hello, random sedation and insomnia] so now it's become more of a pain in the ass than anything else. I don't like being sedated in the morning, especially when I have to drive. That's dangerous.

The other contender for me is Abilify, which didn't have as much of a side-effect profile as ziprasidone. I took it at night, it gave me a good night's sleep, I woke up in the morning and went about with my day. Unfortunately it also stopped working, but if it had kept working it would have been an alright drug for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive had seroquel zyprexa geodon and abilify. Geodon and abilify both worked but at higher levels caused akathesia. I dont remember the geodon dose but with abilify i didnt get it til 25 mg. Im on 10 now and it is suffcient. I really liked them both... as for the others Seroquel was too sedating and zyprexa had the weight gain.

My favorite antipsychotic is Clozaril because it is the only antipsychotic that works for me with a lack of side effects.

I've been on multiple other antipsychotics but I've had various side effects from them such as muscle stiffness, akathisia, etc.

I'm glad to be on Clozaril as it works best for my schizoaffective symptoms.

I think you shouldn't really judge what you take based upon other people's experiences. Everyone is different. Like above where someone liked Geodon.. that was the worst med I'v ever taken, but that should not play a part on you and your pdoc's decision. Give them a try and see what works for you.

I will say this however, I don't think Zyprexa is a good long-term med. It can help, but it also messes up your metabolism to the point where you gain weight without any reason. This in turn can lead to being very overweight and bring the problems associated with that. Diabetes for example. In the end, I don't think it's a good choice & should only be used as a crisis med. But that's just my opinion.

I am happy with Seroquel, It keeps me calm and sane...my doctor started me on Abilify, it made me walk for 3 days, REALLY 3 long days, no sitting or sleep, I ended up in the ER pacing back and forth in the small room they put me in...Seroquel has some side affects that I have become very used to, lightheadedness when I get bumped up in dosage and I have a mouth thing where I bite down hard or clench my jaw

My favourite by far has to be Zprexa but it made me gain weight so had to come off of it. Unlike some people, it gave me tons of energy. I walked miles and miles while I was on it. But I still gained weight. Couldn't control the food cravings. My second favourite has got to be Abilify which has been weight neutral so far.

For me, it's saphris, by a country mile. have been on almost all of them except geodon (would not try that one due to my extremely poor experiences with abilify and their similarity) and seroquel has been my aap of choice since about 1999 with brief forays into lands of zxprexa (med induced bulemia) risperdal (loved it, but it made me lactate and killed my sex drive completely) and abilify (made me batshit insane in 2 days, sent me to the hospital for a month).

seroquel has been a near constant due to its ability to make me sleep but it's killing my cholesterol and I am going through some life stressors and was trying to bump the dose during the day leading to stuperous fatigue and cutting off a motorcycle cop, so I called pdoc and asked for the switch.

I ADORE saphris and rave about it to everyone, in case you haven't noticed. Last night was my first night without seroquel and I get no side effects from saphris and feel AWESOME. Yes, you read that right. no side effects. None. No fatigue, no nothing. Doc is hoping it will lower my cholesterol as well....

Anna

I started on seroquel it made me sleepy, day time sedation was terrible.

then zyprexa, it made me fatter.

the geodone it was side effect neutral and controlled my symptoms for awhile then it completely stopped working.

clopixal was next and that sedated me more then seroquel so i came off it. I was also on the fortnightly injections but it did nothing for the psychosis.

thorazine made me a zombie and i wasn't on it long enough to say how it controlled my symptoms.

im sure there are others that i have forgotten about. I have been in hospital about 7times in the past 2 years for month long stays were they tried lots of things/

and that brings me to clozapine, how i love and hate thee.

It has taken away the psychosis completely, i haven't heard voices in a month.

It does make me tiered the next day, but i don't want to give it up.

I am on a hefty dose and my blood levels are way up there so we are tying to titrate down to see how it affects me. But we are not going to start that until i titrate down on the antidepressant.

I don't mind having to have the blood test, its like 15 minutes once a month.

Clozaril has helped me so much. I would recommend it.

I've been on Abilify for years - 3 I think - and it works well for me. I am less depressed, I am less irritable, I sleep well (or as well as you can when your Li makes you get up to pee). I had some insomnia and blurry vision the first couple of weeks, but no side effects otherwise, and no weight gain. It's great stuff. However, I really need to take it with Li. Without the Li, I actually get a little more irritable, with the Li it helps control the irritability better than the Li alone. Sounds farfetched, but it actually works that way.

I've also taken Zyprexa (just the thing for a manic episode, too sedating when not manic, made me gain weight), Invega (had EPS) and Saphris (had EPS). My insurance won't pay for Seroquel or Geodon, and after the problem with Invega, my pdoc will not prescribe risperidone for me. That covers most of them.

For me, they all work. SImple as that. I haven't taken one that hasn't worked. Its a matter of seeing how much D2 blocking I can squeeze out of them before the side-effects become intolerable. For me, they rank as follows:

1. Prochlorperazine

2. Zyprexa

3. Risperidone

4. Geodon

5. Seroquel

6. Abilify

Unfortunately, my pdoc doesn't want me on Prochlorperazine since it is a Typical. I got scripted it way back when. However, he loves Zyprexa and so do I, so I just take that. It works great. Right around 15mg is where the side effects become "too much", but I can effectively control symptoms at 7.5-10mg a night, or, as PET scans reveal (not on myself of course), around 72% D2 blockade, which is in the "sweet spot" so they say. I am a little annoyed by the weight gain, but I know that if diabetes ever threatens, there are medications for it. I get blood work every three months to check that stuff, and so far I am good, and I have regularly taken it for 4 or 5 years.

Archived