CrazyBoards.org

I feel like Eeyore

Sort of like I don't expect anything good to happen... and I expect authority figures to screw me over, or make bad decisions and that makes me angry and bitchy. It's like the universe is against me. I don't know if it's paranoia, or something else completely different but I'm pretty sure people notice this and think it's weird.

I knew someone in RL who identified with eeyore a bit. Eeyore slippers, eeyore plushies, etc... and his personality is very much the same too. But he wasnt in touch with the depression so he didnt see it as a problem. Youre 10x further along than that, if you know something is up.

That 'negative anticipation' is pretty common. Maybe its because we fear failing so much that we begin to expect it everywhere so we can have control over it. depression feeds into that, and it feeds into the depression as well, in a cycle.

Hope you have a therapist to help you sort this out

Sort of like I don't expect anything good to happen... and I expect authority figures to screw me over, or make bad decisions and that makes me angry and bitchy. It's like the universe is against me. I don't know if it's paranoia, or something else completely different but I'm pretty sure people notice this and think it's weird.

Someone told me I *sounded* like Eyore the other day -- i said something like, "Well, I guess blah blah blah blah blah" in that Eyore tone.

I think he just frames things negatively. I try and force myself to reframe my thoughts sometimes (I'm not always successful) but even if it doesn't sound genuine, I guess fake it till you make it?

I did too, when younger... Updated there's always Marvin the paranoid android: "Life, don't talk to me about life" "Loath it or ignore it, you can't like it."

and of course the perfect Eeyore-style line: "I'm not getting you down, am I?"

But there is the defence that low expectations (especially of human nature) are derived from accurate repeated observations. Anything else is rose-tinting.

I did too, when younger... Updated there's always Marvin the paranoid android: "Life, don't talk to me about life" "Loath it or ignore it, you can't like it."

But there is the defence that low expectations (especially of human nature) are derived from accurate repeated observations. Anything else is rose-tinting.

Personally I would LOVE to have the problem of being too optimistic/rose-tinted... I think I could fix that one pretty easily.

yeah, you could say there have been accurate repeated observations. That sure doesn't help. I do seem to do this when I'm more on the depressed side... so I guess it could be a cycle. I do try to reframe it in a better light, but it's harder when I'm in a dumpy mood already... everything just comes out angry.

yeah, you could say there have been accurate repeated observations. That sure doesn't help.

I've never been able to buy the rose tinted when I couldn't justify it (good stuff *is* out there, and does happen)

But I've managed to develop a sort of detachment from it which wroksa fair bit of the time. Not quite resignation, I don't think, but something dispassionate.

A Buddhist, which I'm not, might have better words.

It's tied in with accepting the world is not as I'd wish it, yet not raging at, or sinking under, that. While still doing my little bit locally.

(The starfish on the beach principle?)

Yeah, but it's also a bit to do with external, rather than internal, attributions of cause for events in your life. If things go bad because of other peoples' intentions or actions, well, it lets you off the hook, but it also leaves you powerless.

oh marvin, i love him. But isn't he everyone's favorite?? seriously..... His lines are TOO good.

He survived the film a little less mangled than everything else (with the notable exception of Slartibartfast, which Billy Nighy and decent special effects delivered nicely.)

Yeah, but it's also a bit to do with external, rather than internal, attributions of cause for events in your life. If things go bad because of other peoples' intentions or actions, well, it lets you off the hook, but it also leaves you powerless.

This is true. The "master of my own fate" line doesn't really account for drunk-drivers sharing the road with you, etc. But dwelling on that and disproportionately attempting to eliminate all risk and contingency just opens up a new range of pitfalls.

This is true. The "master of my own fate" line doesn't really account for drunk-drivers sharing the road with you, etc. But dwelling on that and disproportionately attempting to eliminate all risk and contingency just opens up a new range of pitfalls.

Sure, there are always plenty of things beyond anyone's control. But a good amount of research has consistently found a correlation between an external locus of control, and depression. Which makes sense, especially given the parallels between learned helplessness in animal studies, and the symptoms of human depression.

Losing all hope....was freedom"

Fight Club

peace

Kind of out of context. In Fight Club, the loss of hope meant more of a disengagement from culturally constructed aspirations, and living outside of that cultural framework entirely.

Oh, everyone dies in the last book. I hope I'm not ruining anyone's party here, but I sort of feel that D. Adam's sudden heart attack was karma for doing that to the last book. Yeah.

Anna

I still have no idea what you people are talking about.

Archived