CrazyBoards.org

how do you get a diagnosis of hoarding?

how does one get a diagnosis of hoarding? partner was channel surfing last night and landed on a program on hoarding. i couldn't watch. it was too much like my basement. partner eventually surfed further because out basement really bugs him.

today i went looking for info. cr*p. i never should have done this. this has really sent me into an anxiety attack. some of things i found looked like my house when i lived alone. cr*p. cr*p. cr*p. what do i do? is there any hope? i really really really can't deal with this right now.

should i talk to tdoc about it?

Definitely talk about tdoc about it.

Most people who hoard or have hoarding tendencies have something much deeperthan just the stuff.

Tdoc would be a great place to bring up.

If/when you are ready, finding the root of why the stuffmake s you so anxious can help you to move past it. Why you need to keep it. etc.

I'd say definteily the place to start talking about it would be with your therapist. If you can stand it, bring pics of your basement and talk about your feelings about it. That could be a defintely starting/jumping off point.

You may just be messy or overwhelmed, or have a true problem.

Do you get anxious about getting rid of it, or jutst the sheer effort of sorting through it and tidying it up? that's one criteria, for example. Tdoc can help you with others..

Anna

It's not a disorder in and of itself, it's an OCD subtype.

Here's an awesome book on it that I just read recently:

http://astore.amazon...tail/015101423X

yeah, that was the one that when i read the interview and saw the pictures, sent me over the edge. my living room, mild edging slightly towards moderate. my basement, severe.

is there a way to order from amazon uk and crazyboards can get credit for it? or does that only work at amazon.com? if i order from amazon.com i get hit with international shipping, vat and duty.

thank you for your responses.

rowen: i've done cbt with tdoc for panic attacks. how does it work for hoarding?

dianthus, chemistryexperiment and anna, yes, i will bring it up with tdoc on monday. it's not just the stuff, it is my attachment to it. the fact that i have stuff that i've boughten that i don't use. that i don't need. and i can't get rid of it. because i might need it some day. it might come in handy.

partner took a pile of papers to the recycling center, that i hadn't sorted through. i was distraught, even though i knew that it was probably irrational, that the articles that i wanted to cut out i could go to the library and photocopy them. and what if something other than newspapers had ended up in that pile and got thrown away? what if there was something IMPORTANT there? so, yeah. i think it is more than just about having a lot of stuff or being messy.

it's not just the stuff, it is my attachment to it. the fact that i have stuff that i've boughten that i don't use. that i don't need. and i can't get rid of it. because i might need it some day. it might come in handy.

You have described the difference between hording and being messy.

nf

Archived