CrazyBoards.org

I'm infected by my genetics(or questions about side effects associated with Risperdal)

This totally has to do with side effects, but I've been on risperdal for two days, taken it twice before bed, just 0.5 mg, and I read that one of the more serious side effects is hyperglycemia. High blood sugar. Guess what that means. My father's blood sugar was all fucked up, too. So, in essence, I AM infected by my genetics. I thought that would be a catchy title, because in essence, we all are infected by our genetics and by our environments. Or maybe it's me being a Repo! nerd.

What I'm worried about is this: I've been peeing like a racehorse. I was on the phone last night and I was just .. peeing forever. For. Ever. Every ten minutes? "I have to pee." And this morning when I got up-- well, this afternoon, two o'clock, an hour ago, gotta get ready for my tdoc appointment--the first thought on my mind was water. I need water. I need lots of water.

Now, with my light paranoia, I could be taking the common drymouth and running with it like a crazy person, but combined with the frequent urination, I don't know if that's a coincidence. On my dad's side there's a lot of diabetes. My cousin has it, my dad had it, some of my uncles do, hell, it's like a coming of age thing on the Mexican side of my family. I've forgotten who all has it. THAT'S how common it is. Maybe I'm just being paranoid and the risperdal hasn't zapped the paranoia quite yet.

Either way, I'm a little nervous because I don't want this medication to give me anything terrible because I'm in this to get better, not get sicker or worse by any standards.

So, that rambling aside, should I be worried? I'm not experiencing any of the other side effects associated with hyperglycemia(unusual hunger, unusual weakness,) so I'm not sure if my paranoia is entirely founded in truth or not.

Thanks, guys.

That's a *really* low dose, and I'm pretty sure that the risk of hyperglycemia with AAP's is usually when you're on a higher dose for a long time. (Don't quote me on that, though.)

If you're worried, the easiest thing to do would be to go to your doctor and ask for a blood glucose test. All it takes is a finger stick and a minute or two to get the readout.

This totally has to do with side effects, but I've been on risperdal for two days, taken it twice before bed, just 0.5 mg, and I read that one of the more serious side effects is hyperglycemia. High blood sugar. Guess what that means. My father's blood sugar was all fucked up, too. So, in essence, I AM infected by my genetics.

Being a little dramiatic here, are not you.

Diabetes I is less genetic than diabetes II, fyi.

nf

This totally has to do with side effects, but I've been on risperdal for two days, taken it twice before bed, just 0.5 mg, and I read that one of the more serious side effects is hyperglycemia. High blood sugar. Guess what that means. My father's blood sugar was all fucked up, too. So, in essence, I AM infected by my genetics.

Being a little dramiatic here, are not you.

Diabetes I is less genetic than diabetes II, fyi.

nf

Paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia.

Yeah, I guess I am being a bit dramatic, but I guess it is true. I'm not too worried, but my dad did have diabetes II. I will get this checked out, but it's not a big thing.

Thank you, still. You guys are awesome for dealing with my paranoia and giving me some good answers.

I was on risperdal, and pissing all the damn time, waking up in the middle of the night.

Off risp, I was fine.

Back on, I'm pissing all the time again.

I've been Type I diabetic for 27 years. It doesn't matter what my blood sugar is, high, low, in between, I'm thirsty and gotta piss. FWIW I'm on topamax and lamictal too but this has been more pronounced on risperdal. .5 mil evening and morning.

If you're really worried, invest in a blood sugar meter.

You can put your mind at rest by getting a blood test and really I think you should. Better safe than sorry, you don't want to have your teeth start falling out before anyone decides to take you seriously.

I was on risperdal, and pissing all the damn time, waking up in the middle of the night.

Off risp, I was fine.

Back on, I'm pissing all the time again.

I've been Type I diabetic for 27 years. It doesn't matter what my blood sugar is, high, low, in between, I'm thirsty and gotta piss. FWIW I'm on topamax and lamictal too but this has been more pronounced on risperdal. .5 mil evening and morning.

If you're really worried, invest in a blood sugar meter.

I believe that. Holy crap, thank you, that alleviates some of my fears. I'm always thirsty anyway, and I used to have an expanding bladder, but combined with risperdal it's gotten smaller. Thank you very much, man, that helps. My dad had a blood sugar meter, and I don't think it works anymore, but I'll ask my doctor about them just to be safe.

You can put your mind at rest by getting a blood test and really I think you should. Better safe than sorry, you don't want to have your teeth start falling out before anyone decides to take you seriously.

I think I'll get a blood test to boot. It'll quiet those fears of mine and it'll help a lot. Like you said, better safe than sorry. Thank you, too!

I don't think just from 2 days at that low of a dose you'd show any increase in blood sugar. I took zyprexa and was pissing all the time so i bought a blood sugar tester at walmart and tested my own, it was a little high but that was after months on the med.

Archived