CrazyBoards.org

Has anyone actually recovered from BPD?

And I don't actually mean has someone been "cured" or whatever...but I mean have they gone into a "remission" for years at a time, or even for the rest of their lives? Like sure, antidepressants work for awhile, but it's not like I can afford therapy the REST of my life. I feel I have gotten better simply by getting older, but I still suck in so many ways. Why all the attention getting? Why the cutting and substance abuse? Why the manipulation? As I said, I have actually gotten better by myself and with some help, but I can't imagine never having the cravings I have to act out. Having better self esteem? Seems impossible. Trusting people? Yeah right. It's a stupid cycle. Sometimes I'll be "better" for even 4 months at a time...but then it gets hardcore bad. I'm discouraged. I don't mind being on Pristiq forever as long as I can afford it. But to think I need treatment my whole life sucks. I'm already Type 1 Diabetic and that's a big enough burden by itself to take care of!

I don't know what remission would be like from this. The best I get is periods of depression when something other than BPD is ruling my actions. I'd love to think that it is possible to 'recover' from this but the best I've ever heard of is learning to control the actions even though you still feel the same inside... I don't really think that's good enough to call it remission though.

• 9 months later...

I am 25 now and feel like I've improved a whole lot since my teens . I used to be so much more introverted , would feel depression , cry almost every day, had no stable friendships or relationships, low self esteem etc...

But through some therapy, independence from my family, anti depressant , and a Lot of research and soul searching and making my time with myself positive and not lonely , I feel like I am a pretty functional human being and that feels so awesome :)

I feel it's true what I have occasionally read that bpd gets better with age bc that is what's happened to me .

I do still have issues I want to work on (enjoying sex not attention, not letting people frustrate me...) but I am able to recognize these issues and tackle them bc I see how that's worked in the past for me .

I also recognize that I have and always will be a very sensitive person but I can learn how to control it more than it controls me .

There's my two cents , I hope it gives some hope.

I've just replaced all my unhealthy relationships with one healthy one...wait I don't think that solved anything. Regardless I do have a much clearer sense of self than when I was younger, about the important things at least. However, I can't for the life of me decide what I want for dinner or other smaller aspects of my life.

Archived