CrazyBoards.org

Will I be OK off Abilify for four days?

I get Abilify samples from my pdoc. I couldn't see her earlier in the week, and I really don't want to see her today (hour drive, impossible parking, etc.). I took my last dose Wednesday night. Given Abilify's long half-life, am I likely to be OK if I wait until Monday, or do I owe it to my unsuspecting family to take care of this today?

Take care of it if you can. You will get withdrawal with this period of time. How big of a deal that is depends on how sensitive you are to the med. 5mg to nothing is a pretty normal jump.

Normally I'd say to go begging at your pharmacist.. but that's not a possibility here. One, you've never had a script for it at the pharmacy so they would have no proof that you're supposed to be on it. Two, it's simply too expensive to be given away (personal experience), and I have a suspicion that they probably can't sell medication without a script.

Having your pdoc call it in is a good idea, but you'll want to have insurance. Like I said, it's expensive.

I REQUESTED to go off 5mg once. . . that wasn't such a good idea. Apparently it was doing more than I thought, because shortly after(I can't tell you how long, it could have been days) I freaked the hell out and became a basketcase again. Just throwing my experience in there. I wish I knew how long it was before this took place.

But I'd say you might as well deal with small annoyances to avoid going through what I did, even though you may not in just a few days, you still might. Not fun.

Well, I took everyone's advice and called. Just my luck, she is out of the office today. I made an appt. for Monday morning. I doubt I would be able to reach her before then, she has no one who covers for her, and I know she will not call something in unless it's their fault I need it called in (e.g. they have to cancel my appt.). Lots of rules, but that's what you have to put up with to have a pdoc who takes your insurance.

In the meantime, I have Zyprexa in the house. Would you take that until Monday?

Do you have any psychotic features?

No. The Abilify currently helps to keep the depression and irritability at bay. I'm most worried that I will spend the weekend screaming at everyone.

I wouldn't take it then. I mean if you get super bad, you could try.. but AAP's aren't just interchangeable. Even then, I wouldn't take it for mood, but withdrawal symptoms.

It would be best to just ride it out.

I'd wait it out, it does have a long half life, you MAY be fine, if things get too too horrible then might be the time to consider the zyperxa.

Don't do it without asking the pdoc first though! Zprexa might do little mroe than have you sleep through any worst w/d effects, that is what it would do to me...

Anna

I really hope you're ok over the weekend. But I also really hope you won't be so careless with your meds in the future. You've been pretty stable for a while (I think?) and being off meds, even just for a few days can be destabilizing for longer than you'd think. It isn't always, probably isn't even usually, but it can be, and it's just not worth the risk.

Just for the record, it's been my experience, in a few different states, that whatever the med, aside from controlled substances, if it's something a pharmacy has records of you taking as a maintenance med, they'll give you 2-3 days worth, in an emergency. Well, not give, you're paying for it, but they'll advance it to you, till you can get your prescription sorted.

Archived