CrazyBoards.org

Stand up. Walk around. Sit down. Fiddle. Get up. Walk around

Does anyone have any advice for how to calm yourself down when you can't sit still and have the attention span of...well....me? I don't know if it's all the sun we're getting today combined with the vitamins I've started taking, or if I'm headed toward some sort of mania, or if I'm just feeling whacked out today for no discernible reason, but I'm driving myself crazy and can't get any damned work done. And it's important that I do it! Arrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhh.

Maybe cabin fever has finally made me lose my mind. *glares at snow*

Whatever the cause may be, does anyone have any suggestions to calm me the fuck down? a;sdlfjka s;dlf ajs;fdo ajsp; iojes

Thanks.

Without knowing what meds you're on, and what, if any, prn's are available to you, it's hard to make any suggestions, beyond telling you to call your pdoc ASAP, rather than giving this the chance to get any worse.

Without knowing what meds you're on, and what, if any, prn's are available to you, it's hard to make any suggestions, beyond telling you to call your pdoc ASAP, rather than giving this the chance to get any worse.

Just taking Amitriptyline currently. And Vitamins C and D3 and birth control (not new)

I'm with SS on calling pdoc, if this continues. Otherwise, some mediation, or some vigorous exericse, to clear your head, and get you settled. But, if it's a true episode, you may need something stronger than coping skills.... Good luck.

Anna

Just taking Amitriptyline currently. And Vitamins C and D3 and birth control (not new)

How long have you been on the Amitriptyline? If you are BP1 like your sig says, you could definitely be headed into an episode.. especially since you're not taking a mood stabilizer. I think you should call your pdoc too.

How long have you been on the Amitriptyline? If you are BP1 like your sig says, you could definitely be headed into an episode.. especially since you're not taking a mood stabilizer. I think you should call your pdoc too.

I've been on the amitriptyline for 2 years I think? A while, anyway. It's a low dose....not for psych issues, but for chronic pain.

I haven't been taking a mood stabilizer for quite some time now. Made migraines considerably more frequent, and I've been doing fine without them.

Did stop taking Wellbutrin almost 2 mos ago.

Just trying right now to look for some coping skills. If this doesn't go away over the weekend, it'll be time to visit the pdoc & the pharmacy, methinks. In the mean time, I'm just trying to deal. Moods have been a little swingier than usual, but yesterday and the day before were considerably miserable because of the lack of attention span and way too much energy. The thing is though, it doesn't *feel* like what happens when I normally start to get hypo/manic. There is no grandiosity or urge to hump everything in sight.

We'll see where this leads.... hrumph.

Thanks for the input guys & chicas.

Could use some non-drug advice if anyone else is feeling up to it. :)

I've been on the amitriptyline for 2 years I think? A while, anyway. It's a low dose....not for psych issues, but for chronic pain.

I haven't been taking a mood stabilizer for quite some time now. Made migraines considerably more frequent, and I've been doing fine without them.

Did stop taking Wellbutrin almost 2 mos ago.

If this doesn't go away over the weekend, it'll be time to visit the pdoc & the pharmacy, methinks.

Ahh.. ok - it makes sense then.

That sounds like a good plan.

The thing is though, it doesn't *feel* like what happens when I normally start to get hypo/manic. There is no grandiosity or urge to hump everything in sight.

Well that's positive.

Just trying right now to look for some coping skills. In the mean time, I'm just trying to deal. Moods have been a little swingier than usual, but yesterday and the day before were considerably miserable because of the lack of attention span and way too much energy.

Could use some non-drug advice if anyone else is feeling up to it. :)

When I start to feel this way, I pop a Xanax... but for years I didn't have that. Instead, I would do a combo of walking around in circles to let out a little energy, talking to myself out-loud to both focus my thoughts and slow them down - your mind works faster than your speech, some meditation stuff, and pausing to simply sit down and breath deep breaths. There was some visual meditation that I did when I was more unfocused - close your eyes and envision a scene or object, feel it, smell it, hear it.. to the best of your ability. One thing I loved to see was a lit candle. The flame was my energy and I released it with the flame moving about and then stilled it in my mind to still myself. There was/is another form of meditation where you simply still yourself physically and mentally. So sit down and do the deep breathing, close your eyes, see the dark. Hear the thoughts bouncing around in your head - then stop them - silence. It's much more difficult, but more effective (hence the present tense). When I do this, I find there are two levels. One, the silence of everything but the thought of "don't think." Two, the removal of that thought. A completely blank mind. This can only be held for so long, a few seconds to almost half a minute (for me) until you bounce back to the don't think mantra. It's like being in control without being in control - if you can wrap your mind around that. Perhaps almost around the point (mentally) that you get to right before falling asleep.

Is this making enough sense?

Avoid caffeine. Dark sunglasses (sounds stupid, but it helps me - I just tell people I have a migraine when I do it). Sleep as much as possible - take a Benadryl if needed.

As for calming the squirrely brain, can you try mindfulness exercises? They sound nearly impossible to do in that state, but you might be able to get sucked in to something for awhile. Here are a few:

1. Take a pile of beans. Move in the pile to another side of the table with your index finger. Start a new pile. When your thoughts wander, bring yourself back to the beans. Look at the bean. Notice it's color. Feel the texture on your finger tips, etc.

2. Observe your hand on a cool or warm surface. Note if it's smooth or rough, the color, etc.

3. Observe yourself sitting in a chair. How does the chair feel against your back? Notice how your feet feel on the floor. Are your arms at your sides? Relax them, and notice them hanging there. Etc.

You can probably find more exercises on the web.

I recommend the Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook for Bipolar Disorder. It's in the Crazystore.

Mindfulness exercises might help slow your thinking down and meditation never hurt anything (except when you are so off that it leads to increased frustration, in which case I still say the fast walking, etc.)

Sunglasses, a million times yes, dark therapy, like, works.

Anna

When I get all agitated and can't calm down (but don't have any mania behaviors of stuff like obsessively cleaning) I will literally watch TV in my living room while walking in a big circle between the TV and couch. It's a bit weird, but eventually I get tired and can sit down without the creepy crawlies.

Archived